Nikon D7000 to X-T1

sebas1430

When using 8FPS on X-T1, does the camera do the focus on every frame?

And it would be great if the X-T2 doesn't have a blackout period.

Thanks

Almost. I can shoot people running on moderate speed and get about 80% of the shot in sharp focus.

[...]

[...]

Currently not possible, the camera has to turn off the EvF to send the information to the sensor, the Sony a6300 works around that by displaying the pictures taken straight into the EvF about as fast as the burst. 

It doesn't fully take away the blackout but it does alleviate it a bit. Still, I would need to go birding with it to be certain of its capabilities, but then I remember the prices of the lenses...

Thanks

The blackout time is less on the X-Pro2 than the X-T1... distinctly less obtrusive. 

The new processor in the X-Pro2 is much faster. Shorter blackout, faster writing, faster EVF refresh, faster turn on/wake up, etc. With the X-T1 in single mode, I have to pause when taking a photo before taking the next one. With the X-Pro2 in single mode, I can go click click click at maybe 3 frames per second. Basically, as fast as my brain can intelligently make choices.

I do a lot of photo-journalism at events that are frequently fast moving. I've done fine with the X-T1 but it does lag behind the speed of my own decision making so I have to account for it. In that sense the camera gets in the way a bit. I've happily lived with it because I knew the next iteration would be faster and because the Fuji build, ergonomics and especially lenses are so good and aesthetically pleasing. 

The X-Pro2 feels agile and unobtrusive for what I do. That is the point at which I don't really care if it gets faster. The X-Pro2 (performance wise) is what I want the X-T1 to be... so like I said, bodes well for the X-T2.

I am curious to try the X-Pro2 optical viewfinder in a fast moving situation. Obviously there is no blackout, and you can see more than the image frame which is useful out on the street. There have been so many times just as I have been triggering the shutter, something comes into the frame that I didn't expect. 

• 3 weeks later...

The D7000 is a great camera actually. Does not hurt to keep one foot in both worlds, I see Adorama, etc. selling them for like $379  right now as a genuine Nikon refurb and have considered grabbing one myself.

There are some Nikon lenses that are simply amazing, especially if you already own them, like the Nikon 16-35 f/4 for landscape.

I look at having multiple-camera body brands as just "broadening the sport".

I deer hunt with a rifle.

I also deer hunt with a bow sometimes. Is the rifle more effective, yes. But sometimes its fun to approach the task differently, slowly, making it about enjoying the task and not just seeing how many shots you can plunk down range in fast order.

That goes for photography and hunting. :rolleyes: 

The D7000 is a great camera actually. Does not hurt to keep one foot in both worlds, I see Adorama, etc. selling them for like $379  right now as a genuine Nikon refurb and have considered grabbing one myself.

There are some Nikon lenses that are simply amazing, especially if you already own them, like the Nikon 16-35 f/4 for landscape.

I look at having multiple-camera body brands as just "broadening the sport".

I deer hunt with a rifle.

I also deer hunt with a bow sometimes. Is the rifle more effective, yes. But sometimes its fun to approach the task differently, slowly, making it about enjoying the task and not just seeing how many shots you can plunk down range in fast order.

That goes for photography and hunting. :rolleyes: 

I know many people have different brands, but I prefer allowing all my budget to a single camera mount.

That being said, I got my X-T1 yesterday!!  :D I picked a 18-55 f2.4-4 for now and I plan to get the following lenses in the coming weeks/months

- Rokinon 12mm f2

- XF 35 f2

- XF 55-200

- XF 100-400

I'm also considering adding either a 16mm or 10-24

I will read carefully the manual in the next days and install the latest firmware.

Are you sure you need both, 55-200 and 100-400?

To me, the 100-400 is a specialized lens made for wildlife and sports. It's big and heavy but the weight is not an issue with that kind of photography.

The 55-200 could be used as an everyday lens. Using that lens for landscape and cityscape can give interesting results with the compression effect.

I moved away from a Nikon D7000 as part of my overall adoption of Fuji. I use an X-T1 and it is the best camera I've owned. Combine that with the lens quality and I think it's a combination that's hard to match (without going to full-frame, perhaps). If I could just pick one of the major benefits of the X-T1, it's the usability. All of the controls are on the outside, and the degree of function button configurability means that you can get one-button access to most things you need to get to.

I moved away from a Nikon D7000 as part of my overall adoption of Fuji. I use an X-T1 and it is the best camera I've owned. Combine that with the lens quality and I think it's a combination that's hard to match (without going to full-frame, perhaps). If I could just pick one of the major benefits of the X-T1, it's the usability. All of the controls are on the outside, and the degree of function button configurability means that you can get one-button access to most things you need to get to.

So far, I'm really happy with the X-T1 design and controls. Love the fact that you can access the menu while shooting with the EVF really quickly. The AF assist button is great. I only did a few test shots. I can't wait to find a real subject to shoot this weekend to see how it performs in reality. But I think I will like the EVF better than an OVF. It's great to see the histogram before taking the shot.

The only thing I noticed is that the tripod mount is not aligned with the middle of the lens, which I can't understand. I used to have a carry speed mount plate always installed on my Nikon body, but now the plate goes on the battery door. Also, I would need to install the plate on the reverse position (strap attachment behind the camera instead of beside the lens). Anyway..not something dramatic.. I will install the plate only when I need to use my strap or use the tripod.

The only thing I noticed is that the tripod mount is not aligned with the middle of the lens, which I can't understand. I used to have a carry speed mount plate always installed on my Nikon body, but now the plate goes on the battery door. Also, I would need to install the plate on the reverse position (strap attachment behind the camera instead of beside the lens). Anyway..not something dramatic.. I will install the plate only when I need to use my strap or use the tripod.

I bought an Arca Swiss type L-plate from PhotoMadd - highly recommended. It's a perfect fit for the X-T1 (some of the eBay knock-offs don't fit perfectly, as I know to my cost, having had one scratch a camera base plate in the past). Once fitted you can get to the battery, cable and SD card doors, and it includes a new tripod mount which is on the lens axis. I keep it on the camera all the time, as it provides some  protection and also means that I can mount it on the tripod in landscape or format configuration.