Jump to content

Scathing Review of Fuji X-H2s


Recommended Posts

On 8/8/2022 at 6:13 AM, Golden Oxen said:

Ken Wheeler also known as the Angry Photographer has just posted a scathing review

of the X-H2s.  Politely claims it is a piece of junk and not worth the money. He is a well known

Fujifilm fanboy, which makes his review one to be taken seriously.  Comments on his take welomed

I have already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it.  

He’s wrong about all of it and I seriously doubt he used the camera.  
 

I had the X-T3, sold it for the X-T4, and 2 years later I preordered the X-H2s.  I have had it since launch and here’s a quick rebuttals to that garbage review.

 

First, the people he spoke about, saying they backed up his claims…

Casey from Camera Conspiracies, only tried the pre-release and has since taken one on loan… He loves the thing now.

Gerald from Gerald Undone, said the camera’s DR is excellent, Still image capture AF is awesome, and he said thanks to the noise properties he can actually make the video better quality than the A1 (that’s impressive).

DPReview, said they wouldn’t rank the camera or comment on most aspects until they got a full retail version of it and that review is happening now.  
 

Second, he ignored the stacked sensor and the improved AF speed completely.  Then he made assumptions based on his ignorance of the camera and how it functions.  He claimed they didn’t think the design through, but his own complaints show he didn’t think it through.

 

I had the X-T4 sitting right beside the new body for about a week… The build quality was very much on par with the X-T4 and yet he praised one while panning the other.  So which is it, is the build quality of the X-T4 cheap, or is the X-H2S actually decent build quality.

 

Then of course he tried to equate knowing the X-T4 with knowing this camera and I can tell you they could not be further apart in the way they operate and still be a Fuji body.  
 

Many of us have action photos, portraits, BIF, and animal portraits, yet he seems to proclaim it is the worst camera ever. 
 

Of course he focused on 1 thing obsessively, that’s the fact that the dials don’t have any push button capabilities. Then he also made a comment that gave away his motivation for the whole review away… Fuji wouldn’t give him a body to review, so he rented or purchased one and panned the whole camera.  
 

Oh and as for Muddy images… I set both the X-H2S and the X-T4 to the same settings and swapped the lenses from body to body.  The image quality was pretty much identical, so you can ignore that garbage claim too.

Edited by KOLED
Forgot one point.
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Golden Oxen said:

Hi Patr, I'm sure its a cracking camera but as Ken would say "Compared to what?' That what he claimed, the image was no better or worse than previous much less expensive models.          Regards, GO

 

So if it is no better or worse than the X-T3 or X-T4, then why didn’t he call the image quality in those cameras muddy?  Because he’s lying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KOLED said:

So if it is no better or worse than the X-T3 or X-T4, then why didn’t he call the image quality in those cameras muddy?  Because he’s lying.

Interesting that two actual owners of the X-H2S should have similar thoughts on its IQ, (and the plethora of improvements in the camera itself), and have been able to physically compare it to the X-T4, side by side.

Interestingly the OP, whilst commenting on Ken's review, stated that he had, "already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it". If you own one and an X-T4 then your conclusion is valid. If not then.......

As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen any photo examples to confirm Ken's points and until then I will treat his reviews as I have always done, which is one of idle curiosity.

 

Edited by Patr
missed word
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Patr said:

Interesting that two actual owners of the X-H2S should have similar thoughts on its IQ, (and the plethora of improvements in the camera itself), and have been able to physically compare it to the X-T4, side by side.

Interestingly the OP, whilst commenting on Ken's review, stated that he had, "already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it". If you own one and an X-T4 then your conclusion is valid. If not then.......

As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen any photo examples to confirm Ken's points and until then I will treat his reviews as I have always done, which is one of idle curiosity.

 

There’s plenty of evidence here.

X-H2S Real World Images

As far as Ken’s evidence, the only time I had ever seen his images, were when he was being exposed by Jason Lanier.

Edited by KOLED
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 5:45 AM, Patr said:

Interesting that two actual owners of the X-H2S should have similar thoughts on its IQ, (and the plethora of improvements in the camera itself), and have been able to physically compare it to the X-T4, side by side.

