Newbie X-T1 owner, what do I need to take close macro shots?

whc

Got my X-T1 10 days ago, and really enjoy using the camera. Got the kit lens 18-135mm which is pretty good overall, and really like to be able to go wide and tele fast without changing/carrying several lenses. I really like to shoot flowers and bugs, and want to get real close macro shots, I can get pretty close with the 18-135mm, but would like the really capture closeup detailed sharp shots. Closer than the attached images I took today.

Well my question is, should I just go for the XF60 Macro, use extension tubes on my 18-135mm, or is there any other options without spending all my money on lenses (the XF60 can be bought pretty cheap though).

Only do this for fun, and already spent money one the camera, 3 extra batteries, fast UHS-2 card, and battery grip. Don't think the wife would like me spending that much more at the moment ;), so hoping for some solution that does not require spending allot of money on prime lenses at this time :).

Any help is apriciated :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by whc

More shots

Edited by whc

Nice photos!

I would go for the XF60. The extensions tubes are nice to raise the maximum magnification, but using them the working distance decreases, and the lens is

only usable for distances not much far from the working distance. For instance, you can have a better idea about the compromisses looking this pdf:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/pdf/mcex_01.pdf

This site have some photos illustrating the extension tubes usage:

http://www.fujivsfuji.com/mcex-11-vs-mcex-16/

Edited by JRphoto

Nice photos!

I would go for the XF60. The extensions tubes are nice to raise the maximum magnification, but using them the working distance decreases, and the lens is

only usable for distances not much far from the working distance. For instance, you can have a better idea about the compromisses looking this pdf:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/pdf/mcex_01.pdf

This site have some photos illustrating the extension tubes usage:

http://www.fujivsfuji.com/mcex-11-vs-mcex-16/

Am very tempted at getting the XF60 it can be bought pretty cheap on eBay, but with the XF120 around the corner, thinking that would be the perfect focal length for my shooting (60mm is a little short I think), maybe I would be better off getting the much cheaper extension tube and use my 18-135 for now, and save up for the (probably) hefty price tag of the XF120.

From what I have seen online, the 18-135 with extension can produce some pretty impressive macro shots, but like you said it is unusable for anything other than closeup with the extension off, so could be frustrating having to take the extension tube off if wanted to shoot anything else than macro.

Just have not been able to find comparison between the XF60 and the 18-135 with the extension on.

I have a 60mm which I've used about twice if you are interested. Not sure about finding the box.

Let me know and we'll figure out how to connect. I'm in NC.

Z

Thanks for the offer, though I live in Denmark and always a hassle importing stuff outside EU

Any macro you like with an adaptor so it can fit on your XF mount. Tubes come in a range of sizes so the working distance need not be as close if you don't want it to be [any tube that mounts will do no need to buy pricy ones - its just a tube]. A good macro is your best bet for sharp results.

Am very tempted at getting the XF60 it can be bought pretty cheap on eBay, but with the XF120 around the corner, thinking that would be the perfect focal length for my shooting (60mm is a little short I think), maybe I would be better off getting the much cheaper extension tube and use my 18-135 for now, and save up for the (probably) hefty price tag of the XF120.

From what I have seen online, the 18-135 with extension can produce some pretty impressive macro shots, but like you said it is unusable for anything other than closeup with the extension off, so could be frustrating having to take the extension tube off if wanted to shoot anything else than macro.

Just have not been able to find comparison between the XF60 and the 18-135 with the extension on.

If you can afford the XF120, no question, it will probably be the best solution, go for it! The XF60 is nice because is relatively cheap and you can use it from 18.5cm to infinity. In the pdf I presented

in the last post it compares numerically this two lenses, and the XF18-135 with the MCEX-16 has almost the same magnification (0.45x) as the XF60 alone. And yes, it is a bit frustrating using the

extension tubes because they limit the use to almost only macro shots.

Another option is to try a close up diopter, such as a Canon 500D, Nikon 4T, or Nikon 6T. 

