X-H2S Can't assign ISO to a command wheel.

I have seen this issue touched upon in other threads but I have just raised the issue with Fujifilm so thought it would be good to create a specific post.

Please see the below description, if this effects your use of the X-H2S please add to the comments and I will forward all comments to Fuji.

Issue Description

When shooting in ‘Manual Mode’ it is not possible to assign ISO and SS to the rear or front command wheels. This can be done on the XT3, XT4 and GFX100.

The only options for the command dials on the X-H2S are Aperture and Shutter Speed. They do not include ISO.

The options are identical for both ‘Manual Mode’ and ‘C1-C7 Manual Modes’

Firmware Change Request

1)     Add the ability to assign ISO, Aperture, SS and Exp Comp to both the front and rear command dials when in Manual mode (Priority - Must have requirement).

2)     Allow point 1) to be configured for manual mode independently within C1-C7. (Priority - Should Have requirement).

Work Around

The work round is to select the ISO button and use the rear wheel, but this removes all information from the EVF / LCD apart from the ISO selection. Importantly the ‘exposure indicator’ is not viewable, meaning the correct ISO must be guessed or calculated before selecting the ISO button.

Issue Impact

When shooting fully manual in fast moving workflows, shots will be repeatedly missed or incorrectly exposed due requiring multiple guesses to get the correct ISO / Exposure for the selected SS and Aperture.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 12:40 AM, Realmarkstones said:

I got mine today and when I was setting up the command dials I was shocked to learn this. This makes the camera terrible to use and it simply makes no sense. Fuji cameras are famous for their customization options. 

First my firmware change request has been sent to Fuji Japan - Hopefully this will be actioned at some point.

Second the best workaround I have found is to go to custom button setting and set both the up and down buttons (surrounding the menu button) to ISO. Then to change the ISO up you press the up button, Iso menu pops up and your finger is already on the up button and further presses increases the ISO. Similar with the down button but the second press onwards reduces the ISO. This makes changing easier but doesn't solve the lack of the exposure indicator.

I agree it is really not what I expected. I decide after quite some thinking to keep the X-H2s as I can work round the issue and I do expect it will be fixed in the medium term.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, kuzphoto said:

I was about to pre-order the X-H2 as my first Fuji upgrade, but as a manual shooter this is a deal breaker for me. Pretty disappointing for a "flagship model" to not allow manual iso control except form an slide-in sub-menu. I'll just stick with my X-T3 for now.

I don't understand the big deal about this - ISO can be assigned to the dpad - press up and ISO goes up - press down and ISO goes down - it shows in the EVF but it doesn't fill the EVF and disappears as soon as the change has been made.

They needed the front and rear clickable wheels.  Had my X-T3 set-up so the front wheel would allow me to click between shutter speed, aperture and ISO all while displaying all the other information including the histogram in the view finder.  Now, when you want to change ISO you have click a some button to show the ISO number which removes all other information in the display including the histogram.  This is a critical loss!

Bad move Fuji!  What were you thinking????????

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a slowdown with this iso-button-setting (push->wheel).

I would be happy if they change for the manual mode:

- iso configurable to the wheel (for me, the one in the back is better)

- do not show the iso-table on the display or viewfinder. The viewfinder is a preview tool for fast-shooting-tasks and I don‘t need the know the number of iso. Just a wheel for a speedy iso change

think/hope they will come up with a solution soon. Using now my x-t3 for the assignments with loads of iso-changing. That was not my initial plan 😅

On 8/23/2022 at 1:40 AM, Realmarkstones said:

I got mine today and when I was setting up the command dials I was shocked to learn this. This makes the camera terrible to use and it simply makes no sense. Fuji cameras are famous for their customization options. 

That's why I sent the camera back after I purchased it. Hopefully waiting for the X-T5. 

• 2 weeks later...

I very badly need this to change on the X-H2S. I currently have the front button WASTED in other shooting modes because I had to assign it to toggle exposure compensation...why? The ISO button doesn’t annoy as much, but they really need to bet this fixed. I am debating if I even want to keep the camera because of a simple issue like this. All my lenses have an aperture ring, so there is no point in forcing one of the 2 dials be used for aperture.