Interestingly the OP, whilst commenting on Ken's review, stated that he had, "already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it". If you own one and an X-T4 then your conclusion is valid. If not then.......

As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen any photo examples to confirm Ken's points and until then I will treat his reviews as I have always done, which is one of idle curiosity.

 

Isn't that a lot like two folks who bought the same car stating how much they love it? Thee video was addressed to folks thinking of buying it.  You gents saw features you liked and bought the camera. Glad it is to your liking. Someone like me finds it lacking and wanting and will not buy it. No big deal.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, KOLED said:

So if it is no better or worse than the X-T3 or X-T4, then why didn’t he call the image quality in those cameras muddy?  Because he’s lying.

You missed the point entirely on the image quality.

It is also obvious from your tone that you are not a fan of Ken.

No problem, he is quite controversial but a great admirer of Fujifilm products,  except for this camera and a few other items. I'm glad your happy with your camera, it was a great disappointment to me. Not because it is a bad camera but a departure, in my view, from the XH-1 form factor and quality which is my favorite camera so far.

I was holding out hope for the next model due in Sept but as Ken mentioned it has already been anounced it will have the same body, perhaps the new sensor will make it more to my liking.   Regards, GO

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 4:24 AM, Golden Oxen said:

Ken owns every Fujifilm camera and most of the lenses including the Medium format line, if you wish to consider # of cameras owned as a guidepost to expertise.

You have a different view than Ken on the camera and I'm glad your happy with it.   Regards, GO

Ken owns all those cameras because he makes reviews like this one, where all those clicks turn into quite a tidy fortune for him.

I'm not a huge PASM fan, but no way would I call the X-H2S a piece of junk.  And regarding the charger..  yeah, a little bit skinflinty of Fujifilm, but OTOH it's a USB-C camera so everyone already has chargers for it.  If I were in charge of their warranty department, I would have voiced concerns about what happens to that expensive mainboard when someone plugs in a cheap gas station charger and it malfunctions..  but anyway..

Not going to trust a review that comes to such a conclusion regarding such an obviously over-engineered high end camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Golden Oxen said:

You missed the point entirely on the image quality.

It is also obvious from your tone that you are not a fan of Ken.

No problem, he is quite controversial but a great admirer of Fujifilm products,  except for this camera and a few other items. I'm glad your happy with your camera, it was a great disappointment to me. Not because it is a bad camera but a departure, in my view, from the XH-1 form factor and quality which is my favorite camera so far.

I was holding out hope for the next model due in Sept but as Ken mentioned it has already been anounced it will have the same body, perhaps the new sensor will make it more to my liking.   Regards, GO

He’s not controversial, he’s an insecure man child.  On top of that, he’s really not a good photographer at all.

 

As for the IQ, he called one camera muddy and the others perfectly fine… Then he says the IQ is the same.

Edited by KOLED
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, Abevideo said:

God I couldn’t even get to the end of the video. He’s so annoying and arrogant ‘I am always correct’. I never trust someone with that lack of humility. 
 

Sounds to me like he can’t afford it. 

It's not really a review, only statements he expects people to believe only because he said those. The guy is a narcissist who never shows the pictures is taking with those cameras.

I had the XT2S on a loan last weekend and it was quite enjoyable with finally a good autofocus (at least in still). I don't know if it's on par with Canon's or Sony's but really I don't care. What matters is that it is good enough to get the job done.

Not sure I'm going to buy it though 🙂 

The price point is similar or even higher to full frame options from other brands so......

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 2:32 AM, KOLED said:

Then he also made a comment that gave away his motivation for the whole review away… Fuji wouldn’t give him a body to review, so he rented or purchased one and panned the whole camera.  
 

Completely agree with you. He's upset from not getting the recognition from a brand he likes.

Ken the influencer who influences nobody !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he influences a lot more than nobody as Ken has well over a quarter of a million subscribers.

Not a statistic that says he is correct in all his views, but he certainly has a large  audience that choose freely to

listen to them.         Regards, GO

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...