XS-1 replacment (wish list)

Now that the 100-400 lens is here, I feel it is less likely that a replacement to the XS-1 will be released, however, I still feel there are users waiting for a high quality super zoom bridge camera at the right price

Sony have the RX10-2 with a "Zeiss" 24-200 F/2.8  (135 Eqv)

Panasonic have the DMC-FZ1000 EB with a Leica 25-400 F/2.8- F/4 (135 Eqv)

Both are 20MP, the Sony's F/2.8 through the whole zoom is nice, but it lacks reach, the Panasonic is longer and still fast at F/4 at the Tele end

The Sony sells in the uk for around £1000, the Panasonic for just over half (although is now a few years old)

If Fuji released a replacement for the XS-1, something a long the following

Improved high ISO performance

Retain the 600mm reach

New IBIS

Competitively priced

I'm not really screaming for a bigger sensor, although would not complain as long as it did not make the camera excessively bigger or heavier than the X-S1

The crop factor moving from 3/4 sensor in X-S1 to 1" goes from 3.9 to 2.7, so there is no getting around more glass is needed to get the same reach, so it would most likely be bigger

.................Edit................

I'd be happy with the X30's sensor & processor, and more modern features in a MKII model of the X-S1,

X-Trans II Sensor & Processor

New Viewfinder

New Screen

Wifi

Basically take the X30, build it into the X-S1 Body with the X-S1 Lens, and release it as a mark II camera

It would be cheap for Fuji to do (R&D wise) and would arguably be the best super zoom camera on the market.

Would replace the aging MK 1 X-S1 and be a nice secondary/Safari/wildlife camera.

Edited by Tikcus

• 3 years later...

Must say - after 8 years since it’s release, it sure does look like the X-S1 has been banished into obscurity. This is quite sad.

Being long in the tooth by any standard, it still creates astonishingly good results if you take the time to get to know it and thus get the best from it.

I had a X-S1 around 2012 to 2014 and used it a lot. I really loved it and together with the X100, I felt I had all my photographic needs covered. Then came the Sony RX10 and on paper at least, it made a lot of sense, so I sold my X-S1 and got a RX10. My X100 developed SAB and I gave it away and later also got a RX100M3 when I wanted to travel light.

I’m primarily a .jpg shooter, so eventually the Sony color processing got me down down and I sold both the RX10 and RX100M3

I recently stumbles upon a cheap X-S1 and got it, since I loved the 1st one so much and did not have anything with a decent reach at the time.

Oh wow! The X-S1 is still just as awesome, all these years on.

In decent light it creates nice colors with excellent contrast. Just do not pixel peep every picture.

It also has a decent flash for low light situation, for in-fill or normal flash. Since it has a hot-shoe, it opens other doors too.

It has a HUGE EVF. I could not find specs on the EVF, but compared it to my X-H1 and its exactly the same size, so I presume .75x magnification then also. Its much larger than the X100, X-E1 and X-T10 which I have had (or still have).

The handling is also very good ad with plenty buttons and a manual zoom, it is a pleasure to use.

—— WISHLIST ——

My wishlist for a X-S2 would be more or less the same as the OP’s list:

• latest Chipset
  • latest EVF (although the old one is not bad)
  • fully articulated screen with touch functionality would be nice, but I do like the current buttons on the left which will then have to go.
  • wifi is not a deal-breaker for me, but I can understand why it would be a welcome addition
  • a zoom action which does not droop when pointed downwards
  • Zoom lens equivalent to 24-600mm f2.8 to f4 would be awesome.

The above and a new X100v (with a decent Bayer sensor like the X-T100 has) to compliment it, will complete my photo tool wishlist.

• 1 year later...

I have just purchased a mint condition Fujifilm XS-1, I had one back in 2013 and regretted selling it. I have tried so many different cameras but kept getting frustrated because I hate carrying loads of gear around and trying to decide what lens to put on was driving me mad. I came to the conclusion that I want a super zoom camera with a good quality lens and excellent photo quality. The Sony RX10iii would probably be my ideal camera but at around £1200 or more, it is way too expensive for me. So along came my second XS-1, my first one cost £599 but my second one I got for £179 and it looks brand new. I used it for the first time recently and was blown away with it and it has fired up my enthusiasm for taking photos even more. Compared to my Pentax KP with a 18-135mm, the XS-1 feels much lighter and fits my hand so well, the battery life is amazing and as for the lens, well it truly covers every type of photo situation, that I could ever encounter. I know the resolution will never compete with a DSLR or modern mirrorless camera but I actually like the softer effects that I get with the XS-1 and I have never been a pixel peeper anyway.