X-T10 or X-E2?

hrk

I currently have an X-T1 and I bought a 2nd hand X-E2 body about a month ago.

I had obviously heard about the upcoming X-10 but thought it would be priced a lot higher than it actually was. You can get the body only for £500, and they are offer £320 trade in for my X-E2 (which is what i paid for it)

Do you think its worth the "upgrade" just for the 4.0 firmware? would that be the only benefit apart from form factor? 

Any other differences?

If you like your X-T1, make the swap. The X-T10 is 95% the same as the X-T1, just much smaller. It's not as nice of a main body as the X-T1 is, obviously, but as a second body it's perfect.

I didn't think it would be. Like you, I was eyeing the rumoured prices and was thinking I'd just buy a second hand X-E2 as a backup for my X-T1. Then the prices came out and aren't so bad and at the start of this week I got to try out the X-T10 for myself. It's absolutely a better system than the X-E2, from a technical, objective point of view. The styling won't be for everyone, but if you're already using an X-T1 then I'm guessing you're okay with the SLR-like body. Everything else is categorically better than the X-E2. It's noticably smaller and lighter, which for a second body is great, to me. The viewfinder isn't as nice as the X-T1's but it's an improvement over the X-E2, with less lag and a smoother image in all light. The AF is considerably better than the X-E2's. (An X-T1 with fw 4.0 was not avilable to try, but the rep said the X-T1 would absolutely match the X-T10's AF once that firmware is out.) Obviously you get the tilt screen and a more functional button layout. I was told the battery life has been improved slightly, too, though as I was only around it for a couple of hours, I couldn't test that, obviously.

I started the morning thinking the X-T10 was pointless and a used X-E2 was the smartest purchase. I ended the day pre-ordering the X-T10. I'm even considering selling my X-T1 and buying a second X-T10 and just pocketing the £200 left over. They're that close in performance. If you can trade in the X-E2 for as much as you paid for it, and you won't miss the rangefinder-styled body, there is no reason to not get an X-T10.

I'm going through the same process... I have a X-E2, wondering whether to upgrade at all and if I do whether to X-T10 or X-T1.

The X-E2 does have a deeper buffer than the X-T10 for continuous mode, but that's about it. On the other hand, if they update the X-E2 with all features in the firmware then the X-T10 wouldn't offer much more (a tilting screen, which I would appreciate).

I've read that the X-T10's viewfinder has a closer eyepoint than the other models... does that make the viewfinder harder to use? Do you have to have your eye in just the right place? I need to try it out when I can... I'm also worried that the new user interface will be less readable with smaller writing...

Just a few more weeks to wait until my local shops will have it.

I am thinking of the T10 with 27mm lens as a better alternative to the X100T. It doesn't have a lens shutter, but with electronic shutter it can be silent, and it has interchanable lenses and a tilting LCD, plus a lot cheaper, especially if you already have the lens(es) for it. The fact that is similar to my T1 is a bonus, as is the better AF.

On the other hand, if they update the X-E2 with all features in the firmware then the X-T10 wouldn't offer much more (a tilting screen, which I would appreciate).

Fuji France already stated that an update for the X-E2 is planned, it is just not known when.

I've read that the X-T10's viewfinder has a closer eyepoint than the other models... does that make the viewfinder harder to use? Do you have to have your eye in just the right place? I need to try it out when I can... I'm also worried that the new user interface will be less readable with smaller writing...

The EVFs of the X-T10 and the X-E2 has the same size, while the EVF of the X-T1 is larger.

Yes, but we don't know what will be in the update. For example, they have already declined to give the X-E2 electronic shutter once (when it was added to the X-T1).

For the viewfinders I was wondering about the eyepoint... 23mm for X-T1 and X-E2 but 17mm for X-T10. This is the distance behind the viewfinder your eye can be and still see the whole view. Does the shorter eyepoint make the viewfinder less convenient to use?

If an update improves the X-E2 AF I think I will keep that rather than trade it in, to be honest I'm beginning to prefer the feel of it to my X-T1!

QED. This is precisely what Fuji predicament is. 

Pleasing the customers but not enough from preventing them to want to upgrade. 

After much deliberation, watching/reading pre-reviews, and even having my X-E2 on Amazon for the afternoon, I've decided that the X-T10 is not different enough to warrant a total abandonment of it. Perhaps there will be an improvement over autofocus in the future, but either way, it's a nice camera that gets me the identical image quality of my fuji X-T1. Additionally, with a good manual focus lens, you can get some pretty decent action shots without a problem:  http://abjurina.tumblr.com/post/105967813309/manual-focusing-yes-please

The guts of hte X-E2 is the same as the X-T1 so the AF totally could be improved.

I also wander about all these people saying the EVF on teh X-E2 is worse when comparing in a camera store. I doubt the stores are religious about updating the firmware. The X-E2 EVF lag was improved in one of its existing firmware releases so its very possibel that people are comparing an early firmware X-E2 not one with the latest which would give a dodgy result.

Finally psychosomatically the X-T10 is newere and shinier, I think that may have a sway.

Also I wander if Fuji have learnt there lesson and the X-T10 ships with performance enhance mode switched on in default. So many people write off the X-E2 (and X-T1) at the beginning because they had power saving on, which does the AF speed no favours.

G

G

There is really no need to try so hard to defend one or the other. If you like the small rf style and to take your time X-E are still great cameras, even the X-E1.

If you like something faster and more responsive the X-T line is the way to go (well good luck with the X-T10 buffer tho).

Personally I'm gonna beat my X-E1 to death until X-T1 price drops somewhere around 700€ that's the value I put on it. The X-E1 will remain a great take everywhere cam with a 27 or 35 1.4 on it.

I mean it still takes greater pictures than the internet can handle, we'll see once we all get fiber and 4k screens, until then...

I am thinking of the T10 with 27mm lens as a better alternative to the X100T. It doesn't have a lens shutter, but with electronic shutter it can be silent, and it has interchanable lenses and a tilting LCD, plus a lot cheaper, especially if you already have the lens(es) for it. The fact that is similar to my T1 is a bonus, as is the better AF.

A reasonable comparison, Paul. For myself, they represent two different styles of shooting. The T10 and 27mm are more businesslike, the 100T more contemplative. The 100T does have a faster lens, slightly wider, and just as compact. The 27mm, on the other hand, is in my experience one of the sharpest lenses in the lineup. The autofocus on the 100T is no slouch either.

Perhaps having both is ideal...

Will

• 11 months later...

I thought about that for a long time too and finally chose to go for the X-E2. 

With the firmware 4.0, there are virtually no software differences between the T1, the E2 and the T10. 

But I like the form factor of the E2 better, especially the EVF in the corner rather than in the center. And it's quite cheap to get a X-E2 second hand these days.

sure, I have one, yet, there is a world of difference with the X-T1 ( which I also own) and you would have discovered that only by owning one.

The X-E2 is very nice, tonight I am living for a nice holiday and I am taking that camera, but I am very happy to own both. Besides, soon the X-T1 will be cheap too.