XT10 - planning to buy: need suggestions & help

Dr.Nipun

Hello respected photographers and members,

I am planning to buy a Fuji XT10 in near future. I have seen almost all the reviews in youtube regarding xt10 and I am very much convinced that it will be a good camera to buy. I also want to buy the accessories needed for the camera. So I have a few qs in mind regarding the camera & the accessories. I will be much obliged if someone helps me out:

1. I live in a country where 99% photographers use either canon or nikon. So when I am asking for advice from someone, people are discouraging me to buy a Fuji. But I am really inclined to Fuji XT10 due to the form factor & quality. So what you guys suggest? 

2. I am kind of unhappy that XT10 doesn't have OIS built-in. So what you say will it be a big deal shooting with XT10 with non-IS lenses? I am a smartphone photographer, so I know OIS is a big deal for smartphone photography. Should I wait for XT20 (or something like that)?

3. How good really is the kit lens (18-55mm) for the beginning? I like nature photography as well as street. But of course I will take portraits too. 

4. I have a bunch of 52mm filters. The kit lens has 58mm thread. If I use a 58-52mm step down ring, will it cause uncorrectable vignetting? 

5. Will any 58mm lens cap fit with the kit lens?

6. Suppose I plan to buy new filters. What will the best size to choose keeping in mind that in future I may broaden my lens collection. And if I buy bigger filters, what type of lens caps should I buy? What size more preciously.

7. Is anyone using 3rd party or different OEM lenses with XT10? How's the performance?

8. What lens (Fuji or any other good ones) will be the best for a little bit wide angle distortion but not full fish eye effect?

9. What speedlight should I buy? I am a tight on my budget.

10. Can anyone compare the kit lens with the LG G4 camera if possible?

Many many thanks if u have read this thread and many more thanks if you can help me with these.

Hi and Welcome. Just some short thoughts:

1. I don't care what other people think.

2. Fujifilm managers said there will never be IBIS for the X-Mount. Stabilization in the body is called IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation), stabilization in the lens is called OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). Fuji's prime lenses are faster than the zooms, so the lack of OIS is compensated for a bit, but then the depth of field is shallower. Just select a faster shutter speed.

3. The 18-55 is great. I don't like the cheaper 16-50, but others do.

4. I have used 55 mm polarising filters on the 18-55 and they were vignetting-free, even at 18 mm. I think 52 won't be too bad. But you should use only one ring, don't stack multiple ones.

5. I don't see why not, but what's wrong with the original one?

6. The biggest filter thread is 77 mm right now, on the XF 100-400 and the XF 16-55.

7. You don't have any automatic feature when attaching ANY other lens than a Fujinon or one of the three Zeiss Touits. Other than that, it's fine. So don't attach lenses that can't be controlled manually (focus, zoom, aperture).

8. Fujinon wide angle lenses are distortion free, they are perfect rectilinear. The Samyang 12 mm has a slight barrel distortion, but it's less than 2% which is pretty impressive for a lens that wide, so you could call it rectilinear too. Why do you want distortion anyway?

9. If the built in flash is not powerful enough, you could try the EF-X20. Or the Nissin i40.

10. There is no comparison between the X-T10 + XF18-55 and the G4. Really.

Hello respected photographers and members,

I am planning to buy a Fuji XT10 in near future. I have seen almost all the reviews in youtube regarding xt10 and I am very much convinced that it will be a good camera to buy. I also want to buy the accessories needed for the camera. So I have a few qs in mind regarding the camera & the accessories. I will be much obliged if someone helps me out:

1. I live in a country where 99% photographers use either canon or nikon. So when I am asking for advice from someone, people are discouraging me to buy a Fuji. But I am really inclined to Fuji XT10 due to the form factor & quality. So what you guys suggest? 

2. I am kind of unhappy that XT10 doesn't have OIS built-in. So what you say will it be a big deal shooting with XT10 with non-IS lenses? I am a smartphone photographer, so I know OIS is a big deal for smartphone photography. Should I wait for XT20 (or something like that)?

3. How good really is the kit lens (18-55mm) for the beginning? I like nature photography as well as street. But of course I will take portraits too. 

4. I have a bunch of 52mm filters. The kit lens has 58mm thread. If I use a 58-52mm step down ring, will it cause uncorrectable vignetting? 

