Iridient Developer is the best RAW processor for Fuji X sensor

I do love Iridient!  Unfortunately, it takes me out of my Lightroom workflow, and when reviewing thousands of images at a time it's hard to leave LR.  With that being said I despise Adobe in all it's flavors!  Hate and abhor them.  If they ever go to the pay as you go model with LR, I'm out.  I will definitely use Iridient, and Affinity a bit more, maybe the photo mechanics app as well.  I don't know.  

I do use ID as an external editor from within LR, but only sparingly go to it for images I feel can be made better.

I don't like the subscription model either, but I still use Lightroom as a standalone. I recently updated from LR5 to the latest version so I could open XP2 raw files but only after three webchats with Adobe. The £50 upgrade wasn't advertised anywhere on their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Warwick,

Like you (and many), I'm a longtime LR user who still uses my standalone LR Version 5.7, so your comment intrigues me. This version will open the RAF files from my X100T, but not my the RAWs from my (new) XPro2. Are you saying that there is an unadvertised version beyond LR 5.7 that can open XPro2 RAWs? And what is its version #?

Thanks very much!!

Yes, I have a standalone version of LR6.5 which handles raw files from my XPro2 just fine. It cost me £50 to upgrade from version 5, but I had to get in touch with Adobe to find out about it. I can't see it listed anywhere on their site - they seem to want everyone to pay a subscription, which makes it much more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used Lightroom for quite a few years, but thanks to Adobe trying to force everyone in their cloud subscription model, I am now in the process of switching to CaptureOne Pro 9.

Lightroom's interface and library functions are very nice, but it is certainly not very good for developing Fuji files (at least up to 5.7). Also, I refuse to pay for an update to 6.x (the stand alone version is very well hidden on their site), which to me is basically a minor update and a bug fix (speed). So goodbye Adobe. And I still haven't forgiven them buying the vastly superior Pixmantec RawShooter and taking it off the market before launching Lightroom 1.

I like the colors of Capture One a LOT. Iridient is amazing in the detail field, but requires more attention to color and has no library function at all. The combination of both should be more than enough, so I am not very interested in spending time on even more alternatives (Raw Therapy, Photo Ninja).

Basically I think Fuji jpg's are good enough most of the time, with the occasional need for tweaking beyond the capabilities of jpg. So I shoot jpg + RAW and I wish there was a good way of sorting out images and simultaneously deleting both RAW and jpg.

Whilst spending only half an hour or so on Silkypix, I think it is way too frustrating.

Now, there is one weird thing about Fuji jpg's, call me crazy if you will: they look stunning to me (YMMV) when displayed full screen on my older 27" Mac Retina (the sRGB version). Only when pixel peeping at level 1 (100%) the detail disappoints (sharpening +2 X-E1). It is amazing what Iridient can do regarding fine detail, just tried it with my new 35mm f2 toy. Rest assured, I never pixel peep at level 2 (200%) or 3 (300 %).

All I have to do now is migrate my Lightroom catalog, play around with the Fuji profiles somewhere on this forum and hope that Phase One and Fuji finally become good friends, just in case I might buy an X-T2 somewhere in the next half year :-)

For those who are using aperture...I'm not sure can I still trust a discontinued software to handle current files especially RAW from the newer cameras? I hate to let go of aperture as well but I switch to LR a year ago and didn't really like it. I'm really thinking of switching it back to Aperture or Iridient.

I really wish I didn't like the results of Iridient Developer as much as I do, as it has now taken me down the path of a more inefficient workflow to obtain the best results. At first I was happy with the results from the latest version of LR (and for the most part I am) but even now, as soon as there is a lot of grass / foliage in view, LR just cannot cope, and the watercolour/smeary texture returns.  I have tried the past advice of putting the detail slider to 100, and then adjusting the amount, and although it does seem to help compared the the 'regular' sharpening, it is still quite bad. 

I think I am going to be happy with the IQ in Lightroom for 80% of my images, and for those that i'm not, I will have to adapt the slightly inefficient workflow of taking them into Iridient Developer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Iridient's results in my opinion are the best out there, what kills it for me is the slow image loading. In LR you can quickly sort through hundreds of images and they load quickly without any lag. I just don't understand why Iridient can't improve this aspect, some kind of background processing so when you want to load an image it just pops up like its supposed to. May be its just me but I gave up using Iridient because of that.

• 2 weeks later...