x-pro 2 - the iso dial sucks big time.

Yes, the iso dial looks nice. It's cute. Very retro. But its a product of a bygone era where you set your ISO to match you film ISO (unless you wanna overxpose) and leave it alone.

But these days, shooting full manual involves  changing the ISO almost as much as you change your Shutter and Aperture. Having to pull up the dial and twisting it takes a lot of time and effort. Its stupid.

FUJI, can you at least allow us to reassign it to the Fn button? Do not force us to use your cute iso dial because it doesn't work for every situation.

It took a little adjustment for me to get used to it, But, I use the rear display to lift and turn and it works well, it changes on the display real time  My complaint was a little glare through the window for ISO made it hard to confirm.

I have no problem with it as I cut my photographic teeth on analogue cameras with dials like this, it can be a little challenging when shooting shutter priority to read clearly upside down but on the whole it is fine and it adds to the retro styling and does have a practical purpose that allows instant view of ISO rather than through a menu.

There will always be those who do not like it but I bet many do and Fuji have obviously canvassed many photogs before adding it as well as getting feedback from the 100+ X- photographers who tested the prototype and to date I have not read any of their reviews that list it as a negative.

When I use my xpro1 I miss the iso dial but when I use the xpro2 I miss the Fn button. :D

I will say this.....Fn button is slightly faster coz I can change iso on the fly without taking my eye off the evf/lcd.

i think once you use it a few times, you will get used to it and be able to adjust it without taking the camera away from your eye. I find it easier to operate than the dial on the X-T1 and appreciate that I don't have to put the camera up to my eye to go through a menu after pressing a fn button to adjust the ISO as I'm walking up to a scene I'd like to capture. Just a quick turn of a dial, while the camera is powered off, and the ISO is adjusted. Using it on a fn button encouraged me to try auto ISO because I couldn't be bothered to set it by having to look throu the EVF each time I wanted to see the setting and then make an adjustment. Edited by Nick05

i think once you use it a few times, you will get used to it and be able to adjust it without taking the camera away from your eye. I find it easier to operate than the dial on the X-T1 and appreciate that I don't have to put the camera up to my eye to go through a menu after pressing a fn button to adjust the ISO as I'm walking up to a scene I'd like to capture. Just a quick turn of a dial, while the camera is powered off, and the ISO is adjusted. Using it on a fn button encouraged me to try auto ISO because I couldn't be bothered to set it by having to look throu the EVF each time I wanted to see the setting and then make an adjustment.

You know what? You are right!

I've just tried doing what you suggested and it works....duh?!? Thank you for the nice tip. ;)

I like the ISO dial the way it is/was on the other models prior to the X-Pro2.  If you look at some of the reviews, especially if you get outside Fuji-fanboy-world, the combined dial  seems to be the one feature that was not a very good design move and gets panned by the reviewers.  Like the fashion pro Kai works with in his video featured on the Fuji Rumors site, for example.

Personally, I think Fuji should use the feedback to go back to the ISO-only dial on the X-T2.  Which I am waiting for in preference to the X-Pro2, together with a lot of other Fuji users according to that poll.

I generally like the iso dial on my new X-Pro2, and am quite used to it now. I especially like it during daylight hours. Shooting at night though, I miss dialing in the iso using a function button (as I can do using my X100T, or older XE2). Ideally in a future firmware update we would be given the option to reassign the iso to a Fn button if and when needed. Would that not give us the best of both worlds?

I struggled with it at first, but I'm really happy with it now. Other options would also work well, I'm sure, but as it is, I don't have any issues at all. Just took some getting used to. Just like most of the Fuji quirks. They're different, until you get to know them, and then you fall in love with them!

I generally like the iso dial on my new X-Pro2, and am quite used to it now. I especially like it during daylight hours. Shooting at night though, I miss dialing in the iso using a function button (as I can do using my X100T, or older XE2). Ideally in a future firmware update we would be given the option to reassign the iso to a Fn button if and when needed. Would that not give us the best of both worlds?

the dial is difficult to see in the dark, but so are all dials or buttons. That was really my only complaint with it initially, but then I realized I can still look through the viewfinder and watch the ISO change as I turn the dial. I think in most cases now, I am as fast or faster adjusting the ISO with this dial setup then on any previous camera I owned, including my Canon DSLRs.

Having done what Nick05 suggested, I now find that the iso dial works well.

If anything which I find slightly awkward is the larger size of the exposure compensation dial. It's probably in line with the bigger thumb grip...so I guess, it cannot be helped. On the xpro1, it's nice and smaller.

AF servo hits about 80% keepers. Not quite as confident as the 5D3 for example......and for that I guess it's down to the lenses. Other than that, it's a great camera for my usage. Absolutely loving it.

It would have been a better design if they locked the shutter dail in all positions and not only in A.

I don't mind pressing and turning for shutter change. Usually I but mine in T and change shutter with the front dail.

Please fuji I really think this would be the best change to make to the X-PRO2

Also, if you need to turn the dial a large distance, don't try to do it in one maneuver. Lift, spin a little, lift spin a little, repeat. I agree with Nick05, it actually is easier to access and use than the X-T1's separate dial, especially when looking through the viewfinder.

Edited by bffmike

I just purchased an X-Pro2. In the store was the first time I had one in hand. Because of comments about the ISO dial, that was one of the things I wanted to try before purchasing. The fact that it updates in the EVF as you turn it makes it work for me. I think it is a bit faster than my X-T1... well, for smaller changes. 

Being used to such dials from "back in the day," I think it will seem to suck less after you get used to it.

I agree. The more I use the ISO dial the more I really like it! I was doing some low light photography this evening, and as others have said here, it gets even better when you adjust the dial and are able to monitor the ISO change in the EVF.

Ditto previous remarks. I need to put on my reading glasses to see the ISO settings when I want to change them. I much prefer the separate ISO dial on the X-T1.

I think when the X-T2 comes out, i will probably trade in my X-Pro2 for this reason alone. Although I do love the OVF/EVF on the X-Pro2 along with the retro-look. Oh, such first world problems.

Regards,

Bud

www.budjames.photography