Fujifilm exposure shifts

Jame98

What exposure shift? I just tried my 16-80 and my 70-300 on a large white card, so that the metered scene did not change with the zoom. I also used a fixed manual focus distance as exposure may vary slightly with focus distance due to the extra extension - that's normal for any lens. The 70-300 is a variable aperture lens so with apertures wider than f5.6 the exposure will vary. I tried it at f5.6. neither lens shows any exposure variation.

Constant aperture lenses are the best you will find when trying to use lenses built for stills photography in a video / movie setting.

If you want to use lenses built for video / movie setting, try these:

https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en/business/optical-devices/cine-lens/mk

Or go with some of the third party cine lenses. One quick way to know you are looking in the right place, is when the specs list t-stops instead of f-stops.

The f-stop is not changing, which is the ratio stays the same. Constant aperture is really constant f-ratio., which means effective or virtual ratio. A truly manual constant aperture lens operates differently than by-the-wire lenses, which is why the older ones are so large, they have to maintain that ratio over their range. Newer lenses do it differently which is why they are referred to as having virtual constant ratios.

Btw, that Canon approach is pretty limited. Try that trick on a wterfall and you will see the waterfall change from falling water to shaving cream.