X-H2S and DJI Ronin RS2--Solved--Not So Fast

Hello All:

I recognize that the Fujifilm X-H2S is not on compatable list for Ronin RS2.  However, has anyone tried this combination using micro HDMI female to male HDMI?  Besides stabalization what works?  Most important to me are starting/stopping video recording and being able to adjust focus with the focus motor.

Thank you in advance.

Don

Edited by Don Barar

• 1 month later...

Hello All:

For those of you that are interested, I purchased an X-H2S and connected it with my RS2.  The only changes from using an X-T3 was that I used the included (with the RS2 Pro) mini HDMI to Full HDMI cable and set Connections on the X-H2S to Select Connection Setting/Selection 3: USB Tether Shooting Auto.

With the above I was able to connect the RavenEye to my iPad and see what was in the field of view of the camera.  I was also able to start/stop video record and alter aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  I also  successful used film profiles of Flog and HLG.

It appears for these items, that the FujiFilm SDK for the X-T3 is similar to that what might be used for the X-H2S.

Don

• Don Barar changed the title to X-H2S and DJI Ronin RS2--Solved--Not So Fast

Well not so fast.  X-H2S firmware 1.03 everything worked fine for my needs.  Then FujiFiim updated the firmware to version 2.0.  Now, with USB Tether/Auto the record does not stay latched in.  However, there is a workaround.  Instead of USB Tether/Auto use USB Tether Fixed.  When you do this the first attempt at record will not latch.  However, a successive attempt will start movie recording.  So, if you want to use the X-H2S with the RS2 make sure you do not upgrade to FujiFilm firmware version 2.0 unless you want to use the workaround.

I spoke with FujiFilm Technical Support.  There is no way to roll back the firmware.  This seems to be the case with Sony as well.  I believe this to be dumb engineering.  If they break something with a firmware update you are screwed until the manufacturer issues a new firmware.

So three, big cheers for DJI.  At least you can roll back the firmware.

Judging the lack on interest in this thread, I must be the only idiot in the world that is attempting to make this work!

Don

Thank you for the suggestion about DP Review.

I am able to get by with the work around.  A little more patience on my part perhaps and it works similarly with the X-H2s set to USB Tether Auto and have to since returned to this setting.  Just a PITA as I have to hit record twice.

BTW.  Not any real interest on the DJI RS2 User Forum either.

Don

Edited by Don Barar

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I have the newest firmware on both - rs2: v01.05.00.20, and fujifilm: 3.01 - and have the same issue 😕 You have to start it twice, to works once 😕 I can't imagine, why is it hard to put the x-h2s into the rs2, if all the rs3s can handle x-h2s. The Rs2 wasn't cheap, don't leave all the owners alone! Please dji, make an upgrate! Your last was more than a year!

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for writing.

X-H2S firmware 2.1 was the best.  It did not require two selections of record to get the camera to record for more than a few moments--one selection was enough.  Version 3.00 and 3.01 has broken this and now requires selecting record twice as did firmware version 2.0.

Be careful what you wish for on DJI upgrading the firmware so that it allows of the X-H2S on the RS2.  In looking at DJI’s compatibility chart of the X-H2S with RS3 it does not do very much except start/stop record.  At least with the RS2’s current firmware, from the Ronin App I can also adjust the X-H2S' shutter speed, aperture, an ISO through RavenEye.

Don

• 3 months later...

Hi Don,
You are not the only one in the world, now there are 2 or 3 of us 😃
Could you tell me how you also got the ss control on the raven eye? I can get the image, have remote control of registration, iso and aperture but not the shutter (showing N/A). Lastly the active track works very badly, if I put it in portrait a disaster, in landscape mode a little better.

Edited by Serghios

HI Serghios,

Wow.  We are numbers are growing by leaps and bounds.  Doubling or tripleing our user base in just under a year.

I am only using the RS2/X-H2S (firmware 5.01) for video through RavenEye on my iOS device operating under version 16.x.  I have no issue getting the X-H2S to start recording.  Though, I may have to push record more than once before the record mode stay latched in.

Are you attempting to take photographs?  Are you using Android or iOS?

Don