X-Pro2 initial bug report

I got this from Fuji Repair.  I sent them a long email detailing the problems with the off/on, so if anyone thinks it's a firmware issue they are out of luck:

"Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the X PRO 2. I would tell you to send the camera back to the store. If your getting that error with different lens, then there's something wrong with the lens mount on the camera."

I have had three cameras repaired by them.  They are nice and usually accurate. 

Don't know about that. My Canon AE-1 Program and Canon T70 are nearly the same size as the X-T1, and the T70 almost weights the same, whereas all those DSLRs are very bulky and heavy in comparison. And the Df is the same size and weight as those DSLRs, but with the look of an SLR and mixed controls. However, as I said, have fun with it! If it's the right thing for you, that's great.

Well having lugged around a Hasselblad and a Horseman 4 x 5 for years with tripod, I think even someone at my advanced age can handle a Df and a couple of lenses.  :)

I am just glad I kept that FM2 + 2 lenses.  I almost sold it because I bought a used M6 with a 35 F2 a few years ago.  It was more out of nostalgia than anything else.  I had taken a lot of photos with it and had a hard time letting it go.

Too bad on the X Pro 2.  I shot it a lot on Saturday when it was working.  It was just about everything I wanted the original X Pro to be.  I really liked the ISO dial on it.  I never liked that XT 1.  I prefer an optical viewfinder. 

I got a confirmation from Fuji repair that the On/Off issue is more than likely with the lens mount.  It was pretty obvious that wasn't a firmware issue.  The camera's shutter also will periodically not fire at all.  Oh well.  Maybe I will try again in a couple of years when they get the bugs sorted out and their quality control has improved.  I may end up keeping the X100T when it gets back from the repair shop.  Between the $1400 purchase price and the $275 repair it probably doesn't make much financial sense to sell it.

Edited by Stanleyk

Don't know about that. My Canon AE-1 Program and Canon T70 are nearly the same size as the X-T1, and the T70 almost weights the same, whereas all those DSLRs are very bulky and heavy in comparison. And the Df is the same size and weight as those DSLRs, but with the look of an SLR and mixed controls. However, as I said, have fun with it! If it's the right thing for you, that's great.

That is a great point. I think that some newer photographers may not know how small and tightly constructed some of the older SLRs were. My experience was with the beautiful little Pentax ME and MX bodies, along with some of the small and quite good Pentax lenses of that ere. By comparison to them, many of today's DSLRs are gigantic!

Maybe I will try again in a couple of years when they get the bugs sorted out and their quality control has improved.  I may end up keeping the X100T when it gets back from the repair shop.  Between the $1400 purchase price and the $275 repair it probably doesn't make much financial sense to sell it.

If Fujifilm history is any guide, you should not have to wait "a couple of years." With some early release problems in the past Fujifilm came up with fixes quite quickly. You might wait a couple of months...

... and avoid being the first to buy the brand new model in the future, whether the manufacturer is Fujifilm or someone else.

Dan

Edited by gdanmitchell

That is a great point. I think that some newer photographers may not know how small and tightly constructed some of the older SLRs were. My experience was with the beautiful little Pentax ME and MX bodies, along with some of the small and quite good Pentax lenses of that ere. By comparison to them, many of today's DSLRs are gigantic!

Thom Hogan has stated, both in the past and in some recent posts, that, actually, DSLRs don't need to be gigantic, that was a design decision taken during the last days of professional film cameras (think F5 and such).

In fact, this concept could be used by Canonikon to comfortably enter the mirrorless market, without having to introduce a new mount. The extra depth required by the longer flange distance would be offset by a generous grip (housing electronics, controls, the battery etc). The new Sigma mirrorless cameras are an example of this.

All that said, I still find great pleasure in using my old OM cameras and lenses; in my opinion they offer the perfect size/weight compromise between ease of use and functionality.

