Mark II - Zhongyi 35mm 0.95 , smaller and better

yukosteel

Thanks for posting this - I've been watching this thread the last little while. I love fast lenses and have been wishing the Fuji f/1 would come out, but these photos look great. I'll seriously be considering this when I'm ready to make my next purchase.

I think rumored Fuji 33 F1 will be superior lens in overall image quality, just because Fuji has more power to design and make excellent lens.

I'd strongly recommend to buy this ZSM 35mm 0.95 II lens ONLY from the place where you can easily make a return. Just in case : )

I purchased my ZSM sample from one of eBay Hong Kong seller, just because his -9% special, and nice return policy.

When I communicated my concerns, seller replied fast and checked other samples for me, and offered replacement or return.

But finally I realized that everything is fine with my sample, and I very like how it performs.

Slightly asymmetric look of closed aperture blades, it's observed on many samples:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyway, you may have different experience, or just don't like how the lens work for you. This lens is relatively expensive for manual focus type, so will be hard to re-sell.

Once I've purchased used SLR Magic 50mm 0.95 for about $950, and sold it in about year, just because it's too specific lens with very low interest to it on the market.

This ZSM is more interesting, it's smaller, lighter, much easier to use. It's sharp in the center, even wide open.

But this lens is not as perfect in corners like its equivalent 'Nikkor 50mm 1.4 on FF sensor'.

Many of you have Fuji XF 18-55mm lens.

It's just slightly bigger than ZSM 35mm (Fuji: 65 x 70mm vs ZSM: 63 x 60mm), and about 150 g. lighter (Fuji: 310 g. vs ZSM: 460 g.)

Yes, aperture module usually requires very high precision. I'm not very surprised that ZSM has slight misalignment there. Looks like the part which I'd call "aperture decal" probably has microscopic shifts in guideline cuts. Because of that blades are not perfectly centered.

If you look closer on ZSM body there are many imperfections. E.g. paint is not 100% accurately applied to engravings, DOF scale is not symmetric, aperture ring texture is not finely sanded before applying paint. That are still things Zhongyi can improve. And that minor defects are negligible comparing to overall lens performance.

I don't think that slight misalignment makes any difference on wide open aperture range of 0.95-2.8, that's why I don't worry about that.

I'm more curious to see how will mechanics operate after 6 months of extensive use.

Edited by yukosteel

I did some digging around and found some old pics of the Canon FD50 F1.4 I repaired years ago.

I notice that the iris isn't perfectly aligned either. I suspect that the brass spindle has some free play when set into it's corresponding sockets. It can't be too tight as these things need to move relatively quickly.

Will probably take a closer look at other xf lenses but I suspect that it really doesn't affect the pic very much......so I'd probably won't worry about it much. :)

Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to see different aperture designs.

I've repaired once aperture for Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, it also has 9 blades as ZSM 35mm, and I'm wondered if it also has similar guiding cuts.

I assume that one of that cut is not perfectly positioned (and other ZSM 35mm have same part), so corresponding single aperture blade is moving slightly different.

It can be other mechanical design, because ZSM aperture does not require instant close-open operation like in DSLR lens.

I see other Zhongyi lens also have Mark II versions, and also Lens Turbo II adapter has improved quality. It's great they keep working on making better and more competitive optics.

I like improved sharpness of this ZSM 35mm mk-II in the center, it's nice to use it for cropped shots when needed instead of switching to 50mm or 140mm lens. E.g. I wanted to catch this scene with more narrow angle, and just stopped down to f2.8 and later cropped to 50mm and 140mm correspondingly:

35mm:

50mm:

140mm (100% crop):

Edited by yukosteel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

thanks very much for this topic and all the samples and reviews, especially to you, yukosteel!

I just received my copy of the version II of this lens. Unfortunately the aperture blades are VERY asymetric... So I contacted the online shop (www.eglobalcentral.de) to return it and get a new one. Let's see what they say, hope they will send me a better one.

I have some samples attached, and I'm interested to hear your opionion!

So far the lens works good, but you can clearly see the asymmetric aperture blades in the bokeh..

30513324003_2bd6546771_b.jpgMitakon Speedmaster 35mm f/0.95 ver II by Fabian J., auf Flickr

31320702515_f7fa733f47_b.jpgMitakon Speedmaster 35mm f/0.95 ver II by Fabian J., auf Flickr

Bokeh sample:

31320695445_fd9880590d_b.jpgMitakon Speedmaster 35mm f/0.95 ver II by Fabian J., auf Flickr

and just fur fun, the 23mm1.4:

31284607846_c4b0c4a1e8_b.jpg23mm 1.4 sample by Fabian J., auf Flickr

thanks for your replies!

2CV6, it's a definitely factory defect, seller should accept return for 100% refund, and it's not questionable what they decide.

If it's eBay, you simply open a case with attached pictures.

I see that only 8 aperture blades are found on your lens sample.

