XT2 - Metering switch/collar does not work. Camera stays in average metering mode

Hi,

Does anyone know how to fix this? My camera works fine, except for the metering switch/collar. My camera stays in average metering mode, whichever way I turn the switch. In face detection mode I see the face icon in the EVF, but turning off face detection, it keeps showing [ ], no matter what I turn. Is there a menu setting I'm unaware of, or is this a mechanical/electronical problem?

In the latter case, should I try to fix it myself? Or can I be flying by my histogram, even if I would need spot metering now and then?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for your reply, but the preview does not change when I turn the collar. The metering symbol (or readings) does not change either. The metering symbol changes, however, when I change it from the computer in tethering mode (from [ ] into [-], etc. in the line below in the EVF). That's why I am convinced that it's a collar problem, So working in manual mode, based off the histogram, is my single working method. Opening the hardware is not in my plans.

You may be able to get it repaired at a camera shop that does repairs. But as far as pricing goes, getting a different body may be less expensive.

In the mean time, shooting completely manual while relying on the histogram sounds like it still works.

edit: I am guessing that you have tried several shots to make sure the metering does not actually change, to rule out the display icon being stuck.

Edited by jerryy

Hi Jerryy, Yes, I ruled everything out. I already work like this for the last 6 months, relying mainly on the blinkies. This made for some severely underexposed shots last summer (the sky was always well exposed, though!). Right now I can imagine a situation where spot metering might come in handy: TTL flash during backlit summer scenes, for example.

An external light meter might work as a lesser expensive alternative; though it might seem like you are going back to the film days, they still work.

https://shotkit.com/best-light-meter/

edit: Have you considered setting up auto exposure bracketing in the menus or using a manual version of that? It is possible to use that with flash photography either manually by changing the shutter speed while the flash cycles or by getting a flash that fully works with aeb — though I do not work with flash gear often enough these days to make any recommendations as to which ones work best for that approach.

Edited by jerryy