X-Pro2 initial bug report

I've only had 2 issues so far. The settings reset once on my second day with the camera and the camera froze once when I took a picture. The issue with the settings reset has not happened again.

The day I got mine (last Thursday) I had the settings reset literally 2 minutes after I finished setting the whole thing up! That's the only time I've seen it. I've not experienced the other bugs listed at the top of this thread (yet). I'm sure we'll see an early summer firmware update that will address many of these.

X-pro2 with 35mm F2 WR is very slow to AF in even moderately low light. Not sure if this is a "bug" per se but hoping that Fuji will read these and address with firmware if possible. 

Hm - I've not experienced this. Bought that lens with the camera and I felt they were pretty snappy even in low light. I had bumped up my ISO to compensate but still didn't find this to be an issue. My only other Fuji lenses to compare are the 16-55 and 50-140 which are both also snappy to autofocus.

full battery left in xpro2 for 2 days
then replaced with new full battery, did configure my xpro2 (screen / function buttons / settings)
Shot some photos the next day until battery indicator was red.
Replaced battery ..checked ...yeah all settings were still there.
Then 15 photos later ... full reset (all changed settings / q menu screen / function buttons / .. gone)

had it only once today (but i've only used the camera today for the first time)

Just to add my name to the list...

There is definitely a bug with the Xpro2 where it is resetting itself....    Happened to me last night....  notice that I lost My Menu and that all my shooting preferences were lost.   Battery was topped off and I only shot maybe 30 shots last night... at some point in the evening as I turned the camera on and off...it reset itself.... I didn't even notice (was out with friends just snapping away in Manhattan really just to play with the camera)...  first 21 shots were RAW+JPEG, Adobe RGB and copied to both card slots.... the last 9 or so shots were just JPEG, sRGB and only on the first card slot.... and I lost my MY MENU selections....

Can't trust this camera yet.... feeling a little nervous about my $1700 spend.

I had the camera reset once.  It was after removing the SD cared downloading the card and then formatting the card.  The camera then reset all the settings except date, & time.  I've shot about 300 images and repeatedly removed the card and re-formatted the cards several times with no issues.

I have noticed the bottom of the camera get a little warm after normal use.  Nothing excessive, but noticeable.  No other issues.  I received mine on March 4th but I have not used it every day.  If all of this is just firmware related, I'm OK with that.  All the buttons and dials work perfectly!  I love the layout of the camera, with the exception of the ISO dial.  My preference would have been to leave it in the Q menu.  It's hard for me to see. (Aging eyes)  :-)  

Thanks for the participation guys. I trust that having as many confirmed reports as possible will help Fuji resolve the issues the soonest possible.

At this point I don't see any new reports not listed in the OP. I have updated ranking for some issues accordingly, as comments from more people come in.

Hey guys, in all seriousness thanks fro being early adopters and taking the time to report these things.  I just don't have the stomach to be the first guy anymore.  Most of these issue look like they can be corrected in firmware.  Fuji is pretty responsive so I would not be surprised to hear a recognition of some of the issues next week and a commitment to fixing them soon

I have had my X-Pro2 for about 3 days and have noticed some strange buggy behavior.  

The first issue was that the histogram would only display for a second after it was chosen to display in the custom OVF/EVF settings.  This was corrected with a full reset.  

Like others, I have also noticed the camera getting hot and the battery life seems pretty awful.  In the software world, this is usually due to a memory leak.  Any of you that have an iPhone probably remember one of Apple's updates that caused the phone to get noticeably hot in your hand and split the typical battery time in half.

Coming from a Canon 5D3 I was really excited about Fuji's offerings and this camera in particular. I'm tired of the weight of an DSLR, but dealing with these bugs at a price point of $1,700 is pretty ridiculous.  I want to love this camera.  So far... the weight is awesome... the styling is super sexy...  there are more features than I even need... and most importantly the image quality and film simulation is superb.  I do miss the full frame and large view finder, but other than that this camera could be a winner for me.  

However, Fuji needs to get on a firmware rev ASAP.  So far I've invested in the body, 35f2, upgraded lens hood, the18-55 and extra batteries, etc. 

Crapy battery life and annoying bugs like resets simply isn't cool for what is described as"pro" camera system. ~$3K should buy you a work horse with stellar results.  Not questionable reliability in the field. 

Edited by SFX-Pro

+1 for the camera freezing when trying to connect to Instax. Wouldn't respond to any button or even switch off. Left for a couple of minutes, it unfroze without needing to remove the battery.

