L-Bracket for X-Pro 2

Hiya - has anyone found a 3rd party L-Bracket (Arca Swiss) for the X-Pro 2. The Fuji one is £99 which is going to be 3-8x more expensive than the CNC machines of China, and so long as it fits well and is properly machined for the slots then it seems more sensible to go 3rd party.

Don’t worry Methodphoto, soon there will be someone making a version for this camera too. I can just picture them recalibrating their CNC aluminum cutter.

I agree, I have had two L brackets for my X-T1 the first  a Sunaway, a bit more expensive bought at a local shop and the second one on Aliexpress , the latter was as cheap as inexpensive fried potatoes ( if there is still any such thing since chips are expensive nowadays!) and it is very good indeed.

Can't complain.

There seems to be folks out there who do 3d printing of L brackets. I’ve seen one for a X-T1, felt nice and lightweight, don’t know the price. Maybe, they are available somewhere too.

As a Really Right Stuff user for a long time, I am just going to get what they have.  I have tried some knock-off L brackets on my other camera bodies over the years, and it's just not worth it when you get a poorly-made one.  If someone finds a good one and posts it here, I'd be willing to try again.  

One thing that is really puzzling is that the ones for X-T1 and X-T10 are by far cheaper than the ones for X-E1 X-E2 which are often 100% (or more) more expensive  :blink:

There are still plenty on offer for X Pro 1 but I think that they aren’t ( are they?) compatible for X Pro 2, in any case no seller of these L plates advertises them for X pro 2

The Fuji one isn't an L-bracket if I remember correctly... It's just a baseplate and grip set without vertical capability, no? If it IS an L-bracket, it's actually cheaper than the RRS equivalent, once you add a grip to the RRS version.  RRS hasn't announced any plans for a grip for the X-Pro 2, but their grip sets for other Fujis are around $190. The L-bracket (no grip) will be $130. Fuji wants $130 for a baseplate and grip, with no L component, and I haven't seen anything suggesting there will be an L component for it (I don't think Fuji has offered L components for other cameras). If RRS doesn't add a grip to their offerings, which they do for some Fujis, but not others, there will be an interesting dilemma for any photographer who wants both a grip and an L bracket... They had a grip for the X-Pro 1 and still offer them for the X100 and X-E lines, but they don't do grips for the X-T line (and the X-Pro 2 has a more pronounced built-in grip than the X-Pro 1 or X-E lines, but not nearly as much as the X-T line).

Also, an X-Pro 1 baseplate won't fit. Even if the dimensions were identical (as I recall, the X-Pro 2 is a couple of mm thicker), the X-Pro 2 tripod mount is on-axis, while the X-Pro 1 mount was off-axis..

Hi everyone,

I live in HK and have asked the local store who makes these in Mainland China about the X-Pro 2 version (Grip + bracket) similar to the X-T1 model shown above by Milandro. They told me they should have some available in March and will be channeled to their distributor which will eventually find their way to the rest of the world.

From my experience, there are many manufacturer in China who made these but their quality differs greatly for some reason, so I alway go with my camera to try it out before I buy.

Also, an X-Pro 1 baseplate won't fit. Even if the dimensions were identical (as I recall, the X-Pro 2 is a couple of mm thicker), the X-Pro 2 tripod mount is on-axis, while the X-Pro 1 mount was off-axis..

Thanks for your post! I'm actually considering to get a Fuji hand grip for my X-Pro2 and I was wondering whether the one for the X-Pro1 would be compatible.

My doubts were just coming from the X-Pro2 built-in grip, which looks more pronounced, but I had completely missed the point of the different position of the tripod mount on the two cameras. Because of that, the Fuji hand-grip - or any other third party base plate or L-Bracket - needs to be one specifically released for the X-Pro2. Thanks!

Theres one here on ebay, it looks a bit crude though.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/162003827666?rmvSB=true

on second thoughts, and hindsight, this is not a specific X pro 2 baseplate, in fact they show the X-E2 and the X-T1 in their ad too!

And in both cases the plate is useless to me since it blocks the access to the battery (or the card and battery for the X-E2).

The reason why I would want a plate is in order NOT tho continuously fiddle with a mini plate blocking access ( I have 3 of those and don’t really know what to do with them!)