What is even more frustrating is that when in interval mode (time-lapse) I cannot change the ISO to adjust for changing light. It is crucial to shoot time lapses fully manual, but I can only adjust the shutter speed and aperture (which I don't want to). Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Happy to hear others are frustrated by this, because maybe it will get fixed!

I do not think assigning ISO to the up and down of the dpad is acceptable. You can't see the exposure meter, plus it feels like a hack, because your first tap is actually opening up the menu.

Changing ISO is done perfectly in competing cameras. It is fast and simple in Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. It is, after all, a basic exposure control.

To me, it feels like Fuji has had getting this right as a lower priority due to having most of their cameras have an ISO dial. Now that the flagship camera is missing one, they should probably get this right.

• 1 month later...

This is a show stopper for me. 
Iso needs to be assignable to front/rear command dail!

At least they could implement it like in Nikon DSLR, where you can press and hold the iso button and dial directly via rear command dial. After release the iso button value must be saved.

Please Fujifilm get to work ✌️

• 1 month later...

Signed up just to bump/+1 this request. 

It makes no sense to not allow the assigning of ISO to the dial, very bizarre / anti functional that this works on all xt / gfx / xs10  / xh1 cameras but not the new XH line. It should be a simple code update, it's borderline stubborn if it's not added in.

I'm currently using the up/down buttons but its not as smooth a experience when you're looking through the viewfinder to then press buttons one by one right up against your face to change the iso increment by increment. It's so quick to just turn the dial and get where you want in a snap.

I am an X-T4 user and the push buttons on the control dials are very useful. I'm surprised that on the X-H2s they don't work the same way. If there is no possibility to press the dials mechanically, a firmware solution will be impossible.

1 minute ago, fernandoj said:

I am an X-T4 user and the push buttons on the control dials are very useful. I'm surprised that on the X-H2s they don't work the same way. If there is no possibility to press the dials mechanically, a firmware solution will be impossible.

No - there is no switch - firmware update won't be possible - there has been a suggestion that the lack of switch improves weather sealing but I don't know if that is true.

I dont mind that the rear dial isn't pushable, but we should be able to assign ISO to that dial.

In Manual the rear dial is used to change Aperture when the lens is set to "A". If the lens has the aperture set manually then the rear dial does nothing. I (and many others) set the aperture manually and therefore the dial for us is useless. If we could assign ISO to it then we can resume our shooting style the way its worked on all XT, XH and XS10 before this, super puzzling it's not assignable on the new cameras.

This was shocking coming from the gfx-100s. Easy fix and should be an option for those of us who bought Fuji lenses specifically for the aperture ring. I love the auto focus on the x-H2s but hate the controls. If any non SPAM Fuji had this sensor and a GFX-100s screen articulation I’d get it immediately and sell this at a loss. Custom settings are terrible too. If they keep this direction they will lose what brought me to Fuji. I might as well buy a Sony to get crappy controls with great auto focus.

• 4 weeks later...

This is such a weird oversight, to the point where I thought I must be overlooking something. What’s the point of selling lenses with aperture rings and then rendering one of the main dials on the camera body unusable when the lens ring is enabled?

With this setup the rear dial does nothing until you press the ISO button… why require people to press the button at all? Why make the ISO menu a clunky full screen overlay when the current ISO value is shown in the EVF and it could just be updated in real time as you rotate the dial? It works just fine for aperture and shutter speed, why should ISO be the exception?

It should be possible to assign the rear dial as an ISO control and the ISO button as a custom function.

That’s really odd.   I can do what you say on the x-t5 (if I’m understanding your post correctly), I can’t imagine why the h-2 doesn’t have that functionality. 

• 4 weeks later...

Credit where credit’s due, the latest firmware fixes this and adds a dial toggle button option if you have the lens aperture ring disabled, so you can still easily adjust ISO, and all without jumping into that annoying ISO menu. Really pleased with this update.