+1 for the settings reset. Even though I'd left it with fully charged battery for 36 hours after purchase with light use. Changed battery and all OK... shooting and turning off and on a couple of times and all OK... then on turning on again, everything was back to factory default settings, and I find I shoot a video when I press my custom ISO button! Happened on first restart after turning OIS on on the 18-55, but that may just be coincidence.

Normally I'd be pretty grumpy that a professional camera is unusable for paying jobs, but we know we can trust Fuji to fix it. As long as they're quick about it, all will be forgiven.

Anyone been game to try to replicate the overheating issue with Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 or Flex TT5? I have both Canon and Nikon variants, and I'm just a little nervous of trying them!

Dean

Edited by dholland

My X-Pro2 will only recognize the Fuji manufactured Leica M Adapter and works fine with it.  However, I cannot use my other manual lenses on different adapters as the shutter won't fire. Has anybody in this forum experienced the same problem?

Me too..my Samyang 12mm F2.0 Fuji mount also not fire...

I am issuing the xpro2 now since a week and I love this camera. I am coming from xpro1 and Canon 5D3, all these products had some flaws in the first weeks. But again as many have written most issues found can be corrected by firmware and none hardware flaw has been found so far, which is at least a good sign.

--

http://sbstngrss.me

Very slow writing to SD cards other than UHS-II. Used Sandisk Extreme 45 Mb/s and 90 Mb/s cards that work perfectly in my X-E2 and X-T1 and yet the X-Pro2 acts like treacle. But stick a 280Mb/s UHS-II card in and its like machine gun. Something not right about how it treats non UHS-II cards.

I haven't had this problem but I am curious, does this affect cards in slot 1 or 2? For the record, I have a Lexar 2000x 300Mb/sec 64GB UHS-II card in slot 1 (for RAW) and a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 95Mb/sec UHS-I card in slot 2 for JPEG. I have found the write speeds to be very good.

This might just be a random unseen bit of dirt, but I had a persistent "! Lens Error" with the 27mm, even after removing and replacing the lens five times, and checking that all the contacts and the mount were good. Lens is fine on an X-E1. On startup on the X-Pro2, the rear display flashed on and off about 30 times over a period of 20 secs (with camera unresponsive), reporting the aperture as F1.0, before finally giving up and saying "! Lens Error". Repeated 6 times, removing and replacing lens. It was only when I swapped to another lens on the X-Pro2 and then back to the 27mm that the problem disappeared, and I haven’t replicated it in the last hour.

Got to say that I'm kindof enjoying this "Where's Wally" of possible bugs. Masochistic, but fun.

I have the wobbly shutter button issue. It's worse when using screw-in soft release buttons as they just flop about and rattle. Even without the soft release, it's still an annoyance for me and prevents quiet camera operation.

I had the issue where all settings where lost. It happened when I changed the battery on the first day. 

• Wobbly shutter button - not a massive issue for me personally but I've heard others complain. I can confirm that mine is noticeably more wobbly than that of my X-E2 so there is substance to what others are saying but for me this is a minor niggle.
I absolutely agree on the wobbly shutter button! I immediately had the same impression, soon after the X-Pro2 was taken out of the box. I could not be certainly sure, since I could not perform a direct comparison with my X-E2 that I've sold a few months ago. Hence why I posted a comment on a discussion on Fujirumors to ask for the opinion of other users. I then got one reply only, which anyway confirmed my initial impressions.

There's been also a quick hands-on review posted somewhere else that dedicated a few lines to clearly describe this minor 'issue'. As mentioned in this review, the wobbling becomes more noticeable once a soft release is screwed in into the shutter button and that's exactly how I actually first noticed the issue on my X-Pro2. It was by screwing a soft release kept from my X-E2 that the wobbly shutter button became clearly noticeable. :-/

I agree that it's not overly annoying, nonetheless I would have preferred a more sturdy shutter button.

The wobbly shutter button goes hand in hand with another cosmetic issue that I've described in a different thread on this forum, where I've posted a macro shot of a tiny imperfection I could observe on the paint finishing of my X-Pro2.

Edited by Wuthoqquan

Hello members,

I got mine march 4th and today march 13th I finally had the reset. Also the writing to SD card is slow and the body gets warm when using the menu for some time.

I think Fuji put it on the market too soon. I also have an E-2 and XT-1 without problems.

I hope Fuji solves these annoyments soon.

Greetings,

Leon.

