Let’s Drop The RUMOR-BOMB: Fujifilm is forging a MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA (Source Right in Past)

I think you'll like it ;)http://www.fujirumors.com/lets-drop-the-rumor-bomb-fujifilm-is-forging-a-medium-format-camera-source-right-in-past/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't know how popular this opinion is, but I'd love a rangefinder-style with a fixed 50mm equivalent, say 2.8 with a leaf shutter. This is probably unrealistic, but if they could do that for around the $2000 mark, I'd to everything I could to buy one. I normally prefer 35mm, but 50mm is still good for an every day focal length, and it's tight enough for me that I can do headshots with it, too.

A guy can dream. It'll probably be $8k minimum, if the Pentax 645z is anything to go by.

Why?

Why not? Wouldn't exploring a larger sensor, new pixel orientations, dynamic range possibilities, and developing all the supporting hardware (i.e processor) and firmwares help in the miniaturization process with your other cameras? I could be completely wrong but I think it would only benefit all your divisions as a whole.

I don't know how popular this opinion is, but I'd love a rangefinder-style with a fixed 50mm equivalent, say 2.8 with a leaf shutter. This is probably unrealistic, but if they could do that for around the $2000 mark, I'd to everything I could to buy one. I normally prefer 35mm, but 50mm is still good for an every day focal length, and it's tight enough for me that I can do headshots with it, too.

+1 It would be awesome

A guy can dream. It'll probably be $8k minimum, if the Pentax 645z is anything to go by.

Here's their old MF Rangefinder (the GW690iii with an M6)

leica-m6-vs-fuji-gw690iii.jpg

Kinda looks like an X-Pro1 on steroids.  :D

If this is true the best aspect of it from my point of view is that it would seem to rule out 'full frame', which in turn confirms a long term commitment to APS. Having switched from Sony to Fuji precisely because Sony more or less abandoned APS to pursue FF, that's good news.

I would be all over the MF in a second. Of course, price is the ultimate factor, but it would be a good reason to dump most of my current (non-fuji related) gear. 

The question, which has been discussed before, is would the current lens line-up somehow be used? If so double win. 

Great news for people with $20k burning in their pocket for a new camera system.

The original Fuji MF camera was $1,474USD in 1985.  Adjuster for inflation that would be $3,288 if priced today.  I could see a price hovering around $4k-$5k for the body.

The question, which has been discussed before, is would the current lens line-up somehow be used? If so double win. 

I doubt that's at all possible. Off the top of my head I don't recall exactly how the current lenses and X-mount would line up with a 6x4.5 sensor, but a 6x6 or 6x7 would definitely be larger than the x-mount is capable of covering.

There's also the simple fact that the vast majority of the current Fuji lenses would all be considered super-wide on medium format, and their maximum apertures would be more or less incapable of getting anything in focus. For example, the 'standard' lens on my Mamiya RZ67 is 110mm f/2.8, which gives a similar look to a 50mm f/1.4 on a 35mm sensor body. For 6x4.5 medium format, around 80mm is usually considered 'standard'. Anything around 50-60mm is a wide-angle and anything 40mm or wider is a super-wide. So the new Fuji 90mm f/2 lens, the longest of the Fuji XF primes, would be the standard lens. The 56mm f/1.2 'portrait' would become a wide-angle. The 14mm would be like some kind of super-fisheye.

Fuji had a strong partnership with Hasselblad 15 years ago. Collaborating in the design of the Hassy H-series cameras, and designing the lenses for same. I think Fuji manufactured the first H-series Hasselblads, most or all of the lenses of that period, and even marketed their own (Fujifilm) auto-focus version of the H-series known as the GX645AF. So a MF Fuji with a mount giving access to 60 years of Hassy lenses? OMG.

Not interested at all. I came to Fuji because I wanted a small quality camera. I still have my FF Nikons so for me MF is out of the question.

I'm surprised Fuji is even considering this. The 50mp FF DSLRs are already competing with MF. I predict the market will be small.