Front grip is also an added bonus absent on this contraption.

I have an L-bracket with additional grip, like Milandro's, for my X-E2; it's chinese made and, honestly, of great quality, no issues whatsoever.

My guess is we'll see several for the X-Pro2 in the following couple of months or so. So I'd suggest a little patience.

Hint: the additional grip will make the X-Pro2 waaaaaaay more practical and ergonomic, esp. with longer/heavier lenses. As a reminder, the whole thing will be quite heavier, though.

yes, the weight increase is substantial with any plate-grip combination, whether cheap or expensive.

But the impact in terms of “ feel" is relative. The heavier the camera and lens that you use the less you would notice the extra weight.

I’ve just tried to make sure. My X-T1 and the 12mm Samyang with and without the grip. 

The feel in terms of weight is just a bit heavier with the grip in comparison to no grip, but the impression of having the camera securely in my hands is way better with the grip.

Mind you this might happen to me on account of a certain disability which I’ve acquired after my carpal tunnel surgery at both my hands whereby my fingers lost some dexterity, however I’d much rather have the 150gr. extra weight than the feel the camera is not comfortably held by my hands.

The feel in terms of weight is just a bit heavier with the grip in comparison to no grip, but the impression of having the camera securely in my hands is way better with the grip.

Mind you this might happen to me on account of a certain disability which I’ve acquired after my carpal tunnel surgery at both my hands whereby my fingers lost some dexterity, however I’d much rather have the 150gr. extra weight than the feel the camera is not comfortably held by my hands.

Honestly, though it may play some role, I don't think it's about your "disability": it's objectively more ergonomic. I have used heavy lenses (e.g. the 50-140mm, Samyang 135mm/100mm macro) and it's day and night with the added grip.

For DSLR users (as well as users of cameras with DSLR-like grips, like the A7ii or E-M1), mind you, it's not the same experience ergonomically speaking, since the shutter button remains where it was. It's also not the same as a gripped X-T1 (the weight distribution is different and the battery grip offers a place to rest your pinky finger). Not better or worse, just different. All said, for less than 40 euros (worst case) shipped, it's worth a try for everyone. And even more so for tripod users with Arca plates, of course.

€20 or less in fact, which I am sure is what I paid, because I tend to buy locally things that cost more than that simply because they hit me ( and all of us in the EU) with VAT ( that isn’t too bad because it’s only 21% in the NL) but with a unexplained “ handling through customs “ which courier or post charge you and that you have to pay, cash, at the door, in the case of the postal employees, they won’t even deliver it ( couriers do) and then get the money afterwards!

At the time when I used a Canon 5D Mark II in my studio in Italy a few years back, I remember we had one of those huge grips despite the fact that I used the camera mostly on a tripod ( I did mostly studio work with it and only occasionally  some other things but my business partners did also fashion shots). I am very much happier with the cameras that I have now, but I am no longer working as a photographer anyway.

Yet, the X pro 2 strikes me as another animal and I am quite sure that a grip like the one on a DSLR wouldn’t fit the needs of most users.

Indeed having held the camera played with it and shot a few shots, it is a camera which could be quite comfortably use as is.

I doubt that most users will make a great use of this camera with large telephoto lenses for example.

Once the X-T2 will come to the market I am sure that a number of photographers will stay with the X pro 2 but some others will switch to the X-T2.

As a Really Right Stuff user for a long time, I am just going to get what they have.  I have tried some knock-off L brackets on my other camera bodies over the years, and it's just not worth it when you get a poorly-made one.  If someone finds a good one and posts it here, I'd be willing to try again.  

I have been a RRS customer for years but they failed with the X-E2 L bracket. There is no room for a remote cable if you want to mount the camera in vertical without it being way off center (which then makes it worthless for panos). My discussions with their support staff were extremely unsatisfactory and I doubt I will be buying from them again,

Which cable/connector/function was blocked? I bought a used XE2 with the RSS grip that allows for one more piece to make the grip into an "L". Always thought I might get that final piece... For Panos as you wanted. So I'd have to shoot with a old physical shutter release cord, right? What about control with my smartphone?