Bad XF 90mm f/2 R LM WR

Zzoyd

Just a heads up if anyone is buying a new XF 90mm lens through B&H. I've received two bad lenses. Best description I can give it is that the interior of the lens is physically loose.

B&H is sending a third tomorrow. No complaints with B&H's handling, but there may be a bad batch of these lenses out there.

~Z

Just a heads up if anyone is buying a new XF 90mm lens through B&H. I've received two bad lenses. Best description I can give it is that the interior of the lens is physically loose.

B&H is sending a third tomorrow. No complaints with B&H's handling, but there may be a bad batch of these lenses out there.

~Z

Isn't that just because of the stabilisation or is it really broken? 

Edited by Sluw

Thanks for the links to the previous discussion. None of the several people I spoke with at B&H had never heard of the problem, one of whom was a sales person who is shooting X-gear. If any of you know Gabe Biderman (@B&H) I borrowed his 90 a couple of weeks ago and his lens didn't do this.

In 50+ years of buying lenses I've never heard this in a lens. I can't imagine that this can be good over the long haul even if this is what the designers intended.

It’s very well possible that the lens were “ normal”.

There is no shame in not knowing this for anyone and it is not something that you will encounter very often but the lens seems to rattle inside when not engaged on a switched on camera and that is a normal feature for this lens.

There are several people on line who have spoken about this, they have all observed a “ clunk” while the lens is not on the camera and turned on 

Good luck with your next copy but chances are that it will clunk like all others

http://findingrange.com/2015/09/01/fuji-xf-90mm-f2-lm-wr-lens-review/

https://olafphotoblog.com/2015/07/09/fujinon-xf-90mm-f2-first-take-and-taken-aback/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3878356

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57242380

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1375529/6

well, OP hasn’t said whether he or she took any pictures but it appears that upon hearing the “ clunk” he or she got the idea that this would necessarily mean that the re was something wrong with two lenses in a row and chances are that the third won’t be any different.

Good frickin lord...

The focus group of the 90mm is controlled by a magnetic linear motor. Without power, the focus group is, within the defined space for it, a little loose. This has been reported a few dozen times in each and every damn Fuji forum. You either never heard of the search function in a forum or just don't inform yourself about a new piece of gear beforehand.

I'm feeling sorry for B&H. 

No need to be harsh, not everyone lives on fora or checks on internet all kind of things and nobody knows everything. We all learn by making mistakes.

Yes, maybe it would have been a good idea to check this out beforehand, but now this should be cleared to OP who had very good intentions with his warning post.

Edited by milandro

~Z

No, that clunk is perfectly normal. Mine does it and it is a totally superb lens.

Your definition of a "fine" lens and mine may differ.

Hmm. My experience of the people on this forum is that they know their stuff. And they also tend to take the trouble to check up on the products they use without jumping to conclusions about whether they are or are not broken. Didn't you even think of googling this when the second lens had the same behaviour as the first?

Nobody knows everything.

And the best thing a forum can do is spreading experience.

Some slack needs being cut. Play nice to each other.

Thank you, milandro.

I heard back from Gabe at B&H last night. Here is his email to me. [emphasis mine]

"I actually never noticed it until you sent me the email and I just tested mine and it actually does the same thing.  I asked my friend at Fuji the details and he replied:

The movement is the lens quad linear motor focusing mechanism when not engaged. We need more education on that

They are disengaged when power off. So they rock a bit then when AF [is] on they roll!! Fast n quiet AF.

Hope that helps and enjoy the new lens!

Gabe"

For having customers that send back equipment being perfectly fine.

The XF90-rattles-when-being-shaken-"issue" has approximately 10-20 threads in this forum alone and is the #1 issue-that-isn't-an-issue reported about the 90.

I could understand when someone asks about it when the unit arrives and the user is unsure about it. But instantly sending back 2 units without researching?

Edited by Marc G.