Let’s Drop The RUMOR-BOMB: Fujifilm is forging a MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA (Source Right in Past)

i just hope that Fuji do produce a Professional Digital Medium Format system. Having used high end digital backs for many years I am tired of an outdated camera system that constantly fails. If they think there is a market share then doubt they will look at it. They certainly have the heritage and knowledge to do so. Their medium format system the GX680 was cutting edge with arguably the best glass for a medium format system [they also made lenses for Hasselblad] I used one for many years and even with a modern digital back still produces fantastic images. In the late 1990's Fuji even produced a digital back for the GX680. Guess they were little ahead of their time and it never really caught on. Of course photography has changed somewhat and we all expect lighter, more multi purpose and portable system unlike the heavy more studio bound GX680 camera. I cannot imagine Fuji incorporating a third party sensor manufacturer such as Sony into their cameras. Surely they would use the technology from their smaller sensors. Fuji have enormous R&D resources in which the photography division is a small part of their overall business. Please Fuji bring it on, if any company can create another medium format system, then no doubt it is Fuji!

With the X100, yes please.

The success of the Fujifilm X-cameras with interchangeable lenses is their small size. Small cameras with superb IQ. Big cameras with superb IQ? Others can do that better. Very big cameras with very big sensors (MF)? I don´t know. Hasselblad, Pentax and Leica are already there. The market for MF is not very large. If Fujifilm wants a piece of the market share in the MF segment, they can do this with a low price. Significantly more inexpensive than Pentax. But low price an good quality doesn´t work in my option.

A smallish medium format sensor in a mirror-less body slightly smaller than the top FF DSLR's would appeal to me. Fuji does not have the existing investment in FF glass like Canon or Nikon so is free to explore that territory. I have no idea if there would be enough of a market but it is a big enough sensor that it and APS-C can coexist well. Once Nikon went Full Frame, the APS-C format has languished somewhat. I would not like to see that happen with Fuji.

i just hope that Fuji do produce a Professional Digital Medium Format system. Having used high end digital backs for many years I am tired of an outdated camera system that constantly fails. If they think there is a market share then doubt they will look at it. They certainly have the heritage and knowledge to do so. Their medium format system the GX680 was cutting edge with arguably the best glass for a medium format system [they also made lenses for Hasselblad] I used one for many years and even with a modern digital back still produces fantastic images. In the late 1990's Fuji even produced a digital back for the GX680. Guess they were little ahead of their time and it never really caught on. Of course photography has changed somewhat and we all expect lighter, more multi purpose and portable system unlike the heavy more studio bound GX680 camera. I cannot imagine Fuji incorporating a third party sensor manufacturer such as Sony into their cameras. Surely they would use the technology from their smaller sensors. Fuji have enormous R&D resources in which the photography division is a small part of their overall business. Please Fuji bring it on, if any company can create another medium format system, then no doubt it is Fuji!

I hope so too.  Since about 2001 I've shot Leaf medium format backs on primarily the Fuji 680lll.  I'm a studio product guy for the most part and need the ability to use the Scheimplug principle.  Short of a technical camera, the 680 works well and the lenses hold up.

And while the medium format back still puts out a beautiful file, it is hopelessly behind the times with ISO.  I know it ain't going to happen but would love to see Fuji do an interchangeable back somewhat reasonably priced...of course.

I cannot imagine Fuji incorporating a third party sensor manufacturer such as Sony into their cameras.

All of Fuji’s X models feature Sony sensors. Some of these are off-the-shelf versions, others are custom-made for Fuji.

Apologies for the spam:

http://www.eyesuncloudedphoto.com/blog/2015/1/7/dear-fuji-this-is-my-wishlist-for-2015

This was what I wrote some months ago (check at the end of the article, above), and I stick to my wish for a compact-type MF camera.

I believe this is the best possible way to go about it. FF is a total waste of time, for the main Fuji system, they just have to make the best possible APS-C sensor camera and be done with it. Lens selection is awesome (and growing), user base is there.

A digital version of the GA645 (or zi or W version), using the latest Sony sensor with a X-Trans array, would be phenomenal for a variety of uses. Esp. if combined with a couple of conversion lenses. This is why I think of it as a MF X-100.

A niche product, to be sure, but one covering an important and exciting niche.