X-Pro2 initial bug report

I'm noticing that reports of the reset issue have been practically eliminated with the firmware update, so I'm moving it to the "solved" category.

Feedback from my national Fuji dealer is that the turn-on/off issue should be handled by the FU too, but there may be a connection to production batches, can't be 100% certain yet.

Since I have my own X-Pro2 now, I'm going to be carefully evaluating for reported bugs. My very limited experience (only had it for a couple of days) is this:

I used the camera for one full evening of shooting moving as well as subjects, coupled with the 50-140mm f/2.8. In many cases I used continuous wide tracking mode with high speed burst. Although the weather was quite warm, I noticed no significant temperature increase; no more than with the X-E2/X-T1 or, in fact, any other mirrorless camera I've used. Will continue to report on this and other issues.

I've had my Xpro 2 for couple days. And it went dead after 1 hour usage. Around 150 shots. Its overheat and then showed white screen and then black screen and nothing I could do about it. No button worked, not even the on off button ... still showing black screen even after i turned off the camera (cannot be turned off). Tried to change the lens and battery, its still showing black screen.

I returned it back to Fujifilm for replacement last week.

Anyone has the same problem ?

Should buy or should I wait a while before I buy fuji x Pro2 

Don't come to the forums looking for this advice.  Forums are notorious for people flocking to them to bitch about the product due to some issue (which is understandable).  But for 1000 that work OK, the couple that don't will be on the forum complaining, which gives the appearance that most are having the same issue.  Follow another forum for another digital product and you'll see people complaining all over.  It is something about forums.  People turn to them when they have a problem, so they are ripe with problems.

Buy your product from a reputable dealer and review their support and product warranty so that should you be among the minority, you know what to do.

.... just my 2 cents on approx 20 years of following forums on products that interest me (cars, model aircraft, computer hardware, TV, camera, etc).  In general, I have found this forum to be very good.  Nice people that want to help.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Hey all,

I observed the "turn camera on/off" situation yesterday for the first time after about 1k frames - same as mentioned by others: "stuck" shutter and message. Only once and not anymore since then (I am at about 200 frames after the first/last incident). 

Having read all the report etc I was wondering whether this in any way could potentially be related to the power system of the camera and the batteries. It seems like most people that reported the issues are "power users" and are likely using spare batteries (potentially mostly 3rd party? it seems impossible in the US to get Fuji spares hence my guess) and potentially run the camera in high performance mode? Could it be that the non-Fuji batteries cannot sustain enough output to drive all components, in particular the shutter under load? I tried to replicate the error myself but couldn't. Interested in hearing more from those that see it more frequently whether it might depend on the power mode + battery? Also, is it confirmed that in ES mode the problem is non-existent?

Having read all the report etc I was wondering whether this in any way could potentially be related to the power system of the camera and the batteries.

Yes, you may be on something there.

This is my report on the "warming" issue I just published on my blog. Would appreciate any comments from all members on this:

http://www.eyesuncloudedphoto.com/blog/2016/4/28/my-big-fat-x-pro2-heat-issue-report

I've been through three X-Pro2's with various issues.  The turn off/on being the most common while shooting and I finally gave up and elected a refund.  The WiFi issues to Instax and locking up the camera to the point of having to remove the battery occurred on all.  The final one, rattled off 4 shots it, camera locked up, no error, would not shut off.  Had to remove the battery.  Decided this camera is not yet worthy of the Pro in the name.  I do hope it is firmware... And no, I do not think the battery is the issue.  I used a Fujifilm battery exclusively in two of the three X-Pro2's I had.

All the while I contacted Fujifilm New Jersey U.S.A. and they were respectful and understood.  The last thing he said to me is Fujifilm Japan was aware of the issues, but nothing since.  I can't recall where, but someone said firmware was coming (facebook or other forum), but I am not convinced it is firmware.  I tend to think there may be a problem with the shutter mechanism, mainly because one of the Steve's at Fujifilm NJ mumbled it and I picked up on it.  He just said it was possible, but he did not know for sure.  I figured the third one would be the charm.

