Change Shutter / Aperture with dials

jmo

Hello everyone!

A small question from Holland;

I use a Nikon d300s and shoot in manual mode. With my thumb i choose shutter and with my indexfinger i choose aperture.

Is it possible to choose aperture and shutter with both front and back dial on the X-T1 with any given lens?

kind regards,

Joost

Hello everyone!

A small question from Holland;

I use a Nikon d300s and shoot in manual mode. With my thumb i choose shutter and with my indexfinger i choose aperture.

Is it possible to choose aperture and shutter with both front and back dial on the X-T1 with any given lens?

kind regards,

Joost

Hi Joost

on the XT-10 (do not have a T1) , if you set the shutter speed dial to T, the front dial, can be used to change the shutterspeed from 30 seconds to 1/4000 (using mechanical shutter (and 1/32000 using electronic).

The rear dial, is used to change aperture in 1/3 stops on XC and XF27 lenses, other lenses have an aperture ring on the lens

I believe that is correct

I can not find an option to enable that, there is a greyed out aperture option in the menu; I suspect it is greyed out as I have a lens with aperture ring attached, and at the minute I do not have with me a lens without an aperture ring to test.

TBH I prefer having an aperture ring on the lens it is very easy to adjust.

On Fuji XT-10 I can alter all exposure settings in seconds, (I have iso bound to a function button as it does not have a dial) 

This took ages when I had a sony navigating menus, I'd never go back to a menu system after the 2 minutes it took to convert me to Fuji

On the XT-10, if you use the top dial to set a shutter speed of say for example 1/500, you can use the front dial to lower or raise the shutter speed in increments toward the next top dial setting. So at the 1/500 setting rolling it one way will raise it to 640 and the other way will lower it to 400.

HTH.

[...]when i use the 18-135mm i have to set the aperture on the lens and i am not be able to do that with a dial?

[...]I can not find an option to enable that, there is a greyed out aperture option in the menu;[...]

Small correction, you can use the back dial for the aperture for any Fuji lens, BUT you have to set the aperture to Automatic at first, and then you can use the back dial to change the settings.

If your X-T1 is on FW4.1 and above, you can use the T speed on the dial and change the speed like Tikcus confirmed on above post.

This is about as close as it can get for Canikon users :]

Small correction, you can use the back dial for the aperture for any Fuji lens, BUT you have to set the aperture to Automatic at first, and then you can use the back dial to change the settings.

I can not make this work on XT-10 (I can not speak for XT-1) , if it is possible there must be another setting that requires changing.

I tested with XF18 F/2 lens

Aperture set to A on lens

Aperture option in menu remained greyed out

Quality RAW+JPEG  

If your X-T1 is on FW4.1 and above, you can use the T speed on the dial and change the speed like Tikcus confirmed on above post.

This is about as close as it can get for Canikon users :]

darknj may you apologize me, but just for the sake of information precision, I would say:

Aperture in "A", shutter speed (SS) in "T", and ISO in "A":

camera in "S" mode (shutter priority), front command dial (fcd) changes SS (you can only see the SS value on camera display; aperture value appears only after

half-pressing the shutter button).

Aperture in "A", SS in "T", and ISO not in "A":

camera still in "S" mode, and, as before, fcd changes SS but this time you can see the SS and the aperture value (that changes following the SS change, for best

exposition possible) on camera display.

Aperture in "A", SS in "A", and ISO not in "A":

camera in "P" mode (program mode), and now, finally, the fcd changes the SS value and the rcd changes the aperture value.

I hope this helps.

darknj may you apologize me, but just for the sake of information precision, I would say:

Aperture in "A", shutter speed (SS) in "T", and ISO in "A":

camera in "S" mode (shutter priority), front command dial (fcd) changes SS (you can only see the SS value on camera display; aperture value appears only after

half-pressing the shutter button).

Aperture in "A", SS in "T", and ISO not in "A":

camera still in "S" mode, and, as before, fcd changes SS but this time you can see the SS and the aperture value (that changes following the SS change, for best

exposition possible) on camera display.

Aperture in "A", SS in "A", and ISO not in "A":

camera in "P" mode (program mode), and now, finally, the fcd changes the SS value and the rcd changes the aperture value.

I hope this helps.

in P mode the front and rear deals do exactly the same thing, they both shift the SS and A to maintain the metered exposure (DR has to be set to anything but auto, for P mode to work), you can not alter either the shutter speed or the aperture independently of each other in P mode.

from my testing on lenses with an Aperture ring, at least on the XT-10 the only way to shoot in manual exposure is to set the aperture on the lens, regardless of the mode selected. (even though Fuji manual says rear dial works..)

Edited by Tikcus

in P mode the front and rear deals do exactly the same thing, they both shift the SS and A to maintain the metered exposure (DR has to be set to anything but auto, for P mode to work), you can not alter either the shutter speed or the aperture independently of each other in P mode.

Thanks for correcting, you're right!

Thanks for correcting, you're right!

no problem, if you work out what needs to be changed to allow the aperture to be set by the rear dial, I'm interested to know how (not that I have ever felt the need to use it previously). but since the manual says you can. lol

no problem, if you work out what needs to be changed to allow the aperture to be set by the rear dial, I'm interested to know how (not that I have ever felt the need to use it previously). but since the manual says you can. lol

Well, in the manual I only see it stating that the rear dial sets the aperture only for "lenses with no aperture ring" (page 8), as you already pointed out, XC and XF27 lenses. I think, unfortunately

for who needs, this is not possible for the other lenses. Incidentally, I love changing aperture using the aperture ring!

Not certain about all lenses, but this is possible.

The default X-T1 setting is for the front dial to control the shutter and the rear dial to control aperture.  You can flip this in the setup menu under the button/dial setting. 

I flipped my X-T1 to match my D800.  Front dial controls aperture; rear dial controls shutter speed.

Admittedly on my Fuji I always control aperture by the lens ring.