XF56 vs XF90 - Your thoughts apprecaited

Toon

In all my years of studio photography I have never been asked what camera I use, which lens, what focal length, how many blades I have, its the work that counts.

So if the your doing outdoor portraits go for the 90, studio and indoor the 56, if your a wedding photog 50-140, your 90 will sit in the bag because you wont have time to faff about.

I think we're trying to compare apples and oranges here. The two lenses have nothhing in common, except the mount. You need to compare their respective 35mm-equiv. focal lengths to make that more obvious: One is a 85/1.8, the other a 136/3.0 and that's that really.

I dont't think anyone of You had bothered to compare these focal lengths in full format, right? Right. It's the same sort of thing when you compare f/1.4-lenses to their f/1.8-counterparts in full format systems. The only thing you can compare a f/1.4 lens to is another f/1.4 lens.

As for the example picture given (56 APD vs. 90), at least to me it's astounding how clearly the 56 APD shows it's "dollar value" for creamy and wonderful bokeh. No outlines to light sources. If You like that sort of bokeh (I do) the 56 APD delivers, the 90 doesn't. Even more interesting: the comparison between the 56 and the 56 APD.

No, the nice thing about employing apodization to improve the bokeh of a sharp, well corrected lens is that it will still be quite sharp within the plane of sharpness, yet produce a rather pleasant, creamy bokeh both in front and behind that plane.

That's good to know. Thanks.

I still own the 135L F2 on my 6D and this lens is amazing. If you want to shoot portrait during a wedding when people are talking it's the perfect focal lenght. In a day to day use, it's sure that 56mm (equ 85mm) will be more useful and versatile.

On the Canon system, I chose the 135 because it was an excellent tele but also because the 85 1.2L was really expensive. On the fuji system, I guess I'll go for the 56 for sure because the prices are quite the same.

I had the opportunity to put the 90mm on my x-t1. I liked the lens a lot. It's much easier to blow the background out (blurred) compared to the 56mm. But I have to admit, twice I was struggling because I didn't have enough room to do the shot I wanted ...So my opinion, I'll use this (when my lens will arrive in the shop) more than the 56mm because , yes, I'm a shy photographer. But I will always have the 56mm with me so I don't miss a shot when the 90mm is too long.

For street it's big, but not too big. 

In all my years of studio photography I have never been asked what camera I use, which lens, what focal length, how many blades I have, its the work that counts.

So if the your doing outdoor portraits go for the 90, studio and indoor the 56, if your a wedding photog 50-140, your 90 will sit in the bag because you wont have time to faff about.

Really?  Sheesh.  I get this all the time.  In fact, it bugs me that viewers/clients always chalk good photography up to the equipment, as in "Wow!  Great shot!  You must have a great camera..."

Wow. Done deal. The 56mm is great, but the 90mm is quite stunning. Can't wait!

I am confused.  Do you REALLY think the 90mm has a better bokeh rendering than the 56mm APD?  Look at the sharp distracting edges to the highlights in the 90mm sample...Now, I understand that beauty is the in the eye, etc., but typically bokeh fiends talk about smoothness.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the 56mm and perhaps a bit disappointed and feel I should have bought the 90mm now. It feels I should have gone for more of an extreme difference from the existing 35mm and gone for the 90mm instead.

I find the difference to be really dramatic. Excited to see comparions between the 56mm and 90mm though.

So, Toon, did you make a decision given that the rebates are about to end? I really want a 70mm lens, but I ended up getting the 56mm f/1.2 with the discounts.

Yes I did! After carefully reading everyone's comments, I decided on the 56mm for now. I like to get close (not too close) to my subject so (bokeh prefs aside) working with the 56 should be ok. Also, after playing around with my friend's Canon 135mm F2L lens (going back to FF felt...heavy haha), I found it a bit far for me. I kinda felt detached from my subject and that felt a bit off to me so....the 56mm should work out better :D .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s a street shot in Hong Kong :huh: . Pardon me & my frankness, it is just a picture though... nothing special. Not in terms of subject, composition, execution.

Some parts that aren’t in focus but without any real reason for it, some bits cut out left and right, the remnant of a blurred head of a passer by on the bottom of the picture... . What is there to say about it?

• 2 weeks later...