Punta Cana photo opportunities/suggestions?

iSilentP

Hello everyone.

I am planning a trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in June.  I have done some research to determine if there are any "must vist" locations for capturing memorable images.

If anyone in the group has any suggestions in terms of "If you're going to DC, you must visit xxx".

Typically when I travel to places I've never been before, I find a lot of value in participating in a photography-centered scenic tour. The one's where the guide is a photographer and takes the group to those places that I am seeking to find out about here since there does not appear to be any photographic tours that I've been able to find.

We will be staying at a beach resort. I suspect most of the images will be on the beach, but would like to venture outside of the resort for some either street photography or landscape images.

I have not found any, but if anyone happens to know of any individual or company that runs photo excursions, please provide information. 

Any thoughts, suggestions, or other pointers in terms of safety; places / times to avoid are greatly appreciated.

I am afraid that if you are looking for street photography, you are looking for something that isn’t there, at least not where you are, unless you go to Santo Domingo but even there, the Dominican Republic is not as enticing as other places in that part of the world, in other words it is not Cuba.

You have two national parks nearby and for sure your resort will offer you some excursion where you can see the nature there. There are palms, mangroves, and wetlands with lakes,nice waterfalls, beautiful rivers, and other things like that but you really need to be into wildlife photography and shoot mostly birds or iguanas  if you want to make this a photographic adventure.

For the rest, relatively nearby, there are few and far apart towns with much modern buildings but I I am not sure they are worth the trouble to visit.

Other than that the beach and the sea are very nice but as it often happens, a resort holiday ( I do those too) isn’t the same as traveling around. But Again, the Dominica Republic is no Cuba.

Take a look with google maps, maybe you get a better idea of the place. Have a nice holiday!

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Salvaleón+de+Higüey+23000,+Repubblica+Dominicana/@18.4971698,-68.902037,9z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8ea8b9e714719af5:0x1aba6440788dcaac

• 1 year later...

So iSilentP, have you been to the DR in Punta Cana?

I am going to the RIU bachata in Maimon around Puerto Plata, which is far away from Punta Cana but there you go.

I am aware of the limited opportunities of the DR compared to other Caraibic islands but after enjoying Cuba for what it was I’ve also learned what the country can’t do in terms of hotels and hospitality.

Where did you stay? 

Edited by milandro