Would you make a “ relic” version of your camera and why?

milandro

I find it all a bit unexplainable and really I don’t like it but I’ve just read of someone wanting to do this  and I wondered how big a phenomenon it is among the Fuji crowd.

Like stone washed, pre-torn, jeans ( worn-out and used looking even before they have been bought) Guitars have their “ relic" versions and saxophones and mouthpieces have their “ vintage” look or “ vintified” versions.

Women-salopette-denim-dungaree-jumpsuit-Strat-Guitar-Relic.jpg

leicamplennykravitz.jpg

Leica and Lenny Kravitz came up with the M-P correspondent model with scuff marks

Of course none of this is obtained by the passing of time and is as new a scuff as the camera is.

Would you do it and why?

Would you want Fuji to make such a model?

Edited by milandro

When it comes to certain type of clothing, it's not hip to wear new clothes. It's considered dorky especially to youths. I remember feeling the same in college. Leather accessories must be purposely weathered and new shoes must be rubbed to look slightly worn. You must endeavor to look like you're a seasoned hipster. It's a bit like wearing a new shirt but forgetting to remove the price tag. Those were the days....

When it comes to cameras, I think it's love for the brass. And the notion that the man has been taking photographs for a long time now! Hints at experience and skill? Seniority?

I wouldn't do it. As it is, I'm not happy with the scuffing of black paint on the hot shoe of the xpro1/5Dmk1....... but I suspect for reasons above there may just be a market for "worn" looking Fujifilm cameras.

Overalls, Fender Stratocaster and Leica. New vintage models refer to their glorious fathers. What father could you refer for making a vintage Fuji camera?  For example, a Fuji X100 artificially aged won't look like an old camera, but like a prematurely worn camera belonging to a careless owner. ;)

I never understood why people are willing to pay more for a relic guitar than for the same guitar without dings and dongs. I am gifted with the talent to knock my gear around. So the dings and dongs come effortless after some time of use at no cost. I have no need to pay other people to do it for me This is also true for my cameras.

yes,  but you can buy a new, fake pre-owned  Leica though.

Or you can use it and put it through its paces; my M9 has been all over Africa, Antarctica and India with me over the past 7 years.

It went to Leica to have the sensor replaced, FOC. While it was there they offered to also replace the top cover at a cost of several hundred Euro.

I declined, I figured that they should rather be paying me a premium for my cover plate, seeing that they're using these cover plates on the Lenny Kravitz version, and selling them at a rather inflated price!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mine will soon look like one. On the right strap lug, the nickel plating is gone, and you can see copper(?). The left strap lug has scratches. The rubber started to expand and is peeling off from the bottom, and the left door is bulging more and more every week. Some water got under the upper left corner of my display protection glass, and it has a lot of scratches. (I'm happy I bought one).

Only the black coated metal parts don't look broken from the outside, that coating is very tough.

The good thing is, no one will steal this camera. And it still works mighty fine.

/edit: I forgot the part that's relevant for this thread: I don't have to make one, it's happening already.

Edited by quincy

I doubt that it would be copper it would be way to soft!

Maybe brass... but which Fuji has a brass body? The X-T1? From this picture it most certainly doesn’t look brass. Shouldn't this be a Magnesium? Fuji says it is, and that is whitish as magnesium.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t1/features/page_03.html

pic_03.jpg

magnesium-body-x-pro-2.jpg

Unfortunately new cameras don’t age well, they are not meant to.

Average turn-over is too short!

I'm not sure it's the base material already. When plating metal with nickel or chrome (Fujifilm says it's nickel on the X-T1's strap lugs), there is usually one or more copper layer(s) applied as protection for the base material (to prevent oxidation through the very thin nickel/chrome layer), and to fill up microscopic scratches and dents which would be very apparent after the final glossy layer has been applied.

But I'm not sure either, because the strap lugs don't seem to be integrated in the body directly. I think they might be screwed on (under the rubber somewhere). And then, they could be machined from bronze.

So far, it hasn't started to corrode or oxidize, it's still a beautiful coppery-red color.

/edit: I'll take a picture for you when I find my Sony.

/edit2: found my Sony, charged the battery, took a picture:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(and now I remember why I bought that Sony... It's not that bad)

Edited by quincy

Your camera will age, and gain the look of age if you use it. 

Creating fake ware and tear on your camera is like wearing a fake press pass, or wearing makeup that gives you a scar so people will think you are more 'interesting'.... 

Let your camera age naturally...

I suppose the relic model is not much different than the X-T1 graphite. I paid extra for that cause I like how it looks like my old film cameras (various people have mentioned when seeing me with it that you don't see film cameras much anymore). Somehow a relic model seems like cheating though. 

Leica can have 2 levels of relic model... the ones that look worn, but look worn in the same way, then the customized worn look where each one is differently worn. 

• 1 month later...