Edited by Klassika

My camera is also doing the Turn On/Turn Off.  This was it for me with Fuji.  My initial X100 had the sticky aperture blades, then I had the d pad issue with the X T1, my X100T is currently in the shop for a viewfinder repair which is going to cost me $275, now this.  It is almost constant with the 60mm, and extremely frequent with the 16mm, 23mm, 27mm, and 35mm F1.4  

I have contacted B&H today to return the camera for a refund.  If anyone is interested in purchasing some Fuji lenses please send me a message.  I have all the primes except the 90mm and 56mm APD (boxes ext).  I have ordered a Nikon Df to replace this camera with.  So much for made in Japan quality.  At least I still have some of my AI lenses that I use with an FM2.  I guess once I sell off the Fuji junk I can use it to purchase more Nikon lenses.  Professional grade cameras they are not.  

I shot a D700 for years and it never had one single issue.  Heck the Sigma DP Merrill's have been using the last two years are better made than this Fuji cr#p.  Four out of 5 of the Fuji cameras I have purchased have had issues.  I gave my original X Pro to my niece with the 18-55.  I guess it is still working.  The X100T really makes me made because it is out of warranty by two months.  The Fuji Repair USA would do nothing for me.

You could post the gear you want to sell in the "Classifieds" section. Would make it easier for prospective buyers, and you could probably sell them faster.

Have fun with the Df!  :)  Great sensor, but I found the exterior and especially the controls to be a bit inconsistent and clumsy (and too bulky). Good camera nonetheless.

You could post the gear you want to sell in the "Classifieds" section. Would make it easier for prospective buyers, and you could probably sell them faster.

Have fun with the Df!  :)  Great sensor, but I found the exterior and especially the controls to be a bit inconsistent and clumsy (and too bulky). Good camera nonetheless.

A buddy of mine has had the Df for a couple of years.  I have used it a few times.  My only real complaint about it is the lack of a split prism focusing screen.  Hard to understand Nikon's decision there.  That said it's built like a tank.  I guess I'm older so I'm sort of the opposite.  I never really liked that XT 1 because it was so small.  The faster prime lenses always felt too big on the camera.  But everyone has their preferences.  In the end it's more about reliability for me.  Hopefully Fuji can straighten out their products.  The more manufacturers the better off everyone is.  Right now their products are just not reliable at the price point they are asking.  If this was a $500-$700 camera I might have been more understanding.

I have one person at the HCP who is interested in a few of the lenses.  If they don't sell by mid week I will list them here.  Hopefully I can sell them soon.  I need to get a 35mm 1.4 and a 85.

I had a portrait job today I had to do some fast planning on since this X Pro 2 is crapped out. I got out the Hasselblad and shot three rolls of Acros and three rolls of Porta.  I have made the contacts for the Acros and they turned out great, but of course it is going to cost me more this way because I have to send the Porta to a lab.  I couldn't really ask them to pay more.  Somehow I doubt Fuji is going to reimburse me for it...  :D It actually was quite fun once everyone got used to slowing down.  I'm 56 years old so I've done it this way before many times.  People sure aren't as patient as they used to be though.  I was trying to explain the Pentax spot meter to the client.  It was pretty funny.  But they sure don't make cameras they way they used to either.  That Hasselblad is over 30 years old and works like it was built yesterday.

BTW-  I know two other people who have had the same Off/On issue.  Both of them are returning to B&H for a refund.  They are Canon shooters.  They had tried out a couple of my Fuji lenses and were really interested.  Everyone is pretty disappointed all the way around with Fuji cameras.  Maybe they should just stick to lenses.  They seem to have some very bad issues with quality control of their products.  

When I first got the camera on Wednesday I only shot with the 35 f2 and everything was fine, a great improvement over auto focus speed and image quality, the next day was out and put the 16 on to use and then it began to get a strange ratcheting sound and was the same with the 56 and not the 35. When I put the 16 on manual focus sound went away, it was a faint sound but a constant sort of clicking I reset the camera and it hasn't done it again, had a shoot all day yesterday and camera was fine. new firmware?

That said it's built like a tank.  I guess I'm older so I'm sort of the opposite.  I never really liked that XT 1 because it was so small.

Don't know about that. My Canon AE-1 Program and Canon T70 are nearly the same size as the X-T1, and the T70 almost weights the same, whereas all those DSLRs are very bulky and heavy in comparison. And the Df is the same size and weight as those DSLRs, but with the look of an SLR and mixed controls. However, as I said, have fun with it! If it's the right thing for you, that's great.