X-Pro2 initial bug report

A bit late but I have had:

1 reset on the 2nd day but has been fine since

freezing issue every time I connect directly to instax printer (I just installed the new firmware and it didn't solve this, obviously they were just focused on the reset issue)

intermittent freezing issues when using wifi (and from memory once during a completely unrelated action)

loving the camera still!

https://www.instagram.com/fujifilmxpro2/

I also couldn't get either one of the X Pro2 bodies I had to connect to the Instax printer.

I'm getting the "Turn off/on issue" - have it with all lenses (50-140, 35 1.4, 56mm) -- :( took the camera last week. It will be really ugly if this is a hardware bug - comming from Nikon D750 and don't want to see Fuji fuck it like Nikon. It also overheats and battery is dying suddenly.

I would send it back.  I had two bodies in a row that did the Turn On/Turn Off.  I am returning the second one tomorrow.  I ended up going with a Df because all the bugs are worked out with it.  It's a really great camera, sadly with no split prism.

I didn't have overheating with either body, but neither one would connect to the Instax Printer.  When I called B&H today they weren't surprised.  They have had quite a few returns on the X Pro2.  Adorama has also.  

I've hade the camera for three weeks now. Overall I'm super-happy with it, but on three occasions (shooting concerts) I've run into the back-heating problem. The LCD (and bottom-plate and eye-piece) warm up to uncomfortable levels and at two of those times I had the black-frames issue. Contacted the store to discuss options. For the rest: Loving it!

According to a couple of reports, the "turn off then back on" issue was not addressed with the firmware update.

Users having installed the firmware, please report on this, as well as other issues. It would also be important to note if the unsolved issues are related to other probable parameters, e.g. aftermarket batteries, memory cards, use conditions etc.

According to a couple of reports, the "turn off then back on" issue was not addressed with the firmware update.

Users having installed the firmware, please report on this, as well as other issues. It would also be important to note if the unsolved issues are related to other probable parameters, e.g. aftermarket batteries, memory cards, use conditions etc.

Confirmation from today attached, nothing is solved with this issue on 1.01! Cannot pin out specific condition - It happens with 1 card/slot, 2 cards/slots. Original and aftermarket batteries, several lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mralien

Confirmation from today attached, nothing is solved with this issue on 1.01! Cannot pin out specific condition - It happens with 1 card/slot, 2 cards/slots. Original and aftermarket batteries, several lenses. 

Judging from the photo, yours was one of "a couple of reports" I saw (in FB, I think). :)  Thank you for the feedback!

I just had this problem yesterday after about an hour's use. Black frames, then turn off/on error. However, it went an hour without exhibiting the problem, but then it started happening more frequently towards the end of my shoot. The camera has been patched with the newest firmware. Lens used was 23mm f1.4 R, and it was attached the entire time (did not replace or otherwise futz around with the lens mount mechanism).

I get the impression if there were still problems with many owners then this thread would be buzzing or another would have been created.  I have noticed a bit of silence since the firmware was released, which I interpret as 'no news is good news' (at least for the majority).

It's still too early right now I think. I havent gotten the chance to really play with the camera since the update. I'm sure we will get more feed back later this coming weekend. Hopefully there are no problems. :\ 

Hi Folks.

I've got the same issue as you, shutter curtain stuck followed with the "Turn Off/On" message.

I sent back my X-Pro 2 to Fujifilm France for a check/repair last week.

Fujifilm France told me that my camera is the first and unique case at this time in France with this issue, and they cannot repair it at this time 'cause they don't have any detached pieces right now (pretty obvious for a new camera launch...).

Also they don't know when it will get repaired, it could take a month or more...

I ask them if there's anyway to get a standard exchange, judging by their answer I don't think I'll got any... 

They told me they got two solutions for me :

- They ship me my camera back, and when they got the detached pieces, I'll return them for the repair.

- They say they can provide me a loan camera during the whole repair process, but they don't have any...

For a standard exchange, as they explained me, they have to get the approval from Fujifilm Japan...

They call me back this week... Wait and see...

I got a reply from the shop where I bought the camera. Apparently Fuji told them the heating-issue is nog a defect, but due to the improved technical workings of the X-Pro2, this camera heats up faster then the X-Pro1 does. It (this X-Pro2) is simply faster and heats up more because of that.

I'm having a bit of a problem with this answer as I cannot imagine that it is normal that the camera feels "too hot to handle". I'm also awaiting Fujifilm's reply, will see what they say.

I got a reply from the shop where I bought the camera. Apparently Fuji told them the heating-issue is nog a defect, but due to the improved technical workings of the X-Pro2, this camera heats up faster then the X-Pro1 does. It (this X-Pro2) is simply faster and heats up more because of that.

I'm having a bit of a problem with this answer as I cannot imagine that it is normal that the camera feels "too hot to handle". I'm also awaiting Fujifilm's reply, will see what they say.

This is indeed not a serious answer, but let me ask you guys with this problem: does overheating cause errors in operation or camera freeze? What levels of overheating are we talking about? One member mentioned high enough temperature that it was uncomfortable holding the camera.

This is indeed not a serious answer, but let me ask you guys with this problem: does overheating cause errors in operation or camera freeze? What levels of overheating are we talking about? One member mentioned high enough temperature that it was uncomfortable holding the camera.

To me: hot/uncomfortable to hold the camera and I had a few black frames and only when the camera felt hot.

Edited by kjguch

To me: hot/uncomfortable to hold the camera and I had a few black frames and only when the camera felt hot.

