My version of perfect Fujifilm X camera :]

syborg

Disclaimer: it's just a speculation, I wonder how many users like me are out there...
I've been using X-T3 for 2+ years, enjoying its unbeatable ergonomics and customization options, and thinking what I would like to have (or not) in it.
So, I wish Fujifilm came up with some version of X-T3 II with more simple, streamlined design, that would be my ideal camera:
- no video functions at all. I don't care about video.
It would considerably simplify chipset/CPU design, make mainboard more compact (and overall camera size), maybe also lower energy consumption (longer battery life)
- a bit enlarged front grip part (at least +5 mm depth)
- no Exposure compensation wheel, it's just redundant in digital mirrorless cameras (ETTR, sensor saturation/SNR)
- no Exposure metering modes wheel (same as above), 'multi' works just fine
- no Shutter wheel (I use "T" mode only, with more granular speed control)
- flip-out screen like in X-T4
- a bit more extended dioptric correction range :(
- less cluttered menu:
    No JPEG functions and related 'effects' settings, RAW format only. I'd ditch ~80% of settings in "I.Q." menu.
    Keeping film simulations, they are neat.
- just 2 focusing modes, M and AF-C, can't think of any AF-S use case for myself, almost never used it.

- higher quality paint, more scratch-resistant :( (I have silver version)

Any fellow-thinkers?

You do realize you are wishing at cross purposes to your own wishes?

If you get rid of all of the jpeg stuff, that wipes out the film simulation as well — those are only applied to the embedded preview in the raw image (which is a jpg image) and the saved jpeg images. The raw image carries a note about which simulation was chosen, but that is so the raw convertors can apply it or ignore it as they choose, it is not applied wholesale to the raw image.

AF-S is the mainstay of landscape photographers that use auto-focus. Very few use AF-C to get those still images, actually AF-C is pretty close to movie/video mode which you are wanting to toss out.

T mode still needs a dial, are you really wanting a PSAM version of the X-T3?

If you get rid of all of the jpeg stuff, that wipes out the film simulation as well

I meant something different - I don't care how camera renders/embeds previews internally, I just don't want jpeg-related settings in menus, exposed as user options.

AF-S is the mainstay of landscape photographers that use auto-focus.

I use autofocus in M mode only, with AF+MF option (?), for landscapes as well. No issues.

actually AF-C is pretty close to movie/video mode which you are wanting to toss out.

I use AF-C occasionally for action (sports).

T mode still needs a dial

I use back dial.

are you really wanting a PSAM version of the X-T3?

No (and I don't see how it's related, to be honest).

Edited by syborg

On 8/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, jerryy said:

Ah, I think I understand. You are not proposing feature changes to make things better for photographers as a whole, you are just wanting something that deals with the stuff you find annoying.

That's funny.