If Fujifilm history is any guide, you should not have to wait "a couple of years." With some early release problems in the past Fujifilm came up with fixes quite quickly. You might wait a couple of months...

... and avoid being the first to buy the brand new model in the future, whether the manufacturer is Fujifilm or someone else.

Dan

I already have a buyer for all but two of the lenses and have a Df shpping today from B&H.  I went through the repairs on the original X100 for the aperture blades and XT for the light leak/d pads.  I'm just not willing to do it again with them for their new 3 years in the making flagship camera.  The repair will definitely involve a lens mount replacement per Fuji Repair.  Right now my X100T is having a new top plate put on at $275 because the viewfinder shutter is faulty.  Maybe it's bad luck or maybe it's just poor quality control.  Either way, I'm not impressed with the camera bodies from a quality perspective.  I really liked what I saw with the X Pro 2, but I am not willing to send in a brand new $1700 camera for a 3-4 week lens mount replacement.  The lenses are good, but heck they are all good now compared to when I started doing photography in the 70's. 

Thom Hogan has stated, both in the past and in some recent posts, that, actually, DSLRs don't need to be gigantic, that was a design decision taken during the last days of professional film cameras (think F5 and such).

In fact, this concept could be used by Canonikon to comfortably enter the mirrorless market, without having to introduce a new mount. The extra depth required by the longer flange distance would be offset by a generous grip (housing electronics, controls, the battery etc). The new Sigma mirrorless cameras are an example of this.

All that said, I still find great pleasure in using my old OM cameras and lenses; in my opinion they offer the perfect size/weight compromise between ease of use and functionality.

You are correct it is the electronics.  However for those dwindling number of us who prefer some type of optical viewfinder you are still stuck with the mirror box.  From my 1 day with it, I think the X Pro 2 is a great size.  Beautiful camera, terrible execution.  That said I would love a digital FM2.  Of course once you add auto focus either the lenses or the bodies start getting bigger.  I wish someone would make a fully manual digital FM2.  I just cannot understand why Nikon does not make a split prism for the Df.  There is a third party company that makes them so I ordered one of those...sigh............

X-pro2 with 35mm F2 WR is very slow to AF in even moderately low light. Not sure if this is a "bug" per se but hoping that Fuji will read these and address with firmware if possible. 

OMG I thought I was the only one. I even set it to high performance as well and it seems pretty darn slow in the AF with just office type lights. Photos tend to blur as well whent he subject is not really move that fast  I honestly think its a bug : ( 

Anyone else with the same issue? 

I have the wobbly shutter button issue. It's worse when using screw-in soft release buttons as they just flop about and rattle. Even without the soft release, it's still an annoyance for me and prevents quiet camera operation.

I had the issue where all settings where lost. It happened when I changed the battery on the first day. 

I have this same issue as well. I love the camera but the devil is in the details. 

I've had my xpro2 for a few days, and I have had the reset once. I've also had the LCD screen say turn off power and turn back on once. Hope this is a firmware issue. I do agree with others about the power/shutter button. It seems really wobbly for a $1700 camera. Otherwise I'm very happy with my purchase.

I need some clarity on the wobbly shutter button issue. Is it a design issue or a quality issue ? In other words have people with this problem tested other samples which do not have this problem ? I have noticed that there are many posts going back 5 years where people complain about a wobbly shutter button on their Fuji cameras.

I need some clarity on the wobbly shutter button issue. Is it a design issue or a quality issue ? In other words have people with this problem tested other samples which do not have this problem ? I have noticed that there are many posts going back 5 years where people complain about a wobbly shutter button on their Fuji cameras.

I am currently on the fence about returning my X-Pro2, but the shutter button is not the reason.  Still works and it feels the same as my X100T.  I use a concave shutter release button on both as I have really large hands.  Think it functions just fine.