What were you doing at the time that caused the excess heat?  I could see this happening if shooting video for over 10 min or having the camera on a tripod and shooting an image every second for a couple hours to stitch together in a video.

What were you doing at the time that caused the excess heat?  I could see this happening if shooting video for over 10 min or having the camera on a tripod and shooting an image every second for a couple hours to stitch together in a video.

I was shooting photos at concerts. No video, only stills. The EVF on normal (not high). Not 'spray&pray', but keeping an eye on the EVF to follow the action. In the mean time shooting photos, changing AF-location and focusing. Nothing a camera should not be able to handle an the X100 and X-Pro1 have always been able to do this without generating any noticeable heat. All in all I'd sooner expect if from the X-Pro1 as that had far more problems getting focus with the 56mm (happened with 56mm and once with 35mm).

My Sandisks have a 45mb/s speed. Not the fastest, but I cannot imagine that this would lead to such heat generation. 

I was shooting photos at concerts. No video, only stills. The EVF on normal (not high). Not 'spray&pray', but keeping an eye on the EVF to follow the action. In the mean time shooting photos, changing AF-location and focusing. Nothing a camera should not be able to handle an the X100 and X-Pro1 have always been able to do this without generating any noticeable heat. All in all I'd sooner expect if from the X-Pro1 as that had far more problems getting focus with the 56mm (happened with 56mm and once with 35mm).

My Sandisks have a 45mb/s speed. Not the fastest, but I cannot imagine that this would lead to such heat generation. 

In these conditions there is no excuse: I do it all the time in concerts, both the X-T1 and X-E2 have no issues. Mind you, I'm talking often high environmental temperatures, since I live in Greece and in summer it gets quite hot.

In these conditions there is no excuse: I do it all the time in concerts, both the X-T1 and X-E2 have no issues. Mind you, I'm talking often high environmental temperatures, since I live in Greece and in summer it gets quite hot.

It's not that hot in the venues here so that can't be an issue here. However I also have a question out with Fujifilm, so I'll wait to hear what they have to say. The Camerastore just replied with phone-number to the German location of Fujifilm for additional questions.

Ya ... what you did was normal shooting and you certainly should not have had an overheat problem.  I wonder if it is the unit you have as this doesn't seem to be a rampant issue from what I've seen over the past week of casual web surfing on the topic of XP2.

I had a Nikon SB900 flash and it was pron to overheating quickly, resulting it putting itself into a sleep mode until it cooled.  It reached an overheated state way to quickly and people were complaining quite a bit online (and it caused me problems quickly when working a wedding).  Nikon quickly released the SB910 with a fix (like the quick Nikon D610 fix after the D600 fiasco).  I quickly learned that on the SB900 I could disable the auto-off feature if the flash was overheating.  I turned it off and for the next 2+ years I had that flash and I worked it hard and never had an issue even though the LCD indicated an overheat.  :)

Hi

Edit: not enough sleep plus slow lightroom does not help... My fault.

Remaining question: is there some official bug report channel for Fuji?

Observations after about 1 week of use: WiFi is really buggy, both with the Mobile App as well as the Copy to PC functionality. Everything else seems to be OK, did not try flash so far. Battery indicator is mostly OK, but falls off rapidly towards the end of the battery life (both with Fuji and with Pantona batteries).

Edited by nilspickert

Just got this camera yesterday. Happy X100 user and like the Xpro2 too. But some issues:

- loses some settings. (not full reset after firmware update). Specifically: 1. AF Illuminator occasionally turns itself back on. 2. Focus sound turns back on. (lowest volume is too loud so I turned this off). 3. Focus points reverts back to 77. 4. Face Eye detection setting changes. (I set to Face On/Eye Auto and discovered this changes when I change focus from C/S/M and back. However, when I change back from Manual to Single it should change back to my last setting.

These aren't horrible issues and I'm sure they will get addressed with firmware.

My biggest issue is wifi. This was a major selling point for me to use wifi to transfer an occassionial photo to several computers in our household. When I try to connect, either by manually entering SSID or by scanning for network, the screen just freezes. Even if I turn "off" the camera, the screen stays on and frozen. I have to remove the battery. This happens 100% of the time and I have never once connected to wifi.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem or I should return my camera. I sent an email to Fuji support to see what they say.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the image quality and am enjoying my new XF lenses and flexibility over my X100.

So summary:

+1 Partial resets of some settings

+1 Frozen wifi when connecting

I got a reply from the German representative of Fujifilm that the heating of the body is caused by the metal housing of the camera. However it says that is as the housing is of metal instead of plastic, it can warm up quicker.

It does for me not explain the black frames (unless that is an unfortunate coincidence unrelated to the heat) and the fact that I found it to be more thane merely 'warmer'. I have another concert to shoot this weekend, will try and see what happens there. 

Edited by kjguch

I tell you my experience.

This morning I've not anything to do, so I tried to see battery life in high performance with 35 f/2, at about 22 celsius degree I have at my home (CIPA would tell 23), only EVF, P mode, RAW+JPG, 20% shoot with flash (Nissin i40), turni on/off every 10 shoot, and auto ISO. I shoot only 100 frames, then I've interpolated the result (so it can be little imprecise).

I followed (almost) the CIPA standard and got 238 shoot (manual reports 210 in such conditions, with 35 1.4), and at the end the camera was only slightly warm, similar when I used Nikon D750 in livewiew.

I did a test today where I let the camera warm up, then took a whole bunch of frames over several hours. The turn on/off bug happened once, no black frames, and the camera got warm, but not hot. I wonder if this bug goes away after a break-in period. I will be out shooting again tomorrow and will see how it does.