5. Will any 58mm lens cap fit with the kit lens?

6. Suppose I plan to buy new filters. What will the best size to choose keeping in mind that in future I may broaden my lens collection. And if I buy bigger filters, what type of lens caps should I buy? What size more preciously.

7. Is anyone using 3rd party or different OEM lenses with XT10? How's the performance?

8. What lens (Fuji or any other good ones) will be the best for a little bit wide angle distortion but not full fish eye effect?

9. What speedlight should I buy? I am a tight on my budget.

10. Can anyone compare the kit lens with the LG G4 camera if possible?

Many many thanks if u have read this thread and many more thanks if you can help me with these.

1. I don't care about others

2. IBIS for photos never bothers me OIS is provided on most zoom lenses on primes it never seems to matter to me, (99% of the time I only use prime lenses) as If you are shooting shorter focal lengths you can normally hand hold down to 1/60s or 1/30s without camera shake becoming an issue, slower speeds than this you will normally be shooting a landscape, or some other situation a tripod or mono pod would be used; Anything that moves e.g. people such a slow shutter speed would introduce motion blur.

As the longer zoom lenses have between 3 and 5 stops of stabilisation built in to the lens, relatively slow shutter speeds can be used hand held without any camera shake issue.

3. I don't have it so can't comment from my personal experience, however internet reviews I have read put it up with the very best kit lenses.

4. Sorry can't help, only filters I use are protection filters

5. IDK

6. As I do not normally use filters, never thought about this, but I'd guess if you regularly use them, i'd buy the bigger size and step down

7. I've used some 30 year old K mount lenses with a dumb adapter, I've never had any issues with quality, though manual focus only

8. Never used any, some others use the Samyang 8mm Fisheye, I'd ask them.

9. Can't help, as currently I do not own one, but the XT-10 does have a small built in flash

10. Sorry

There is hardly any distortion on the 10-24 F4 lens, it is very well controlled. I gave bee shooting with it on semi-regular basis and really don't have any issues with it.

Plus, a lot of the modern raw file development programs are perfectly able to correct any of the left over distortion.

As both poster above, stop caring about what other think and go for what you want, the only two advantages Canikon has over Fuji at the moment are the lenses selections, they have been making lenses for their camera for over 30 years for Canon and over 50 years for Nikon, kind of hard to compete against that when the XF mount just passed 5 years old some month ago. The second one is fast moving subjects with erratic movements, such as birds for example.

At below ISO 6400 you will bit just as good as most of Canikon, above you will struggle a bit more as X-T10 native ISO caps at 6400, anything above that is going to be jpeg only files.

If you are worried about the kit lens, don't, it is a perfectly fine lens for a starter photograher.

For the speedlight, unless you really know what you are doing, I would not advise you to get one. Keep the money to the side for the moment and start learning your camera first, when you start to understand the limitation of your popup flash, then start looking for a speedlight, chances are, newer model will be released and old good ones could drop in prices.

Comparing the a smartphone camera with anything with dedicated camera is surprising, it is akin asking if your 900 bicycle is better than a real motorbike. 

Long story short, pick what YOU want, don't hesitate to go to a camera store and ask to hold the X-T10 and manipulate it for a bit to see if it feels right in your hand and remember, have fun with it, it's just a hobby after all :]

Using an x-pro1, but I imagine the sensor is close enough to the x-t10's  for these comments to be valid:

1) If it is just the concern of form factor and quality then no worries; fuji is fine. The only thing which I would be concerned about is whether you'll get proper support and no inflated prices due to everyone selling the other camera brands and being unfamiliar with fuji.

2) The lack of ibis is not really a problem, but, if you also have a non-ois lens, you have to take care to set the minimum shutter speed properly! 

7) Voigtlaender nokton 40mm with fuji adapter, Asahi takumar 105mm with K&F concept adapter. Delicious ^_^ .

• 3 months later...

The X-T10 and the 18-55 kit lens are nothing short of amazing. I come from years of using a Canon 5D MKII, 50D plus a bunch of expensive glass. The Fuji makes you think harder about your photography and is a joy to use. Even hunting eBay for old film lenses to use with the camera is fun.... Life is short, live for the now, and dont listen to others. Take the great advice in this forum and buy your Fuji. :-) All the best.

Edited by davek