Xpro2 OVF usage

I like the OVF with primes.  EVF with zooms like the 55-200 or the 10-24 (I have not used the 55-200 with the X-Pro2 yet, but I am sure it would be EVF all the way).  Of course I am an X100T user.  Have not used the X-Pro2 much yet.

I haven't had the X-Pro2 long enough to do a lot of shooting with it. I also have an X100T so I expect I will use them similarly. I use EVF when framing and exposure are critical. I also tend to use it when I want more precise focus, but the popup electronic range finder window helps a lot with that. An example would be in portraits, i find it easier to use the EVF to ensure focus is on the eyes. The OVF is not as accurate for that, but again you can use the popup rangefinder window. The OVF works great when you are out taking photos on the street or anywhere you want to see more than your frame. It is helpful to see when someone is about to step into your frame or when composing and want to see what would be included if you take a few steps back. It is best suited for prime lenses. 

Don't forget that the OVF shows everything in sharp focus, independent of your aperture settings. This is better for street photography since the background in such photos are usually important to the frame. EVF if you want to dial in focus & bokeh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having also owned an X-T1, that's a definite yes. With an X-Pro2, people can see my smile so they're not as put off when I point the camera in their face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a good point and something I've been thinking more and more about. Must be easier and more natural to communicate with the person you shooting when they can actually see more of your face.

• 2 weeks later...

Owning one myself now for less than a week, I already know I will use OVF only, unless EVF comes in handy for precise framing. I hate EVFs from the bottom of my heart, because no matter what resolution they offer I always get the feeling I'm watching a terrible television screen. I simply find a radiant screen not natural to look at, and that will likely not change any time soon. It's the nature of the beast. 

OVF is good if the subject isn't too close. Otherwise mis-focusing will happen. The parallax correction and hypothetical green square is not really spot on in some circumstances. OVF is a joy to use in casual shooting or if you aren't too hurried in the process.

X-T1 is great for shooting from the hip due to the tilting LCD screen.

OVF is good if the subject isn't too close. Otherwise mis-focusing will happen. The parallax correction and hypothetical green square is not really spot on in some circumstances. OVF is a joy to use in casual shooting or if you aren't too hurried in the process.

X-T1 is great for shooting from the hip due to the tilting LCD screen.

Rangefinder type cameras are less accurate when 'framing' is the subject, true. On the other hand, I find the parallax correction of the X-Pro2 impressive, even at short distances, and I can't share (yet) the focusing issues you're talking about. 

I also don't understand your point about 'OVF and not being hurried'. I'm much more focused and alert looking through an OVF, thus feeling a lot quicker and responsive in the whole picture-taking process. 

Rangefinder type cameras are less accurate when 'framing' is the subject, true. On the other hand, I find the parallax correction of the X-Pro2 impressive, even at short distances, and I can't share (yet) the focusing issues you're talking about. 

I also don't understand your point about 'OVF and not being hurried'. I'm much more focused and alert looking through an OVF, thus feeling a lot quicker and responsive in the whole picture-taking process. 

No issues really. "Not hurried" as in having the time to take the shot, i.e. leisurely. I'm not a fast shooter when on the X system, although I can. While I love working through the OVF, I do find that the EVF translates errors I make more readily, i.e. wrong exposure, white balance...

The parallax correction on the pro2 is definitely a step up from the pro1. I've had a few misses on the xf35 wide open trying to focus on the eyes of my niece. The keepers on the OVF is currently lower than the EVF. Having said that, I've only had the Pro2 for less than a month.

Despite that, I love being able to use both the ovf and evf which is one of the biggest reason for my purchase.

Edited by Aswald

No issues really. "Not hurried" as in having the time to take the shot, i.e. leisurely. I'm not a fast shooter when on the X system, although I can. While I love working through the OVF, I do find that the EVF translates errors I make more readily, i.e. wrong exposure, white balance...

The parallax correction on the pro2 is definitely a step up from the pro1. I've had a few misses on the xf35 wide open trying to focus on the eyes of my niece. The keepers on the OVF is currently lower than the EVF. Having said that, I've only had the Pro2 for less than a month.

Despite that, I love being able to use both the ovf and evf which is one of the biggest reason for my purchase.

Ok, now I'm with you. My reasons for purchase are similar, but a bit opposite on priorities. I find myself missing more shots (timing wise) on an EVF because of loosing the direct link with reality, I guess. I have the camera for not even one week, and I already know I'll be hooked on it.

I miss focus on my Pro1, when the subject is about 1.5 meters and closer.  I always forget that I have to shift to EVF, and always miss it.  Glad to see this is something that has gotten better with the Pro2.  

Edited by CRAusmus

Sometimes I shoot through fences or window bars where I try to frame a subject in the spaces between them only to find the subject obscured by the bars because of parallax error. Guess I just have to train myself to go EVF in such situations. Regardless, I love that I can make that choice. However, when I use the EVF I feel like I'm watching surveillance video. With the OVF I feel like I'm part of the action which has a positive effect on my mindset while I'm photographing on the street.

Edited by bffmike

However, when I use the EVF I feel like I'm watching surveillance video. With the OVF I feel like I'm part of the action which has a positive effect on my mindset while I'm photographing on the street.

Well said! I have to remember this one ;-)

I use the OVF almost exclusively.  But I'm old so I don't really like EVF.  One of the reasons I like the X Pro and X100 is the OVF.  I am also using a Nikon Df.  I started with film in the 1970's so I'm too old to change.  Unfortunately the 16mm and 23mm lenses really aren't good for the OVF.  The 35 and 18 are fine.  I have a 56 but rarely use it.  I think I've used it 5 times on some portrait work I got wrangled into doing.