I desire the 1/250th sync speed, the 1/8000 mechanical shutter, and I do believe Fujifilm will address the issues.  I will try again in the coming months and watch these forums to see if the chatter dies.  I sold one of my 5D Mark III bodies to pre-order the X-Pro2 and that would have had me set with two bodies on the Fuji-X system and I would have been content.  I ended up picking up an X-Pro1 to compliment my X-T1 and WOW has it improved since I first handled one... and it was a great price.  When you consider what it goes for now, it is a steal of a deal.

Day after I received it, took it to a portrait session for a prom party and pretty much used the X-Pro1 for 80% of the shots with the 35 F1.4... Used some off camera flash and it was killer.  Paid for itself that night and some.  I did not RTM first, but it only took a minute for me to figure out I had to use the D-pad and not the rear dial to adjust the shutter in 1/3 stops.  This will be fine until the X-Pro2 issues get resolved... and I will not part ways with the old X-Pro1.  Glad I was late to that party.

[...] I ended up picking up an X-Pro1 to compliment my X-T1 and WOW has it improved since I first handled one... and it was a great price.  When you consider what it goes for now, it is a steal of a deal. [...]

I've been waiting to accumulate some money for the X-Pro2, and now I'm also stalling because of these issues. You're making me think about going back to the future. Thanks.  Hmmmm....

I can confirm the WiFi-lockup.

The shutter button is a bit wobbly, but for me it's no big issue.

IMHO the slight misalignment between focus square and ERF and the bright line which are a bit off target on the correct parallax compensationn are more annoying.

Another new bug is that after switching the magnification of the OVF manually (by long-moving the viewfinder selector lever to the right), the magnification stops to be switched automatically, it would make more sense to me if this would be reset after a lens change or if this setting would be per lens.

One more thing: add an option to  use 24h instead of 12h/am/pm

Edited by ggsa

As posted in another thread.

I have experienced 5-6 times " turn off the camera and turn it back on" message since last Friday. Before this message, it feels like the shutter stuck somehow. The lens is 18-55. Not sure if it's the camera or the lens. Still testing, might need to send for repair.

Same problem, same 18-55 lens. No problem with 56mm or 50-140mm.

I've had my camera for a couple of months and have experiences the turn off/on message twice. It happened twice in about 10 minutes and was the same afternoon i applied the 1.01 firmware update. I haven't had it happen before that or since. 

I found a few problems while i was messing around with the Camera Remote app (detailed here). Seems like from this thread though that wifi use in general is a little brittle.

Battery life isn't great. Here's what i do to fix it: I pretend i'm shooting rolls of 35mm film and i change the battery every 10 rolls or so. It's so much easier and faster than changing rolls of film, and i could never carry 50 rolls of film as easily as i can carry 5 batteries  :D

That's it though. I'm really pleased with this camera.

• 5 weeks later...

X-PRO 2 After 2 weeks use

Started off using the camera with FW1.01 so I've never experienced the original firmware. I've shot it using the 35mm f2, 23mm, 14mm, 16mm and 90mm and logged about 800 shots so far. I use the camera mainly with the OVF, Single AF and on high performance. Raw in SD1 (USH-II) and Jpeg in SD2 (USH-I). Overall, not without hiccups but not enough for me to return the camera. I still love using it and it makes me want to go out and shoot.

- No Settings Reset Issue

- Experienced turn on/off issue once

I accidentally was trying to shoot with the lens cap on, camera did not like that as it would hang up trying to write to card. I turned the camera off and then back on, remove lens cap and I was good to go.

- Had a few black frames (user error)

Again, being a completely noob with this rangefinder. I'm quite sure it was from shooting with the lens cap on. I'm used to shooting with the XT1 and dslrs so the OVF is still new to me. The reason I know it was the lens cap is because I know I made this mistake a few times. I would delete the photo, but it would only delete the raw. Later when I look at the jpegs I would see a black frame here and there (~3 so far). Not saying this is the case for everybody, but I'm just admitting my inexperience with this rangefinder format. Outside of the lens cap, I haven't gotten any black frames–even when I tried using burst mode.

- Wobbly shutter button

I have a soft shutter release button and this does annoy me. Especially when I spent money on a nice one from Artisan Obscura only for it to feel loose and cheap.

