Thank you and Hello!

Hello all, 

Thank the moderators for creating this place of discussion for Fujifilm users.  I was a Nikon shooter for ages and then started changing after the purchase of my still trusty X-E1.  I've been full-on into the system since 2020 (lack of stuff to do and maybe a little more free income then planned) so I really started investing in my kit.  I added a few more bodies (X-H1, X-T3, & X-T30) and a ton of lenses.  As far as my photography skills are I suppose I'm somewhere between a wannabe and a hack - I try really hard, study really hard and shoot as much as possible.  

Fujifilm vs. Nikon is a question I get asked a lot - and I can tell you this - the photos I have gotten from my Nikon kit are incredible - technically extremely good.  But as I started to shoot the X-E1 on travels - noticed something even more special - soul.  My photos seemed to have developed a character and feel which removed the clinical aspect out of my photography.  

My struggles with Fujifilm are largely technical - with my X-T3 I can't ever seem to nail the focus - which drives me nuts.  My X-H1 can be similar, but less so on the focusing issue.  My X-T30 seems to perform well and funny enough the best photos I get are still with my X-E1. 

I am hoping I can contribute to the forum with editing and composition - I think I am decent with this.  I really would like some assistance on improving my technical facility with the large bodies.

I have lots of bodies, lenses and other gear that I have not mentioned - so look at my profile and if you have questions about any of the gear listed there please let me know.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mark Woodbury
Wanted to add another photo of my kit.

I'm about 99% certain that the X-T3 and X-H1 should deliver better results - hence me joining the forum.  But - I have had really good luck with my photos in the X-E1.  If you were looking at them technically you would roll your eyes - but from an artistic perspective - people seem to like them.  Even won a few awards for a few of my photos over the years.

But Sharp and in Focus aren't always mutually dependent -  with my big bodies - there's a lot to learn on how the focus works.  With Nikon that was never an issue.  If I absolutely need a shot right now - I'll run my new / old D500 with the 70-200.  But the issue with the Nikon stuff really is the kit is heavy, and the photos lose some sort of context.  Not really sure why, but the NIKON RAWS alway process out so clinically clean.  Fuji's film simulations are incredible - and when shooting black and white - that's all I really use.  When I shoot color - I tend to play with the RAW files more often.

5 hours ago, cpX said:

One question: Which Fujifilm camera do you find most ergonomic?

The X-H1 is probably the most ergonomic for me, especially when using the battery grip - but when you use the grip with the X-T3 handles really well too.  I have a leather Fujifilm case for my X-T30 that makes the camera really comfortable to use.  The X-E1 is just ok, I really never use the EVF, so have the leather case makes it easier to hold, but its not ergonomic at all. 

One thing to note - with smaller lenses up to the 56mm f1.2 - the X-T3 is awesome to use.  As of late, has become my most used camera.  But with the big zooms - the X-T3 just seems a little out of sorts.  The X-H1 is the machine is use when I'm using the big glass.

Edited by Mark Woodbury
Added comments on ergonomics in relation to lens use.