I am now on my third X Pro2 because of the Turn Off/Turn On problem.  I haven't tried out the third one yet.  I got it yesterday so maybe I will try it out today or tomorrow.  I am very happy with the Df so this will be my last Fuji camera.  I have had too many repair problems with them.

I bought an XT1 to see if I could adjust to an EVF.  I really did not like that camera at all.   

Honestly, if I had more time to spend in the darkroom I would just use the M6 and get rid of the digital cameras.  It's funny how set in your ways you get when you are older.  

I use the OVF almost exclusively.  But I'm old so I don't really like EVF.  One of the reasons I like the X Pro and X100 is the OVF.  I am also using a Nikon Df.  I started with film in the 1970's so I'm too old to change.  Unfortunately the 16mm and 23mm lenses really aren't good for the OVF.  The 35 and 18 are fine.  I have a 56 but rarely use it.  I think I've used it 5 times on some portrait work I got wrangled into doing.

I am now on my third X Pro2 because of the Turn Off/Turn On problem.  I haven't tried out the third one yet.  I got it yesterday so maybe I will try it out today or tomorrow.  I am very happy with the Df so this will be my last Fuji camera.  I have had too many repair problems with them.

I bought an XT1 to see if I could adjust to an EVF.  I really did not like that camera at all.   

Honestly, if I had more time to spend in the darkroom I would just use the M6 and get rid of the digital cameras.  It's funny how set in your ways you get when you are older.  

The DF should be able to let you do most things. On it's own, it's probably my favorite Nikon.

I guess the XPro2 because of the smaller size?

The DF should be able to let you do most things. On it's own, it's probably my favorite Nikon.

I guess the XPro2 because of the smaller size?

That and I shot a rangefinder for years on film.  However, I kind of draw the line at $5,000+ for a digital body.  I love my M6 but I would never spend $5000 on a digital body.  I really like the X Pro, but I'm on body number 3 for the X Pro 2 so I am really disappointed + my X 100T needed a viewfinder repair after 14 months.  I really love what Fuji is doing but I've had bad luck with the camera bodies.  I kind of got the Df on a lark because I sold off a bunch of film bodies and lenses I hadn't used in years.  It's a nice camera.  I would prefer the X Pro2....if it worked.  I got my third copy yesterday so I am going to maybe try it out tonight.  I was so excited because I loved the X Pro 1 so much.  The Turn Off/Turn On problem sort dimmed my enthusiasm.  Again, I'm old so I remember film bodies.  They just worked.  I have several that are three decades old that have never been serviced.  Sadly, digital technology just doesn't work that way.  I have noticed younger people are more patient with the problems than I am.  If I pay $1700 for something I expect it to work.  If I had paid say $300 well that would be a different story.  I'm just a grouchy old guy I guess.  :-)

I do wish they would make a smaller 23mm F2 for it.  The current 23 really eats into the OVF.  I am basically a 28-35-50 photographer.

That and I shot a rangefinder for years on film.  However, I kind of draw the line at $5,000+ for a digital body.  I love my M6 but I would never spend $5000 on a digital body.  I really like the X Pro, but I'm on body number 3 for the X Pro 2 so I am really disappointed + my X 100T needed a viewfinder repair after 14 months.  I really love what Fuji is doing but I've had bad luck with the camera bodies.  I kind of got the Df on a lark because I sold off a bunch of film bodies and lenses I hadn't used in years.  It's a nice camera.  I would prefer the X Pro2....if it worked.  I got my third copy yesterday so I am going to maybe try it out tonight.  I was so excited because I loved the X Pro 1 so much.  The Turn Off/Turn On problem sort dimmed my enthusiasm.  Again, I'm old so I remember film bodies.  They just worked.  I have several that are three decades old that have never been serviced.  Sadly, digital technology just doesn't work that way.  I have noticed younger people are more patient with the problems than I am.  If I pay $1700 for something I expect it to work.  If I had paid say $300 well that would be a different story.  I'm just a grouchy old guy I guess.  :-)

I do wish they would make a smaller 23mm F2 for it.  The current 23 really eats into the OVF.  I am basically a 28-35-50 photographer.

Apparently, the turnoff/on problem is a hardware issue. Something to do with the shutter getting stuck. On another thread, Fujifilm confirms this and the only way is a camera swap. Hope you are 3rd time lucky.

Years ago, after acquiring my first dslr, I'd realize that electronics won't last as long as mechanically driven slrs of yore. One of my 3 Canon A1s has had its aperture size detection sensor strip detaching itself from the pcb. To access that, I had to dismantle the entire mirror box assembly....

I'm an old grumpy guy too. So, you are not alone.

I have a X-Pro1, but I use the OVF 80% of the time, I guess. The optical VF is the whole point of the X-Pro line, I think.

I also use the X-Pro1 with suitable primes only. If you want to use zooms, or primes that don't work with the OVF, you ought to be using an X-E or X-T anyway, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by johant

• 3 weeks later...

OVF is great when you're waiting to catch someone who's going to be walking into your picture as you can see them in the field of view before they enter the frame lines.  That primes you for pressing the shutter at exactly the right moment.

Super precise framing is a non issue for me for most street photography situations as the subjects aren't so close to result in a radical parallax shift.  I'm more focused on  the spatial relationships between people in my frame lines rather than super precise positioning of a detail very near the edge of the frame, perhaps as in a landscape shot.  

Even the parallax issue has been largely addressed by the inclusion of that overlaid mini electronic evf-style display.  Incidentally, that reflects exposure compensation changes, so you can get an idea of how dark or light the picture without reference to the histogram whilst still in OVF mode.  OVF also saves a lot on the battery!