Comparing X-T4 to X-T30 ii?

Astigmatism

I have the X-T30 ii and absolutely love the dials for shutter speed and aperture (R lenses). That's what got me started on Fuji. I don't like a lot of automation and rarely use any auto exposure modes.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an X-T4. What would be the biggest differences?

Having an ISO knob on top would be a big plus, in my book. I configured both front and rear dials on the X-T30 for ISO but find it's fiddly trying to see that respond through the viewfinder.

The X-T4 looks physically larger, is that right? I'd find that much easier to handle with clumsy hands.

The IBIS would be helpful sometimes I assume.

I'm guessing image quality would be the same (except where IBIS made a difference), right?

What else would feel different about it?

Or -- is it much smarter to wait for an X-T5? Rumors suggest that's a good half a year away....

There are a lot of little differences between X-T4 and X-T30 II that may or may not be important to you - better EVF - weather sealing - two card slots (and UHS-II for faster write speed) - larger buffer - better video specs - better battery - faster continuous bursts with mechanical shutter - available battery grip.

What is important to you?

The X-T5 is unlikely to bring much improvement in IQ but it will have the latest processor and sensor so probably all round faster.

If you, oh say, set the front dial to adjust the shutter speed and leave the back dial adjusting the ISO, you get a quick way to use the in-between shutter speeds. That is, if you have the top dial shutter speed set to 250, the front dial will let you roll the shutter speed back to 200 (in-between the 250 and 180 top dial shutter speeds) or roll forward to 320 or 400 (in-between the 250 and 500 top dial shutter speeds). Of course, this works for the other top dial settings as well as long as there are standard shutter speeds in-between the top dial settings.

The X-T4 is a very good camera that is difficult to say no to, but unless that money burning up your wallet is threatening to take down your whole house, the 'What is important to you' seems more relevant. If you current camera is broken, ... that is a different horse of course.

edit: p.s. Try turning on the EVF's large indicators mode to better see the ISO setting. In the Set Up Menu (wrench or spanner as some call it) >> Screen Set-up >> Large Indicators Mode (EVF) >> On. It can make quite a difference.

Edited by jerryy

Here's what I know is important, if I understand the two cameras correctly (and my uncertainties):

Bigger body (right? does it FEEL bigger?)

ISO dial on top (and yes I use large indicators mode sometimes)

Maybe IBIS (is it a noticeable improvement on my OIS lenses?)

And I don't know what else. For example I didn't know there were cameras with both mechanical and electronic shutter options until I got the X-T30, and now I like that. There may be other things I don't know about that are X-T4 advantages. That's something I'm trying to discover. So, what differences have you noticed between the two, or between the other similar branches of the product number tree?

Jerry, that's pretty neat, about accessing in-between shutter speeds! Great example of something I didn't know about that I'd appreciate.

I bought it!

It feels bigger and works much better in my hands.

I REALLY like the dials on top.

An unanticipated change: the Q button on the X-T30 is too easy to activate accidentally where it is on top of the best place for my right thumb. It's in a much better spot on the X-T4.

I haven't found anything that I prefer about the X-T30 so far, I prefer the X-T4; except one occasional thing -- if I want something compact the X-T30 is smaller. However, I usually want something larger. So, being able to go back and forth is nice, and if I had to choose just one I'd choose the X-T4.

It would have been nice if they stuck with one battery choice, but I bit the bullet and therefore have two kinds of battery chargers and a couple extra of two kinds of battery. It's a minor thing.

As to IBIS, well, I only just got the camera and haven't done any comparison on this yet.

Thanks for the help!