Nik Efex now free

Tom H.

Good news and bad news.

Good in that it's now free. Bad, in that it's final proof of what has been clear for a while, given the failure to update any of the Nik Collection products, which is that Google was only interested in Nik for the Snapseed app. Google's announcement makes this clear:

As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it

No doubt they will find ways to incorporate some elements of these products into Google Photos and Snapseed, but neither of these is an adequate replacement for the Nik Collection. Of course, these tools will continue to work well for now, but in the longer term, we have one less option.

Edited by olli

I used to hold this batch of software in very high regard.

But as time has gone on and no they didn't do much of an upgrade at all to it in what 3 years?

Other options that have come out are just so much better and easier and knowing that Google owned it in the first place made me wonder if they knew when I was pooping between making edits to my photos because...It's Google, they do that!

MacPhun, Pixelmator, and Afinity have taken over and between those three programs you pretty much can do anything for less than $100 total on either a mac or iPad and not have to pay for a monthy fee like what you have to do for Adope Cash Cl(ow)ud.

Czech