Scathing Review of Fuji X-H2s

On 8/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Golden Oxen said:

Hi Patr, I'm sure its a cracking camera but as Ken would say "Compared to what?' That what he claimed, the image was no better or worse than previous much less expensive models.          Regards, GO

So if it is no better or worse than the X-T3 or X-T4, then why didn’t he call the image quality in those cameras muddy?  Because he’s lying.

7 hours ago, KOLED said:

So if it is no better or worse than the X-T3 or X-T4, then why didn’t he call the image quality in those cameras muddy?  Because he’s lying.

Interesting that two actual owners of the X-H2S should have similar thoughts on its IQ, (and the plethora of improvements in the camera itself), and have been able to physically compare it to the X-T4, side by side.

Interestingly the OP, whilst commenting on Ken's review, stated that he had, "already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it". If you own one and an X-T4 then your conclusion is valid. If not then.......

As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen any photo examples to confirm Ken's points and until then I will treat his reviews as I have always done, which is one of idle curiosity.

Edited by Patr
missed word

12 hours ago, Patr said:

Interesting that two actual owners of the X-H2S should have similar thoughts on its IQ, (and the plethora of improvements in the camera itself), and have been able to physically compare it to the X-T4, side by side.

Interestingly the OP, whilst commenting on Ken's review, stated that he had, "already drawn pretty much the same conclusion about it". If you own one and an X-T4 then your conclusion is valid. If not then.......

As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen any photo examples to confirm Ken's points and until then I will treat his reviews as I have always done, which is one of idle curiosity.

There’s plenty of evidence here.

X-H2S Real World Images

As far as Ken’s evidence, the only time I had ever seen his images, were when he was being exposed by Jason Lanier.

Edited by KOLED

On 8/15/2022 at 5:45 AM, Patr said:

Isn't that a lot like two folks who bought the same car stating how much they love it? Thee video was addressed to folks thinking of buying it.  You gents saw features you liked and bought the camera. Glad it is to your liking. Someone like me finds it lacking and wanting and will not buy it. No big deal.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, KOLED said:

You missed the point entirely on the image quality.

It is also obvious from your tone that you are not a fan of Ken.

No problem, he is quite controversial but a great admirer of Fujifilm products,  except for this camera and a few other items. I'm glad your happy with your camera, it was a great disappointment to me. Not because it is a bad camera but a departure, in my view, from the XH-1 form factor and quality which is my favorite camera so far.

I was holding out hope for the next model due in Sept but as Ken mentioned it has already been anounced it will have the same body, perhaps the new sensor will make it more to my liking.   Regards, GO

On 8/10/2022 at 4:24 AM, Golden Oxen said:

Ken owns every Fujifilm camera and most of the lenses including the Medium format line, if you wish to consider # of cameras owned as a guidepost to expertise.

You have a different view than Ken on the camera and I'm glad your happy with it.   Regards, GO

Ken owns all those cameras because he makes reviews like this one, where all those clicks turn into quite a tidy fortune for him.

I'm not a huge PASM fan, but no way would I call the X-H2S a piece of junk.  And regarding the charger..  yeah, a little bit skinflinty of Fujifilm, but OTOH it's a USB-C camera so everyone already has chargers for it.  If I were in charge of their warranty department, I would have voiced concerns about what happens to that expensive mainboard when someone plugs in a cheap gas station charger and it malfunctions..  but anyway..

Not going to trust a review that comes to such a conclusion regarding such an obviously over-engineered high end camera.

17 hours ago, Golden Oxen said:

You missed the point entirely on the image quality.

It is also obvious from your tone that you are not a fan of Ken.

No problem, he is quite controversial but a great admirer of Fujifilm products,  except for this camera and a few other items. I'm glad your happy with your camera, it was a great disappointment to me. Not because it is a bad camera but a departure, in my view, from the XH-1 form factor and quality which is my favorite camera so far.