In fact this lens should have 9 aperture blades, you can see that from pictures of my lens sample, and from "bokeh" shape.

It looks like 2 aperture blades have broken connections inside, and don't move properly. This is definitely a defect.

I use my lens quite often, and hear noise when shaking it with open aperture - it means that blades are a bit loose, but they close\open fine.

One precaution to remember - with large size aperture blades and big count of them, never change aperture too quick. It may break one or few blades.

However if you received lens like that - it's factory defect.

BTW, I've partially disassembled my Mitakon II 35 0.95 week ago.

I didn't discover yet how to move further with disassembly to reach aperture area, so assembled it back.

Few observations:

Parts inside look a bit unfinished, with sharp edges and metal cut signs.

Mount ring is heavy. Looks like it's brass alloy inside. It's secured with 3 long but thin screws.

Rear lens is firmly attached to the lens mount ring, even some glue is used.

Outer helicoid part made of quite thick aluminum.

Black ring with DOF scale can be put in any position, so if your sample has it rotated, it's easy to put the ring back.

Edited by yukosteel

Thanks very much for your replies!

Respect, did you disassemble it just for fun? :-)

My lens came already with this issue. I can count 9 aperture blades but one is really odd...

I'm still in concact with the shop, but I agree that they have to return it.

Handling is kind of strange because it behaves opposite to the Fuji lenses. I knew that the aperture ring is on the front but also the focus ring works in the opposite direction. Not a big issue but i have to get used to it. I'm a bit dissappointed that the 0.95 doesn't make a big differerence compared to 1.4 on the 23mm and I am thinking about whether the Fuji 35 1.4 is a better option for me...

Here is a sample shot with the mitakon @ 0.95 1/60, ISO 2500

https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/ZUYqcoI4vp65lhCv5UKxqc3VIpvASWyKbbzI5TqBrei?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

and here is the 23mm 1.4 @ 1.4 1/60 ISO 3200

https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/v8M4Ta34u5gMeNkxNSMxj8lKln4VtplHsR1d57dycBR?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Thanks for your advice. I will return it, and once they checked it they will send me a new one. I decided to keep this lens, did some shooting the last days and it is fun to use, my Manual focusing skills grow and the Focus ring is very good to use. Just received the samyang 12mm, also great but the focus ring is very stiff...

....which is an wideangle like the 12mm, believe me, is a G-D given gift because it would easily go meters away if it would be loose. I often shoot with the 12mm at hyperfocal distance with f8 and I am confident that I don’t have to refocus because the lens holds the focus even if I touch it by mistake. If this wouldn’t be the case it would result in many out of focus shots which you would only notice when you see them on your computer.

Edited by milandro

Yeah I agree. You dont have to change the focus that often. But when, I found it very hard to focus precisely on friends setting opposite to me with the samyang at f2 in a dark Restaurant last weekend (not because of the stiff ring but with checking the focus peaking on the evf/LCD). Guess it is best used outdoors with smaller apertures, it will have its time on a england trip next year...

But back to the Mitakon, I will post some more once I received a good working sample..

of course I cannot judge, from here where I am sitting, how difficult to change focus would be with your copy of this lens.  I can change mine at will and easily. I have been brought up on native manual focus lenses which were always inherently harder to focus than the option for manual focussing offered from native autofocus lenses.

Mileage, might, for this reason, vary among different users. I had long a go a 17mm Tokina in Nikon mount, which offered also a rather firm focussing and which I also liked for its firmness and the result. I have used also a 15mm Takumar but I can no longer remember how it felt focussing.

to yukosteel:

so you say there are a combination of metals as you disassembled the lens. they usually react differently to a temperature change. does the focusing part still rotate smoothly if you take it from warmed up room 25°C to freezing cold environment outside, say around -10°C? thank you for any hints.

I'll put it to the fridge today, to test that : ) From what I see there is a lot of grease, and all helicoid parts look like made of aluminum or aluminum alloy.

I think they should work fine in cold conditions.

BTW, saying about loose/stiff focus ring on 12mm. It reminds me again that aperture ring is very loose on my ZSM sample. It has same surface as focus ring, so I often accidentally touch it and rotating instead of focus. I'd be happy to have it very stiff out of the box, or have "clicks" there.

As a workaround I simply put wide rubber ring (piece cut from bicycle tire pipe), so the rubber ring border firmly grips aperture ring, and it rotates with more effort now : )

Frozen to about -20 Celsius, this ZSM 35mm has more stiff focus ring rotation, however it's large diameter keeps it still comfort enough.

What I liked is the aperture ring stiffness - it is rotating like focus ring in normal room temperature.

NOTE: if you decide to repeat such fridge experiment with any lens, make sure it's packed in ziplock first with minimum of air inside. I did so to prevent condensing moisture on lens surfaces and body (and possibly inner glass), and only unlocked plastic bag after lens warmed up to room temperature.