I spoke with Fujifilm NJ, they are aware of the WiFi and settings reset issue and they feel a firmware fix will be coming soon.  How soon?  He did not give an exact date, but he said if I still have issues it should be within my 30 day return policy for Amazon.  That is reassuring.  I am not seeing the black frames or feeling the heat of the camera like others.  I'll hold on a bit longer.  Still on the fence, but feel a little better about talking to them.

I spoke with Fujifilm NJ, they are aware of the WiFi and settings reset issue and they feel a firmware fix will be coming soon.  How soon?  He did not give an exact date, but he said if I still have issues it should be within my 30 day return policy for Amazon.  That is reassuring.  I am not seeing the black frames or feeling the heat of the camera like others.  I'll hold on a bit longer.  Still on the fence, but feel a little better about talking to them.

If you have the black frames you should return the camera.  That is probably a lens mount issue.  A rep from B&H told me this AM they were getting a lot of return requests. 

I am rather perplexed by one thing: the camera, albeit with beta firmware was in the hands of several dozen testers, since November last year.

Nobody noticed all these issues? How can it be? I'm totally sure most of them used the camera in demanding professional conditions (in other words, what we've seen in Fujifilm videos were not staged). The major issues, such as reseting, freezing and overheating would be evident from the first few days for those photographers.

Which points to the assumption that, perhaps, either the firmware or the hardware (or both) of the final production cameras were altered quite a bit from the pre-production examples. Introducing bugs along the way.

What are your thoughts about that?

I am rather perplexed by one thing: the camera, albeit with beta firmware was in the hands of several dozen testers, since November last year.

Nobody noticed all these issues? How can it be? I'm totally sure most of them used the camera in demanding professional conditions (in other words, what we've seen in Fujifilm videos were not staged). The major issues, such as reseting, freezing and overheating would be evident from the first few days for those photographers.

Which points to the assumption that, perhaps, either the firmware or the hardware (or both) of the final production cameras were altered quite a bit from the pre-production examples. Introducing bugs along the way.

What are your thoughts about that?

I am equally mystified.  The only reason I had to talk to B&H this AM was the original RMA they sent me included a return/replacement.  When I asked how long it would be for a replacement out of curiosity, he told me best case was 3-5 weeks.  He wasn't specific but he did mention the delay was possibly due to a significant number of return/replacements.  He sounded as if he had been fielding a number of these calls and was kind of irritable about it.

I took the camera out again today to make sure.  I'm still in my cancellation window on the Df.  My lenses have buyers which are local so I can back out.  I am going to think about it overnight.  It is a really nice camera but this is what I would call not acceptable given the problems I have had with the original X100 and XT1.  If I hadn't had to send my X100T in for repair two months after the warranty expired I probably would have not been as adamant.  But something is clearly wrong at their production facility.  I'm not sure what I am going to do.  I am going to decide tomorrow.  When I was able to use it, it was everything I wanted the original X Pro to be.  I am really torn on this because the camera is very nice and has an OVF which is important to me.  If it wasn't I would just get the new Sony and save $700.  But seriously, replacing the entire lens mount on a camera they spent three years working on?  Not encouraging.  

If I decide to keep it, I'm stuck shooting film for the next 5 weeks.  At least I have a darkroom.

I suspect there were rules in the NDA for those using the camera.  I don't think there as any RAW processing program available and given it was a pre-release firmware they had, I suspect it did not perform as fast and some features were missing from the camera.  I have not seen any follow-up videos from any of those I am following (Kevin Mullins, The Camera Store TV, Bert Stephani) since the camera came out.  I was interested in what Zach Arias had to say; so far he has been silent (though he usually quiet on the social media front).

I just took mine out to see if I could get the black frames or feel any heat.. Single shot AF and fired off a few hundred shots (with the OVF and 35 F1.4)... Surprised the full battery only went to 83%... I guess I am lucky (so far), no black frames.  May go out and try it again with the Nissin i40 on 1/256 power and burn some more battery in a bit.  Hopefully this firmware comes out soon and addresses my concerns; it may introduce new headaches though.