I was holding out hope for the next model due in Sept but as Ken mentioned it has already been anounced it will have the same body, perhaps the new sensor will make it more to my liking.   Regards, GO

He’s not controversial, he’s an insecure man child.  On top of that, he’s really not a good photographer at all.

As for the IQ, he called one camera muddy and the others perfectly fine… Then he says the IQ is the same.

Edited by KOLED

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, Abevideo said:

God I couldn’t even get to the end of the video. He’s so annoying and arrogant ‘I am always correct’. I never trust someone with that lack of humility. 

Sounds to me like he can’t afford it. 

It's not really a review, only statements he expects people to believe only because he said those. The guy is a narcissist who never shows the pictures is taking with those cameras.

I had the XT2S on a loan last weekend and it was quite enjoyable with finally a good autofocus (at least in still). I don't know if it's on par with Canon's or Sony's but really I don't care. What matters is that it is good enough to get the job done.

Not sure I'm going to buy it though 🙂 

The price point is similar or even higher to full frame options from other brands so......

On 8/15/2022 at 2:32 AM, KOLED said:

Then he also made a comment that gave away his motivation for the whole review away… Fuji wouldn’t give him a body to review, so he rented or purchased one and panned the whole camera.  

Completely agree with you. He's upset from not getting the recognition from a brand he likes.

Ken the influencer who influences nobody !

• 5 weeks later...

I'm out photographing wildlife with the X-H2s/200mmf2.0/150-600mmf5.6-8 . I've had just about all the incarnations of all the Fuji bodies. Wasn't planning on purchasing the X-H2s until I saw the buffer speed. It's pretty awesome. Shooting tracking at 20FPS... It all works. I also find the size pretty comfortable.

The 2 biggest gripes seem to be no charger and can't assign the ISO to a wheel. I plug both cameras into a power brick to charge. Batteries stay in. Easy. Already owned a few bricks. ISO button is on the top by my right index finger. Touch it and scroll up or down. 

I've already told my spouse I won't need to upgrade this body for a long while...I said that about the X-T4...X-T3. etc...

As for the cost, sure it's pricy. For me, it's worth it...

Warren

On 9/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, Golden Oxen said:

I think he influences a lot more than nobody as Ken has well over a quarter of a million subscribers.

Not a statistic that says he is correct in all his views, but he certainly has a large  audience that choose freely to

listen to them.         Regards, GO

So does Donald Trump. Reviews are personal experiences. I’m not a fan of this guy and I do see some merit in his reviews but I don’t follow or can stand watching him. Owning the xt2 in the past. Currently xpro2, xt3 and xh2s I can say that build quality is up there with the rest of the fuji. Faster, more accurate, better grip better evf and better video specs than previous models. It makes my 35 1.4 and 56 1.2 feel like new. Foc is fast and accurate with the older lenses. Defiantly blows the previous models out of the ballpark with confidence and accuracy with AF.  

• 2 months later...

I do not watch this guy's reviews, but wow, watching even a small amount is like getting blasted with vile talk radio. I have plenty of grips with the X-H2/X-H2s but it is clearly not deserving of this stupidity.

He does the same thing as talk radio too, where he builds himself and his own legend up in his own videos. No thank you!

• 3 months later...

I did not watch Ken's review. I read the specs, and I liked it. Sure, some things will not work, but may be improved in future FW updates. The thing is H2s can do things X-T4 cannot, and those things I want, ProRes, 4k60, 4k120 no crop, large buffer for bursts, fast sensor readout, larger EVF). I do not care about AF, eye or subject detection, or IS.

I watched him for a while, basically becoming an analysis on his mental health.  Not good.  You will see patterns and issues over time.  He has subscribers because he is controversial and they buy his BS for a while, and that's okay if you are entertained.  The key here is that he complained about the things that he either praised or ignored in the past on the X-H series.  He dislikes the ergonomics but it is virtually the same as the X-H1 and the GFX series that he LOVES.  The battery charger being excluded is a deal breaker!  LOL!  You just paid what for this camera and are buying CF cards for how much?  And a few bucks for the charger will kill you (plus most people who had the X-T4 will have this charger and an extra battery or two)?  The hilarious part is that he was shunned by Fujifilm and then he quickly brought out a video trashing them.  If that isn't obvious to everyone that he was just being a petty and vindictive man-child then I give up.  Don't forget, he knows more about cameras than anybody, has more lenses than anybody, worked on more cameras than anybody, and is smarter than everybody.  And yet he can't figure out how to put the fork down.  