I don't have a dedicated macro lens.  When I need to shoot as close as possible, I use a telephoto lens on extension tubes, on a tripod or some other form of support.  When I want the option to shoot handheld and closer than a lens will normally allow, I use a filter.  I have a Nikon 4T, which fits 52mm filter threads.  I use it on old manual focus Nikon lenses.  I believe the Nikon 6T fits 62mm threads, and the 500D comes in different sizes.  I'm sure you could find one to fit your zoom.

a few examples shot, autofocus, f 4 with the 60 no close up and the the following pics with a +1 +2 and +5 cheap Polaroid filters

+5

Thanks for all the advice, have just ordered some Polaroid close up filters here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UHY7D6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Maybe a good and cheap place to start, and then add on later the extension tube, then save my money and wait for the 120 macro lens to come out. Even though I am tempted to get the 60 macro (so darn cheap), don't think the 60mm reach is quite enough for my shooting, and with the extension tube I could get the same focus distance with my 18-135 lens (or even down to 4mm focus length if I read the chart correctly).

well, of course we all do what we do and need what we need. You certainly know best what is good for you.

So if you need to be further away from the subject and get a 1:1 picture, with or without the help of close up lenses or macro tubes, that the 60mm might not be for you.

I am very happy with the 60mm both as a portrait lens ( one of many, together with my other, al more or less, tweaked or adapted manual lenses ) and and a close up macro lens ( as macro as I need to go) with or without the aid of close up lenses.

I have discarded the enormous lens hood ( and found my own alternative to that) and it is one of the lightest ( and sharpest) and most compact lenses of the X system.

One word of advise over the close up filters. You might have noticed that I didn’t include a picture of the +10 Polaroid close up. I didn’t drop it and cracked it.

The + 10 is there but it might very well no be, if at all possible, don’t use it.

well, of course we all do what we do and need what we need. You certainly know best what is good for you.

So if you need to be further away from the subject and get a 1:1 picture, with or without the help of close up lenses or macro tubes, that the 60mm might not be for you.

I am very happy with the 60mm both as a portrait lens ( one of many, together with my other, al more or less, tweaked or adapted manual lenses ) and and a close up macro lens ( as macro as I need to go) with or without the aid of close up lenses.

I have discarded the enormous lens hood ( and found my own alternative to that) and it is one of the lightest ( and sharpest) and most compact lenses of the X system.

One word of advise over the close up filters. You might have noticed that I didn’t include a picture of the +10 Polaroid close up. I didn’t drop it and cracked it.

The + 10 is there but it might very well no be, if at all possible, don’t use it.

I'm sure the 60mm lens is beautiful, and am very tempted to picking it up, since it is so cheap, though came across a thread at another Fuji forum, and after seeing what this guy could produce with the 18-135 on extension tube and closeup filter, convinced me that I need to just try this out first, since it is also allot cheaper, tjek this out: http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/macro-and-close-up-learning-day-with-the-xf-18-135.36456/

And yes the 60 is not "true" 1:1 macro, kind of a bummer, but again it that price point it is at now, don't think you can go wrong anyway.

Looking forward testing the closeup filters firstly, and see what I can produce, in needed getting closer then will get the extension tube, still not satisfied, either get the 60mm cheap or save up for the 120mm

I found that using the Fujifilm MCEX-11 macro-adapter does a really nice job with the XF18-135 lens at the 35mm to 135mm zoom level. I also have a set of Toshiba Close-up lenses, but only use the No.4 lens. This combination serves me so well, that I decided not to invest in a dedicated macro lens. I like it actually better than my son's 105mm Micro-Nikkor. More versatile and greater DOF. 

Got my close-up filters today, and seems to work ok with the lens, though I will see once I get out there and shoot some more, hope I can get time to do so this week, if weather allows :).

First no filter, second +4, third +4 & +1 = +5, fourth +4 & +1 & +3 = +7

Edited by whc

I have something called a Sigma "Lifesize" screw-on filter (I do not know where I got it or when.)  I came across it in my bag last year and it fits my XF35 1.4 perfectly and gives amazing results. Check out this shot of a little chameleon I took just this past weekend.  The lizard is only 4-5 inches long in total.

Guest thiswayup

I have something called a Sigma "Lifesize" screw-on filter (I do not know where I got it or when.)  I came across it in my bag last year and it fits my XF35 1.4 perfectly and gives amazing results. Check out this shot of a little chameleon I took just this past weekend.  The lizard is only 4-5 inches long in total.attachicon.gifReptile Gardens (1 of 1).jpg

Excellent shot. How thick is the filter? It might be a multi-element achromatic. Some peoples assume they can't work as well as the other options because they're relatively low cost, but in reality they can give excellent results.

• 1 year later...

This site contains a comparison chart that i think is what you are looking for:

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/mcex-11-vs-mcex-16/