Xpro-2 and Leica & Zeiss ZM lenses

I tried some shots this evening just after sunset with the CZ Contax G 45mm f2 & Leica M 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH.

These pics really don't tell you too much, I'll shoot some in better light tomorrow and post.

I like the way both lenses handle on the X-Pro2. I find the enlarged manual focus display in the EVF much superior when compared

to the X-Pro1.

X-Pro2 & Contax G 45mm f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mike K

X-Pro2 & Leica M 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH

I'm using both Leica and voigtlander m-mount lenses on my XP2 with a fotodiox adaptor and loving the combination.

Here are some images taken on this flat grey afternoon, all shot at f2, OOC Jpegs no PP:

X-Pro2: 

#1. Fuji 56mm f1.2

#2. Leica 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH 

#3. CZ Contax G 45mm f2

Edited by Mike K

Fuji 56mm f1.2

Leica 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH 

CZ Contax G 45mm f2

Having looked at the full size images, all shot at f2- in my view, on the X-Pro2 the Fuji 56mm outperforms the Leica 50mm ASPH & the Contax Zeiss 45mm.

The Contax comes a close second after the Fuji in terms of overall image quality and detail. 

In the close up crops above have a look at the man in the green jacket on the left, and compare the detail and sharpness on his face, tie and jacket.

Edited by Mike K

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have tried many VC and Leica lenses (and other mounts too) adapted to all sorts of X camera over my ownership history.  The constant reminder for me is:

native lenses only!! 

I have 50 and 35 lux and I just dont like them on the xpro2.  I would never suggest someone buy Leica glass to use just for adapting purposes, if you already have them then experiment, but there are plenty of other adaptable mounts that will give similar results on the Xpro2 if you want to dabble.  I have also found that EVF and peaking with manual lenses is no longer something I enjoy (but that is the rangefinder fanboy speaking).

The only mirrorless that does leica lenses well is the.... Leica SL....I bought one and sold it.

If you can find lenses for under say $150 to play with or to get a vintage or classic look, that's fine.  For the money, the X prime set of 23, 25, 50 cannot be beat with any adapted lens. 

I would experiment with M42 more than anything M mount.  Buy 1-3 cheap Helios 44 or takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 and have fun!

Just from the examples the 50 lux will never look 4x better than the 56mm (but it's 4x the cost!).

Xpro2 with Leica Summicron-M 50/2

SOOC with a small cropping

It did a good job  ;)

On this note this is what I am experiencing: Love my X-Pro2 with XF2.0/35 R WR and a recently purchased (February 2018) XF 18-55 F 2.8-4 R lenses as well as my Leica M mount lenses via Fujifilm adapter. Light walk around and travel kit. It is not a fair comparison M lenses on my Leica SL and a Leica SL 24-90 are in a different category due to the full frame size of sensor. As said and proven in many a test before native lenses perform best with given camera bodies due to software adjustments. But I would rather judge photograph on its content than some luck of micro contrast or vignetting. 

• 2 years later...