X-Pro2 initial bug report

Waiting for clarity about on-off malfunction is making me crazy. I have already sent mine back to B&H for exhibiting the reset and on-off problems. Never got as far as trying my Instax printer. I keep hoping they are close (days?) to isolating serial numbers that are safe to buy. I cannot use an XPro2 in a paid shoot with that hanging over me.

Edited by jonathan7007

So the new camera just exhibited the reset bug (I haven't patched it yet).

All of a sudden it was speaking Danish to me. Had a good time trying to find the language menu setting :)

You get your camera replace?

I'm not lucky as you are, fujifilm france aren't going to make me an exchange judging where it goes... Still not have any news from them...

Today is the first full days I've had the X-Pro2... I'm loving the handling of the camera. However the EVF is quite bluish. It looks awful compared to my X-T1. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Can you post a photo? My XP2 EVF doesn't look that much different than my XT1's.

Not sure how I could take a photo through the EVF

The XP2 LCD is bright, colorful and looks pretty similar to the X-T1 LCD. I'm looking at them side by side right now.

The X-T1 EVF always looks pretty similar to the X-T1 LCD.

The XP2 EVF looks washed out, no contrast or saturation and also darker and with a distinct bluish cast compared to the XP2 LCD. 

Not sure how I could take a photo through the EVF

The XP2 LCD is bright, colorful and looks pretty similar to the X-T1 LCD. I'm looking at them side by side right now.

The X-T1 EVF always looks pretty similar to the X-T1 LCD.

The XP2 EVF looks washed out, no contrast or saturation and also darker and with a distinct bluish cast compared to the XP2 LCD.

Only thing I can think of is check your EVF BRIGHTNESS. My EVF and LCD looks pretty much the same. You might also check PREVIEW EXP./WB IN MANUAL MODE and PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT, but those last two would also affect your LCD panel.

Only thing I can think of is check your EVF BRIGHTNESS. My EVF and LCD looks pretty much the same. You might also check PREVIEW EXP./WB IN MANUAL MODE and PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT, but those last two would also affect your LCD panel.

EVF Brightness was set to Auto. Setting it to manual (0) helped with it being way too dark sometimes (particularly when previewing images), but did nothing for the bluish cast.

It's hard to imagine this is normal and nobody complained about it. I'm gonna return the camera tomorrow.

EVF Brightness was set to Auto. Setting it to manual (0) helped with it being way too dark sometimes (particularly when previewing images), but did nothing for the bluish cast.

It's hard to imagine this is normal and nobody complained about it. I'm gonna return the camera tomorrow.

One more thing to check, make sure you haven't dialed in a custom white balance.

Getting pretty sad here : (

I'm having issue with getting the hybrid viewfinder working. When I switch to OVF- The tiny EVF doesnt pop up anymore when I push in the lever. Moreover, my Film Bracket is grayed out that is not selectable to pick. I am now past the 30 days for a return. Sigh.

Anyone else with the same problems?

Getting pretty sad here : (

I'm having issue with getting the hybrid viewfinder working. When I switch to OVF- The tiny EVF doesnt pop up anymore when I push in the lever. Moreover, my Film Bracket is grayed out that is not selectable to pick. I am now past the 30 days for a return. Sigh.

Anyone else with the same problems?

Is your AF mode in single point? That's the only time that the hybrid finder will come up. If you have it in zone or wide, it won't come up.

I got my X-Pro2 at the beginning of March and after a month and some shootings I want to share the issues I had before updating the camera with the new firmware. I'm using the camera with these lenses: 35mm f/2, 18-55mm 2,8-4 and 56mm f/1,4

1. Reset settings issue: it happened the same day I bought the camera and after recharging the battery properly no more problems so far

2. "Turn off the camera and turn it back on" message: using the 18-55 F/2,8-4

3. Overheating under various situations: mostly using the 18-55 f/2,8-4

4. Camera unexpectably freezing under random conditions: using the 18-55 f/2,8-4

5. Wi-Fi lock-up: it takes a very long time, it can get disconnected very easily and than no way to reconnect: the camera just doesn't recognize the device anymore (iPhone or Instax printer)

6. AF speed: not that fast compared to my previous XT1. Sometimes it doesn't lock at all even in good light conditions

7. Unexpected and strong underexposure (about 1 or 2 stops under): I was using the EVF and the center weighted metering mode and everything seemed ok even reviewing the images. The problem came up when I opened them in LR. In another thread here some users shared infos about this issue and it seems to be caused by incorrect LR RAW processing when the AUTO DR is on.

About the lenses I use, whilst I did not have any problems with the 35mm f/2 and 56mm f/1,4, all the issues I encountered happened mostly with the 18-55mm, which, by the way, sometimes starts focussing unceasingly and I have to turn the camera off and than on or, when this operation isn't enough, I have to remove the battery.

So fingers crossed until Fuji will release next firmware and Adobe will fix the Fuji RAW processing in LR...  ;)

Is your AF mode in single point? That's the only time that the hybrid finder will come up. If you have it in zone or wide, it won't come up.

OMG thank you so much!!! Yes, you are right it was on zone/wide. I see it now when it's on Single :) Whew!! So happy!!!

