Hi there. I've just bought a second-hand X70 and I can’t seem to reset it to factory settings. When I choose reset in the menu I can't toggle to the required options, they're in red, all the commands I put in only toggles between 'ok' and 'cancel', the manual doesn't offer any help either. I would be very grateful for some help! Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried pulling out the main battery and leaving it sit on a shelf for several days to let the settings backup battery / capacitor completely discharge?

This should cause the settings memory chip to lose all of its current settings and go back to the factory defaults — as of the last update. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2022 at 4:05 AM, jerryy said:

Have you tried pulling out the main battery and leaving it sit on a shelf for several days to let the settings backup battery / capacitor completely discharge?

This should cause the settings memory chip to lose all of its current settings and go back to the factory defaults — as of the last update. 

Jerry, I have the opposite problem .. sometimes (I am testing various scenarios ..) after 1 or two days that camera is off (with full battery in) the settings (color +1 NR +1 ect..) for my BASE settings, are cancelled and go back to default "0" .. as well as ISO and other parameters ..

Any idea why?

Is there an internal additional battery (only for settings) that may be changed?

Thx ..

16 hours ago, Andree73 said:

Jerry, I have the opposite problem .. sometimes (I am testing various scenarios ..) after 1 or two days that camera is off (with full battery in) the settings (color +1 NR +1 ect..) for my BASE settings, are cancelled and go back to default "0" .. as well as ISO and other parameters ..

Any idea why?

Is there an internal additional battery (only for settings) that may be changed?

Thx ..

There is an internal capacitor (it acts like a battery in that it can supply some electricity but only for a short length of time) used to keep the settings storage chip running.

You mention the problem is only happening sometimes, which makes it sound like one of the parts has a slightly loose (possibly power) connection rather than being a dead part. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to put it on a test bench and trace the electronic pathways and see what turns up. A camera repair shop should be able to do this for you. Replacing the capacitor itself on that circuit board is not something easily done, unless you have the equipment and skills to do circuit board repair. Camera repair shops and computer repair shops tend to be more practiced at that kind of work.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by jerryy

Thanks.. I want to point out that the setting I am talking about are only those in the "shooting menu" (red menu icons)

"Blu icons" in the setup menus always remain as I set them up .. language, date time .. ect ..

That makes me think that - may be - the cause is different? .. I really don't know .. 🤔

Edited by Andree73

I am going to stick with guessing it is a hardware issue, those chips can have many (+) and (-) traces going into them so that the cells are supplied with juice all at once rather than one at a time. A cold solder joint can cause one set of cells to not be refreshed properly while the others are just fine. But, this will take some diagnostic efforts to trace.  a software issue on the other hand would show up in more than one camera body.

I do hope you are able to get this resolved.