A little more patience from me is what is needed.  I, for one, enjoy the size and weight of the Fujifilm kit.  I already own a full frame Canon and the reason I got this Fujifilm stuff was due to being but on weight restrictions after an elbow injury else I probably would have been content with the X100 series.  Cannot give up my full frame gear as there are things it can do that mirror-less can't (70-200 for basketball and the 100L 1:1 macro and off camera lighting is better/more comfortable with a DSLR; hoping the X-Pro2 steps more into this arena).

Gonna hold out until next week on returning this thing.  Love/hate... love/hate...

Edited by SithTracy

Regarding the overheating issue; how could it be related to other issues, such as low battery life, slow writing to SD cards and the "on/off message"?

Can people confirm those issues appear as well? Also, can we pin down conditions, such as batteries used (original vs third party, and, if original, just the one in the box or older ones too?), type of cards used, etc?

I've also noticed some overheating on the bottom plate yesterday. That happened while trying to take a photo of a stationary subject with the 23mm, trying to get autofocus at its very minimum focusing distance and in very low light conditions. In a few of my attempts, I've been clearly trying to focus too close, beyond the specifications of the lens, even if just by a tiny margin, which caused the lens to hunt for focus several times. That resulted in the clearly slightly warm bottom plate and a hit in the battery charge left. The bottom plate was not that hot, but I could still clearly notice that it became warmer.

Like someone else suggested, this could well be similar to the issues experienced by many iPhone users after the installation of a software update on their mobiles, which resulted in overheating and poor battery life, most probably due to a memory leakage caused by the upgrade. I do hope, therefore, that this issue be fixed by Fuji with a firmware update.

As it stands, the battery on the X-Pro2 dies way too quickly than it could ever be accepted by even ordinary users.

+1 for the overheat with Pocket Wizard TT1 for Canon. The INSTANT the camera was turned on, got the "The camera has reached its maximum internal temperature. Turn it off and allow it to cool" (or words to that effect). I'm not trying that again! This is odd, because I've used this Pocket Wizard extensively with an X-E1 with no problems. Unlike the first report of this, I wasn't in basic trigger mode for the TT1. I'm not going to try it either!

It seems be OK with Pocket Wizard TT1 for Nikon in both basic mode (which gives clean sync from 1/250th sec) and the semi-auto mode with an AC3 that lets you adjust the power remotely, but only got a sync from 1/80th sec and longer with that mode. Unfortunately the Nikon TT1 isn't meant to be used in basic mode for a long time - the battery in the TT1 lasts less than an hour in basic mode. This is all rather frustrating!

... but there's hope! A pocket wizard Flex TT5 for Nikon seems to be working fine on the X-Pro2, and with an AC3 it can remotely control manual power on a Canon flash on a Canon Flex TT5, AND it gives decent sync speed: 1/200th sec clean with remote manual power control (1/250th with tiny shading), or 1/250th clean in basic trigger mode, and 1/320th with minuscule shading.

So if there are any other weirdos like me out there with a complete set of Nikon and Canon flashes and Pocket Wizards... it looks like we're all rosy to use Fuji. All the normal people are left in the cold. Chalk one up for us weirdos.

I received my X-Pro2 on Wednesday and aside from some minor settings changes I held off on digging into a full setup on it until I could get a better feel for the camera since I'm mainly an X-T1 user until now and to see if the reset bug would hit me. One of the first things I did change was to set it to shoot RAW to SD slot 1 and JPG to slot 2. Shot a few test photos last evening. When I went to review them this morning, I noticed that they were all JPG. Sure enough, when I looked at the settings it had reverted to shooting JPG sequentially across both cards. Shot some images for work on it today and the settings have held so far since I switched it back.

No issues with overheating or other errors. I'm not going to pack it up and ship it back at the first sign of trouble if it can be fixed with a firmware update, but I'm going to be very cautious about spending too much time on setting up everything to perfectly fit me until that firmware fix is released. 

Edited by Nero