X-Pro 2 LCD live view color different than final image

When I am shooting the X-Pro 2 on LCD, I find that the color shown on LCD live view is more vibrant and has higher saturation. However, after the picture is taken and I checked in the play mode the color seems to be less colorful, vibrant and less saturation. I actually liked the LCD live view better. Does that happen to you X-pro 2, too?

Perhaps the camera in live view simply can't fully analyze and process the image to properly calculate white balance and apply all image and film simulation processes. Also, I believe that in live view, the camera operates with a wide aperture for focusing reasons and then stops down for the shot. This different amount of light coming in would also suggest that the camera is not providing a fully accurate exposure and depth of field during live view. I notice this same thing with my X-E1 on its latest firmware. It may just be the nature of things... Not sure though. Good topic for discussion. 

B

Perhaps the camera in live view simply can't fully analyze and process the image to properly calculate white balance and apply all image and film simulation processes. Also, I believe that in live view, the camera operates with a wide aperture for focusing reasons and then stops down for the shot. This different amount of light coming in would also suggest that the camera is not providing a fully accurate exposure and depth of field during live view. I notice this same thing with my X-E1 on its latest firmware. It may just be the nature of things... Not sure though. Good topic for discussion. 

B

I just noticed that it not only applies to LCD but also applies to the electric view finder. When I took the picture I used the max aperture so the aperture does not explain the difference. Since my X70 (sure it's the latest firmware) does not have the problem, I'm sure it's kind of a bug for X-pro2. With this problem, the camera is not exactly WYSIWYG.

I just don't know if this problem only happen to my camera or it's a universal problem. If it applies only for my camera I have to replace it.

Here is an update after I contacted Fujifilm customer service, USA. They said that the color should be the same in the EVF or LCD before and after clicking the shutter. They actually tried one at their office and they did not notice any difference between the live view and the final image. They suggested me to reset the camera to default (factory) settings and try again. Since I don’t have mine at hand, I’ll try this afternoon after I go back home. And will update the thread.

So, if you have one at hand, could you try comparing them? If might be a potential bug affecting some of the cameras. 

Problem solved.

So I did a factory reset today and found that the color in live view become the same as the final image. After I changed the setting back one by one, I found finally figured out what has been causing the problem – RGB settings. I changed to AdobeRGB after I received the camera (don’t ask me why, I did the same thing for my X-E2, X100S, X100T…), and it is the AdobeRGB that caused the color in the live view to be different than the color in the final image. After switch back to sRGB the color became the same. I called Fuji customer service that they are saying it is normal, just two different standards. I was just amazed by how the color are that less saturated for AdobeRGB.

So, from today on, I’ll stick to sRGB…

If you read a little about the other standard, you might want to try sticking with the wider gamut as a raw capture to be made sparkly again in post. I would hope that the A-rgb would offer some useful flexibility. It's your call, of course.

Very helpful post for all of us; glad you described this.

Edited by jonathan7007

• 1 year later...