- Slower AF

I've only used the camera on High Performance and sometimes it has trouble locking AF indoors. It does have moments when it locks AF very fast and on par with the XT1, but the majority of the time it's slower than my XT1.

- Heating Issue

I've only used Wasabi brand after market batteries and I do notice the camera gets warm in my hand. Not uncomfortable hot, just warm enough for me to notice. I'm wondering if it's cause of the aftermarket batteries. I will use only the Fujifilm original battery from now on to see if there's a difference. Anyone else having this issue that's using only OEM batteries?

- EVF color cast

I definitely agree with a comment in this thread that the colors of the EVF in default setting and AWB not being as realistic as the XT1. I believe it is being more truthful to the film simulation and end jpeg result and not the actual scene—whereas I think the XT1's EVF priority was to be more life like. I know that film simulation, wb and highlight/shadow tones settings affect both EVF, it just seems to affect the XPRO2 more and I haven't found a setting combination that makes the XPRO2 evf life-like.

Your issue #1 is normal behaviour of the camera if you shoot long exposures with the "long exposure mode" on as the camera locks up during its dark-frame exposure before writing to the card. With a 10s exposure, the dark frame exposure will be 10s too, and if you don't know this, it seems like the camera has locked up.

Black frames: No comments.  ;) 

Wobbly shutter button: Mine is too, at least much more wobbly than the shutter on the X-Pro1. A bit annoying. And while we're at it. The dioptric adjustment button is wobbly/loose too and the adjustment is often knocked off when I just grab the camera. This button is a design error - What I really is replaceable dioptric lenses as on the X-Pro1!

Slower AF: I run my camera in "Normal mode", not "Hi perf" and I would say that it is on par with as I remember my X-T1 in most situations. I often use my X-Pro1 in combination with the X-Pro2 to avoid switching lenses in dusty conditions (doing some urbex photography) and yes, the X-Pro1 is sluggish in comparison to the X-Pro2.

Heating issue: Happened once while the camera was just a few hours old in my hands. The camera felt warm, so I turned it off and. It had lost all settings when I turned it on again. Fuji said that this is related to that the internal back-up battery has not reached nominal charge yet and advised to leave the camera off with a fully charged battery inserted for some hours to allow the back-up battery to charge. Since then the camera has worked flawlessly,

EVF color cast: I never noticed the blue cast until reading your post, but then I have assigned the "preview effect on/off" to the movie record button and is usually using the camera with this setting off. Also, if I don't remember wrong, the color balance of both the EVF and the LCD can be adjusted via the menus. I don't have the camera in front of me so I cannot verify this just now.

;-D Hans

Edited by Hans K Aspenberg

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my X-PRO2 just under a week and it has reset about half a dozen times. I have installed the new firmware and I have just let it sit on a fresh battery for 24 hours. I have yet to read of a fix or haven't found one... if anyone can shed some light on what to do next. Fortunately I live about an hour from FUJI in New Jersey... Love the camera but hate the reset.

• 3 weeks later...

Another new bug is that after switching the magnification of the OVF manually (by long-moving the viewfinder selector lever to the right), the magnification stops to be switched automatically, it would make more sense to me if this would be reset after a lens change or if this setting would be per lens.

Apologies is this has been mentioned already... Other than by ggsa above...

OVF Magnification (ie the magnification it uses for the 18mm Vs say the 60)

If you manually force it to use the magnification that it wouldn't normally use with a given lens

Then it will no longer automatically select the correct magnification from then on...

or at least my example does that!

The fix: (a workaround really)

With the camera off, mount a lens, but DON'T 100% rotate it into the bayonet. (ie stop just before the click)

Turn the camera on

Camera should display a "F0" lens mount error (which is correct - the lens is not properly mounted)

With the camera still turned on - rotate the lens into the correctly mounted position. (so that it clicks)

After this OVF automatic magnification works and (so far) continues to work!

You could of course just do a complete lens swap with the camera turned on - but don't 'cos that's a great way to attract dirt onto your sensor :)

I SUSPECT a complete reset would also resolve it... but I didn't try, I've just about got it set up as I want it, I don't want to start over!