I have updated the OP since there are more confirmations of the "turn off/turn on" issue. Every report I've seen so far speaks of a hardware cause.

All people that have updated to the latest firmware, please confirm that the reset feature has been solved, so we can move it to the "fixed" section. Also please check if other "minor" issues such as occassional overheating have been solved or decreased.

Thanks all!

Hi, 

just back from a short trip, took about 1000 frames & these are the bugs I encountered (FW1.01):

1. Sometimes picture playback is waaay shorter than 1.5s (as set up). I see a flash and then — boom, I’m back in the OVF without the chance to see the picture.
  2. One picture that was taken into the evening light showed a strange pattern (see also this thread on Fuji x Forum: http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x-pro2-strange-effect-in-a-heavily-back-lit-shot.54047)
  3. Wireless control via app on iPod/iPad locks up after some pictures

Frans

X-PRO 2 After 2 weeks use

Started off using the camera with FW1.01 so I've never experienced the original firmware. I've shot it using the 35mm f2, 23mm, 14mm, 16mm and 90mm and logged about 800 shots so far. I use the camera mainly with the OVF, Single AF and on high performance. Raw in SD1 (USH-II) and Jpeg in SD2 (USH-I). Overall, not without hiccups but not enough for me to return the camera. I still love using it and it makes me want to go out and shoot.

- No Settings Reset Issue

- Experienced turn on/off issue once

I accidentally was trying to shoot with the lens cap on, camera did not like that as it would hang up trying to write to card. I turned the camera off and then back on, remove lens cap and I was good to go.

- Had a few black frames (user error)

Again, being a completely noob with this rangefinder. I'm quite sure it was from shooting with the lens cap on. I'm used to shooting with the XT1 and dslrs so the OVF is still new to me. The reason I know it was the lens cap is because I know I made this mistake a few times. I would delete the photo, but it would only delete the raw. Later when I look at the jpegs I would see a black frame here and there (~3 so far). Not saying this is the case for everybody, but I'm just admitting my inexperience with this rangefinder format. Outside of the lens cap, I haven't gotten any black frames–even when I tried using burst mode.

- Wobbly shutter button

I have a soft shutter release button and this does annoy me. Especially when I spent money on a nice one from Artisan Obscura only for it to feel loose and cheap.

- Slower AF

I've only used the camera on High Performance and sometimes it has trouble locking AF indoors. It does have moments when it locks AF very fast and on par with the XT1, but the majority of the time it's slower than my XT1.

- Heating Issue

I've only used Wasabi brand after market batteries and I do notice the camera gets warm in my hand. Not uncomfortable hot, just warm enough for me to notice. I'm wondering if it's cause of the aftermarket batteries. I will use only the Fujifilm original battery from now on to see if there's a difference. Anyone else having this issue that's using only OEM batteries?

- EVF color cast

I definitely agree with a comment in this thread that the colors of the EVF in default setting and AWB not being as realistic as the XT1. I believe it is being more truthful to the film simulation and end jpeg result and not the actual scene—whereas I think the XT1's EVF priority was to be more life like. I know that film simulation, wb and highlight/shadow tones settings affect both EVF, it just seems to affect the XPRO2 more and I haven't found a setting combination that makes the XPRO2 evf life-like.

One reviewer has experienced a serious IQ issue when shooting into the sun:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160406_1908-FujifilmXPro2-GridArtifacts-lenses.html

Lloyd always manages to find the end of the world with almost anything he writes about. This effect was mentioned on another forum and the example images there, like the one Lloyd posted, are frankly nothing I would ever expect to use to begin with. This problem (which I'm pretty certain is internal reflections) appears to only be seen in circumstances with horrible veiling flare that would itself render the images useless IMHO. 

Lloyd hates the X-TRANS sensors anyway and is using this as another reason to pile on. Using diglloyd as proof that a camera/lens is bad strikes me as just about as crazy as using Ken Rockwell as proof that something is wonderful.

Edited by khollister

- Heating Issue

I've only used Wasabi brand after market batteries and I do notice the camera gets warm in my hand. Not uncomfortable hot, just warm enough for me to notice. I'm wondering if it's cause of the aftermarket batteries. I will use only the Fujifilm original battery from now on to see if there's a difference. Anyone else having this issue that's using only OEM batteries?

If I use the camera continuously for 10-20 minutes (shooting, chimping, playing with menus), the LCD and bottom heats up a bit (warm, not hot). High performance mode seems to hasten this some, but I have not tested it. However, the issues that I have read about where a couple guys sent theirs back for a replacement appeared to have a different problem which mine does not have. They reported that setting the camera to not power off automatically and letting it sit for 10-20 minutes with the LCD on caused the camera to become hot. Under those no-load conditions (other than running the LCD), my XP2 remains at room temperature. I have to be using it to focus, review images and take images for it to eventually get warm. I'm using OEM batteries BTW. 

I don't think this is a bug (neither does Fuji from the reports of conversations with them). Mirrorless cameras are much more processor intensive than DSLR's and you can't significantly step up the CPU horsepower without  some increased power dissipation. There is nowhere for the heat to go but the metal chassis via conduction.