Recording 4K with Remote app - won't work? Big problem...

Marko1976

Hi...

I have X-T30 II...

I try to record 4K video with Remote app on my iPhone, but it seems it always record just HD... That's a big deal... Any resolutions? Also focust point square don't work on iPhone screen when I shoot in video mode...

Thanx...

Marko

Edited by Marko1976

• Marko1976 changed the title to Recording 4K with Remote app - won't work? Big problem...

Oh yes, that's bad... I saw also the same issue debated here:

That man have good videos... Anyway, I am a huge fan of Fujifilm for years now... I mostly record myself, so using remote app would be great option I thought... Big deal breaker. How is that even possible for such a great brand, 4K is not supported to shoot with app? Isn't it just like, why it isn't possible? Isn't it just like, just a remote thing to press start to start shooting, I can't see why it isn't possible... Maybe we can contact Fuji to update the app?

Also focus control inside app is problematic - there is no control at all.

For now, I switch to my smart TV as a monitor for shooting via HDMI cable.... Anyway, It is good, but it could be better to have the controls in front of me via app...

Edited by Marko1976

It does seem like there should be a simple way to do this, but it will take some serious wifi equipment upgrades to do that, at least so I believe. Here goes:

First part:

The wifi chip in the cameras support the b / g / n standards so it theoretically can send / receive data at up to 100 Mbps. In real world conditions, that will be considerably slower -- just like a home wifi router.

The 4K Video Data Rate the camera supports is up to 400 Mbps which is already larger than the fastest possible wifi transfer speed. The lowest 4K Video Data Rate is 100 Mbps which might be feasible for transfer in ideal situations, but in practice, as noted, those ideal situations happen very seldom.

Second part;

So why not record 4K video to the card and send over 1080p video to the phone? This also seems like it should work. As an idea, sure, but in practice that is tricky. Think about converting some 4k video down to 1080p video on your computer. Most home desktop computers can do this, but it takes a while, even high end systems struggle when asked to do the conversions in real time, you need serious computing power to do the conversion on the fly, so to speak. That power is way beyond what is in the camera -- you would also need some serious cooling capabilities built in to handle the heat that comes rolling off of the chips while they are doing the task. This moves you up into the RED camera class -- very expensive.

So i think the 1080p transfer to the smart phones, etc. is the best current option out there.

Edited by jerryy

That sound reasonable...

But I came from a different starting point. I would just need a control so that when I put myself in the scene and am far from the camera, I could adjust the focus from a distance of a few meters and press start...

So to speak - really just a remote control in the literal sense...

8 hours ago, Marko1976 said:

That sound reasonable...

But I came from a different starting point. I would just need a control so that when I put myself in the scene and am far from the camera, I could adjust the focus from a distance of a few meters and press start...

So to speak - really just a remote control in the literal sense...

Will this work?

https://camranger.com

https://www.dronenerds.com/products/gimbals/dji-rs-2-series/dji-ronin-raveneye-image-transmission-system.html

Edited by jerryy

• 11 months later...
On 8/21/2022 at 11:20 PM, jerryy said:

It does seem like there should be a simple way to do this, but it will take some serious wifi equipment upgrades to do that, at least so I believe. Here goes:

First part:

The wifi chip in the cameras support the b / g / n standards so it theoretically can send / receive data at up to 100 Mbps. In real world conditions, that will be considerably slower -- just like a home wifi router.

The 4K Video Data Rate the camera supports is up to 400 Mbps which is already larger than the fastest possible wifi transfer speed. The lowest 4K Video Data Rate is 100 Mbps which might be feasible for transfer in ideal situations, but in practice, as noted, those ideal situations happen very seldom.

Second part;

So why not record 4K video to the card and send over 1080p video to the phone? This also seems like it should work. As an idea, sure, but in practice that is tricky. Think about converting some 4k video down to 1080p video on your computer. Most home desktop computers can do this, but it takes a while, even high end systems struggle when asked to do the conversions in real time, you need serious computing power to do the conversion on the fly, so to speak. That power is way beyond what is in the camera -- you would also need some serious cooling capabilities built in to handle the heat that comes rolling off of the chips while they are doing the task. This moves you up into the RED camera class -- very expensive.

So i think the 1080p transfer to the smart phones, etc. is the best current option out there.

I think this is unacceptable. Sony has been doing this effortlessly in years considering they also have a very bad reputation on their software. 

Edited by eldricarpi

10 hours ago, eldricarpi said:

I think this is unacceptable. Sony has been doing this effortlessly in years considering they also have a very bad reputation on their software. 

Perhaps you can show us an example or two where Sony's cameras have been transferring very high bit rate 4k data over b / g / n WiFi networks in real time to smartphone and tablets.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.