Lol what a thread. Nothing against Ken but his opinion is one in the sea of opinions out there. And if you've owned a Fuji before you know what you're getting into. I had an xt3/xs10 and traded them both in paid a small difference for the XH2. I could have easily used those for another few years but thought why not. I'll probably do the same in a couple years with the xh2 as well. 

I agree it's fairly cheapskate of fuji to not throw in a wall charger... charge us an extra $50 if you really have to. I bought a dual battery and charger kit off amazon, I'm sure I'll get a year or two out of it. If I was using it as a pro in a studio I'd grab the grip and move on... but still not a great look getting no charger in the box (I dont like HAVING to charge through the camera. I'll do it here and there but dont like the idea of it as a main source of charging).

I used to watch his content quite a lot and I still use his glass cleaning methods on all my gear, man knows his stuff. He had all the chances in the world to play ball a bit and be a respected camera guy but he is who he is and wants to talk about what he wants to talk about. He's a bit nuts but at least he's honest. So while I dont watch his stuff now I'll always be a silent supporter of him, pretty rare to have a straight shooter on youtube. If you dont like his stuff its easy to not watch, but at least when you do watch it you know he's being honest (from his point of view).

Anyway, XH2 is doing me well so far... the main 3 complaints/wishlists I have are

- SSD support for video (dont make us buy antiquated CF cards)
- Rear command dial assignable for ISO (completely baffling its not available)
- Ship with a charger (not a dealbreaker just annoying)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 3:32 AM, KOLED said:

He’s wrong about all of it and I seriously doubt he used the camera.  

I had the X-T3, sold it for the X-T4, and 2 years later I preordered the X-H2s.  I have had it since launch and here’s a quick rebuttals to that garbage review.

First, the people he spoke about, saying they backed up his claims…

Casey from Camera Conspiracies, only tried the pre-release and has since taken one on loan… He loves the thing now.

Gerald from Gerald Undone, said the camera’s DR is excellent, Still image capture AF is awesome, and he said thanks to the noise properties he can actually make the video better quality than the A1 (that’s impressive).

DPReview, said they wouldn’t rank the camera or comment on most aspects until they got a full retail version of it and that review is happening now.  

Second, he ignored the stacked sensor and the improved AF speed completely.  Then he made assumptions based on his ignorance of the camera and how it functions.  He claimed they didn’t think the design through, but his own complaints show he didn’t think it through.

I had the X-T4 sitting right beside the new body for about a week… The build quality was very much on par with the X-T4 and yet he praised one while panning the other.  So which is it, is the build quality of the X-T4 cheap, or is the X-H2S actually decent build quality.

Then of course he tried to equate knowing the X-T4 with knowing this camera and I can tell you they could not be further apart in the way they operate and still be a Fuji body.  

Many of us have action photos, portraits, BIF, and animal portraits, yet he seems to proclaim it is the worst camera ever. 

Of course he focused on 1 thing obsessively, that’s the fact that the dials don’t have any push button capabilities. Then he also made a comment that gave away his motivation for the whole review away… Fuji wouldn’t give him a body to review, so he rented or purchased one and panned the whole camera.  

Oh and as for Muddy images… I set both the X-H2S and the X-T4 to the same settings and swapped the lenses from body to body.  The image quality was pretty much identical, so you can ignore that garbage claim too.

Yes I tried one a couple of days ago and was blown away by the video, which needed very little in Davinci Studio to look damn good. The images too are great and the camera grip is excellent. I have one to pick up in a few days.