Computer stutters playing X-H2S footage

Hi all,

I am experiencing issues playing video captured on my X-H2S on my computer. I can open the file (with QuickTime), but the video stutters massively (like 1-2 FPS) while it plays. The fan also kicks in immediately so I think my computer is having a hard time with the file. I have the same issue in VLC.

I record in these settings on my camera:
4K 16:9 60 fps
H.265 ALL-I 422 MOV, 360 Mbps, F-Log2

My iMac has the following specs:
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2020
3,8 GHz 8-core Intel Core i7
24 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

I bought the camera because I want to create long recordings with high quality (hence the above HVEC settings), but is it normal that I cannot playback the videos? I'm sure my computer is not the fastest out there but a year ago it was the highest specced regular 27 inch iMac.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...

What you are experiencing is not unusual.  Try this:

Download Davinci Resolve--a very powerful free NLE.  Then, create proxies or optimized media.  Optimized media is a ProRes file.  Tell Davinci Resolve to use the either proxies or optimized media.  Then your files will play back fine for you to edit--I did this on 2016 MBP.  To save space, delete the optimized/proxies when you have completed your project.

If you do not want to create proxies or optimized media you will need a new computer.  The M1s work great.  I have a MBP M1 Max and it works great with H.265 All Intra 720 KB/s files created by my X-H2S.  No proxies or optimized media required.

Hope this helps.

Don