Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

I think perhaps this plays into the question that was raised on FR a while back about whether there will ever be an X-E3. If not, and the X-T10 is to become Fuji's offering at that price point, then it would be nice to think that Fuji would go out with a bang as give us X-E owners one final comprehensive update.

On the other hand, if they are still undecided about the future of the X-E range it would make sense for them to hold off since they would want to offer some of these kind of capabilities in a new X-E3.

price wise, I think that is where X-10 is heading. 

Fuji has the EVF-less/entry tier model with tilt screen (X-Ax)  to compete with Sony a5xxx and Olympus PEN

Fuji has the EVF mid tier models with tilt screen (X-T10) to compete with Sony a6000 and Olympus OM-D E-M10

Fuji has the EVF top tier models with tilt screen/weather resistant/more controls (X-T1) to compete Sony A7ii and Olympus OM-D E-M1

What would X-E compete with? 

Why would there have to be a 1:1 correspondence to specific models of the competition? Just because Olympus requires you to choose between a built-in DSLR-like viewfinder above the optical axis (OM-D) and an optional EVF, also above the optical axis (PEN), that doesn’t mean that Fuji couldn’t offer a model with a built-in electronic viewfinder placed like a rangefinder.

Isn't the Sony a6000 that I list above an EVF rangefinder style body? Yet it competes directly against the DSLR style OM-D EM-10 that I listed in the same category. Therefore I'm not sure I follow your point about there needing to be a 1:1 correspondence on the basis of body styling.

Or are you trying to state that A6000 and EM-10 are not direct competitors because of body style and therefore Fuji should make X-T10 to target the EM-10 while it continues to make X-E bodies to target the A6000?

Competition between models is in the mind of the prospective buyer. Someone fancys two or three cameras from different vendors and contemplates which one to choose. A vendor trying to sell a system wouldn’t necessarly care about one of their own models competing against models from other vendors. In fact they may opt to design a model that, say, neither corresponds to a competitor’s model A or B, but rather sits right between those two. Which, for example, is what Canon and Nikon often have done. A system vendor wouldn’t necessarily claim their product X was better than a competitor’s model Y, but that their system offered a better choice than the competitor’s system.

Not interested in X-T body whether top line single digit or dumb down double digit, prefer the handling of Olympus E-M1.  What does interest me is this, will there be an X-E3, at present I use an X-E1 and as time has gone by I am debating whether to purchase the very attractively priced X-E2 or wait awhile longer.  Perhaps Rico has an answer as the whether Fuji will continue with the X-E line or not, general consensus seems to be the X-E line has come to an end, this from talking to a few dealers who are of that opinion.  Of course this could be dealer talk to dispose of current stock before a new model comes out but when the same story comes from numerous dealers one has to consider that as true.  Has Fuji lost it's way and ready to abandon the range-finder style in favour of the SLR style of body.  I certainly hope not as the Fuji SLR does not hold any appeal to me.

Personally, I don't think we'll see another X-E series camera. A local camera dealer had told me as much at the end of last year, though perhaps that was coincidence as I was trading in my X-E1 for an X-E2.  ;)

I'd love to see one more firmware update in the AF department for the X-E2.

Wow, that makes me really doubt about my future with Fuji then. I got an X-E1 so I can put it in a small pocket when I'm hiking with the 18mm, I understand that people can prefer the DSLR style of the X-T1 so they can look more "pro", or like the EVF in the middle or whatever, but it seems to me that both for lenses and bodies, Fuji is completely abandoning the small and "light" (for the quality) format that once attracted so many people to the line... Or they are keeping X-A line for that but I don't think any enthousiast prefers scene modes and face detection over manual controls.

Well I guess there are only so few people looking for a viewfinder and manual controls on a rangefinder-style camera that it's not really profitable for them, must be a niche I suppose...

Well if I ever wanted an SLR-like form (these X-T10 looks like a cheap russian camera to me, no troll intended) for a digital mirrorless camera that wouldn't be pocketable anymore, I'd certainly wait for the XT-2 to come out and grab an X-T1 at discount and get weather sealing, iso and metering dials. It's not like the X-E1 is limiting my photography so badly that I can't wait a year or more.

Objectively on the X-E1, the screen is a tad too small, the EVF lags in the dark and the AF is on the thin border of being a tad too slow as well with some lenses. Still, a picture taken with care in good light is exactly the same as taken with an X-E2 or X-T1.

But the form factor is really a joy to use. It is discrete. It is both classic, and modern. It fits in a large trouser pocket with the 27. It's as well designed as an X100S but with the possibility to put a 35mm F/1.4 or 56mm F/1.2 on it to make excellent interior / low light portraits.

I'd be interrested in seing the sale numbers, hope Fuji is on the right track going this SLR-styling and huge lenses way but I have some doubts. It looks to me like they are a bit hungry going for the pros who are tired of DSLRs, and are ok to carry 5 kilos but not 10 anymore, and are slowly abandoning the people that came for lightweight / discretion, just offering something either really dumbed down (X-A2 and plastic zooms) or this X-T10 in the middle of everything yet not quite an X-T1 neither an OM-D and certainly not an X-E.

Many others would disagree, but I think they should ditch the X-PRO, keep X-T, X-E and X-A, but this X-T10 if it is the evolution of the X-E won't be good news for many, the pentaprism just screams too much "SLR!!!"