New X-T1 Buyer. Needs Lens Recommendations

Jaypoc

I am going to see if any of the stores near me have them in stock to try them out. Im also about an hour from B&H and they have units out you can test.

As for the 16-55, its bigger, heavier and more expensive than the 18-55. I prefer something smaller as long as there's no major sacrifice in IQ and most reviews i read imply the smaller lens is quite good.

You are of course right prefering something smaller. However the image quality is significantly better and you also get the 16mm. 16 mm versus 18mm (24mm vs. 28mm on FF) is for me still a big step. I have the 18-55 and 16-55 but I never use the 18-55mm anymore.

Bye the way, there is not much image quality difference between the 16mm and the 16-55mm from f/4 onwards. In some aspects the 16-55 mm @16mm is even better!

My proposal: get the 16-55 and the 50-140.

Edited by JaapD

That is close to my bag - though I sold my 18-55 when I sold my XE1 to a friend.  I replaced it with the 35 1.4.   I also have the 100-400 + 1.4x TC, cause I live in the Black Hills of SD in a wildlife hot spot and I really needed the reach.

Edited by sgmcenroe

• 3 weeks later...

For me, 10-24, 16, 35,56,100-400,18-135. I have the X-T1 and lots of big expensive, cameras and glass from Canon.

I just got the 50-140 and am going to take that and my 1Dx with the 70-200 f2.8 II to shoot both to just compare what if anything I'm loosing. Yes big difference in price, but I just love that Fuji. Can't wait for X-T2

I'm a Canon shooter, but I'm looking to invest in a smaller, "every-day" camera. I've picked the X-T1 and would like some recommendations on lenses from people who have used them. I'm specifically looking for quality and sharpness and versatility. I'm curious if anybody would recommend other lenses over the one's I've picked:

Primes:

• XF 14mm f/2.8 R (for landscapes, real estate interiors)
  • XF 27mm f/2.8 (love the small size, For general walk-around, street photography)
  • XF 56mm f/1.2 R (for portraits and street photography)

Zooms:

• XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS (comfort zone, low price, small footprint. Probably my go-to lens everyday lens)
  • XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR (I love my long zooms for festivals, concerts, portraits, etc..). Need to have one in my kit.

I currently shoot with a 5D Mark III with a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-300 f/4-5.6. I love my Canon gear, but it's too big and heavy to use for casual/daily use. I currently shoot mostly portraits and events (conventions, festivals and retail events) but am starting to get into real estate as well.

It looks like you know what you want as those are all great choices. The 56 isn't as fast as some of the others but people really love it! I used the 90 for portraits and was simply blown away! I'm not a big portrait photographer but I can testify to it's IQ. That being said, your 50-140 would replace the need for the 90.

18-55 although a 'kit lens' is damn sharp. Again, I've never been one to blame the lens for issues as it's usually me!

I rented the 27mm and although I liked it's size, I found that I had to get too close to people which isn't my comfort area. That's why I chose the 35.

I was reading a few reviews about the 10-24 and they all said that they were sharper than the 14. Again, that comes down to whether or not you prefer prime over xoom.

Either way, I've never read a bad review (except the 60mm Macro) on any of the fuji lenses so it doesn't come down to qualtiy but rather the choice of length you want.

Good luck!