Would you make a “ relic” version of your camera and why?

milandro

why?

I guess it's an "emotional" thing. Back in the days when I was a younger kid I found myself staring at "use camera" at the occasion department of our local camera store more then new products. I imagine where it has been and what kind of life it has to become worn-out like that. But with worn-out and beaten up like that it mostly broken on the inside so there's no point in buying one right? So I always buy a mint one and started the "Aging process", clearly this X70 is not my first "victim"

I don’t understand it.

Make something look like it was warn by use while you haven’t is a fake whichever way you turn it.

The scratches that came with use and time on a camera have memories behind them, the ones you put with steel wool or sandpaper don’t.

It’s just a look, a pose. Nothing else.

It’s like wearing a medal that you buy at a street market ( in many places it is illegal by the way) and that haven’t earned, but that you just wear because it looks nice on your chest.

I have scars on my body, one very long on my right arm was the result of me, at the age of two, standing on a glass table and “ conducting” music. I fell, the glass table shattered and put a cut almost as long as my forearm in my flesh.

Should I perhaps pretend that it came with a more interesting story?  ...That it was a knife cut gained while fighting in the streets of NYC?

But it wasn’t... and so, I tell it as it is.

A child’s accident, but with a proper REAL memory attached to that. Stictches and all!

On the same arm, lower than that there is another scar. I got that one by climbing a stone wall. I slipped and nearly fell off the wall and a long nail protruding from the wall went into my forearm and I was hanging from it until a friend came and pulled me by my arm, rescuing me.

On my right arm I was bitten by a dog who also bit me and my shoulder and neck. There was a court case as a result,. I have the memory of me, as a kid, who had to explain to the judge how it went.

We won the case. My father asked for the dog not to be put down, (which nowadays would be in some parts of the world mandatory) as an act of generosity and humanity.

He refused any money which he could have got from the dog’s owner.

All these scars and the stories which go with it are part of my “ look” and of my “ persona”.

But they are all only interesting because they are true parts of my life.

They are my history, right or wrong, good or bad.

They are there for a reason. I lived through them. I am my scars.

I didn’t, one day, just decided to look like I had an interesting past as a boy ( I have many more scars) and took a knife and worked on myself to pretend I had a past.

I really went through all of those experiences.

But this is a different era. One where looks are better than real things.

I understand that.

Edited by milandro

I don’t understand it.

Make something look like it was warn by use while you haven’t is a fake whichever way you turn it.

True, won't argue with that. I'm just interested in "copying" the real thing just like my other hobby wich is model making, creating lifelike miniature cars that looks like the real one. Now only stretching a bit further to my cameras, that's all there is. Plain and simple.

Don't try to look/search hidden meaning or philosophy behind it, keep it light and simple ☺️

I have relic guitars and I like the look and feel of them. They feel like an old broken-in guitar, warm and comfortable to play. I wouldn't mind a relic camera, but I wouldn't dare to try to do it myself because I'd probably break it or something. I think I'll just wait for mine to "relic" naturally.

I have relic guitars and I like the look and feel of them. They feel like an old broken-in guitar, warm and comfortable to play. I wouldn't mind a relic camera, but I wouldn't dare to try to do it myself because I'd probably break it or something. I think I'll just wait for mine to "relic" naturally.

Send it to FujiGlitch! :D

I have a similar looking dobro to Mark. Only problem is the more I play it, the shinier it gets!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fujifilm-XF-35mm-f-2-R-WR-Lens-Black-/162094672475?hash=item25bd986a5b:g:cL8AAOSwbYZXVOYI

Seems like someone likes the "relic" look as here is the description of the lens hood:

"Also includes a vented lens hood that has been sanded down for that Viet Nam War photographer look (only the third party hood has been sanded - the lens and Fuji accessories are perfect)."

I must agree with milandro on this subject. And just to add, most of my cameras and lenses eventually look rather the worse for wear, simply because I use them for years and years. I prefer spending the dough on trips, instead of sitting at home with brand-new gear.

I must also add that I am kind of disappointed at how fast my X-T1 has started to show wear marks.

It must have something to do with carrying the camera around in your hands or while it touches abrasive surfaces, like the clothes for people who use those “ side slings” . I carry mine for the most part in a leather bag with soft “ flanel” (for lack of a better word) lining.

My X-T1 hasn’t been on the receiving end of a very tough life and is still quite nice looking. Now that I have a second body (X-E2) that I use in a bit more carefree way I don’t expect the X-T1 to ever show signs of wear but frankly speaking I only ever had that on a Pentax ESII and a Yashica TL electro X ITS, that I bought secondhand when I was very young.