Possible problem with 16-80 f4. Can any owners help?

BobJ

My 16-80 has an annoying characteristic. The extending part of the lens barrel wobbles. When fully extended to the 80mm position the front of the lens has approx. 1.5 to 2mm play. This doesn't sound much but if examined in the viewfinder it is disconcerting to say the least. Apart from possible effect on the resolution I am worried, that if out in high winds, the lens will wobble about during the exposure, especially if a lens hood is fitted. My 70-300, despite having a much longer extension doesn't suffer with this problem.

My question is, is this the same on other examples or do I have a faulty lens?

P.S. The 16-80 needs a zoom lock. When the camera is carried on a strap it 'trombones' every time. The 70-300 has one but doesn't seem to need it! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I talked to the Fuji guy who was examining cameras for free at the show and he said that it is within spec. Their example was much tighter though! I know from experience that, although Fuji repair have been very good with obvious faults, that it will probably be a waste of money to send it in. I have bought a third party lens hood (Haoge lh-x18). This is metal, has a completely different design, and is heavier than the Fuji version. I am more confident that the lens will stay stable in high winds with this hood on.