Fuji XF 70-300 vs Tamron 18-300mm

veniceb

Hey guys. I need a better lens for my surf photography job and Was wondering which of these two lenses is better for that. The goal is to shoot from the beach so I think what’s important is the image quality of higher ranges. Am I right? Considering they’re both 300mm and the same price range, is the Fuji a better choice?

• 2 weeks later...

You are comparing a 4.3x zoom with a 16.5x. The 70-300 is a very sharp lens and considering how difficult it gets to make a zoom lens perform as the zoom ratio increases, I would be very surprised indeed if the Tamron can compete with the Fuji on sharpness 

I own a 70-300 Fuji and it has retired all my other lenses!!  I don't know anything about the Tamron, but they do make good lenses - the added range does make it sound like it would be less sharp.  But without a lens to lens comparison it would be hard to say what's best for what you want to do.

• 1 year later...

I just had to make the same choice I went with the Fuji. Based I what I read and also watched on YouTube. The Fuji lens was a bit better and it was only $100 more. I haven’t received it yet supposedly it’s in the  mail but it’s a difficult lens to find in stock right now. I also picked up the 1.4 Fuji teleconverter