Hello everyone, I just got my XT1 graphite and I'm psyched. I wanted to know how to lock the focus without refocusing?

on the canon there was an option to lock the refocus.

for exmaple you  press on the half shutter and then you press on the lock button, and now you can shoot focus locked, up until i release the button. 

I wanted to see if there as a simular way to first press the AF-L and make it act as a lock and not FOCUS + lock.

the only options I found on the XT1 was its to make it AFL on/off or AFL press/release. so how can i get rid of the AF and just keep L?
I hope I'm not making it too confusing.

Also can someone recommend wireless transmitter for external flash.

I used the vello but I keep having misess with the flash syncing.

I feel you pain with the AF-L button. I haven't found any way to make it stop refocusing when pressed. Even if you switch to manual focus it still refocuses when pressed. There is an setting for "Instant AF" but is it limited to AF-S and AF-C.

It's supposed to refocus if you press it.  Your camera will not refocus automatically if set in manual though.

jwarstyle - In Shooting Menu #4 you will find an item called AE/AF-LOCK MODE. Change it to ON/OFF SWITCH instead of the default ON WHEN PRESSING.

Now if you press AF-L button once it will in fact Focus and Lock, but you'll be able to recompose and take as many shots as you wish, without refocusing and without holding the button all the time. The focus will be released only if you press the AF-L button again. Isn't that what you're looking for? I believe it's exactly what the Canon "routine" described by you does, yet in even more convenient way, by using just one button for focus and lock instead.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By K PRETHVIRAJ
      I was imagining if ,fujifilm itself or any third parties ,make a auto focusing speedbooster to use fujifilm gfx lenses on fujifilm x series camera's !! . i might sound stupid , but actually it has great benefits in many area's . people who own x series and gfx series ,don't have to buy different lenses . also the camera industry is slowly shifting to medium format from full frame , so we will start seeing speedbooster for gfx lenses to different fullframe mount's of other manufacturer cameras too . so what do you think about this ? ,let's us all share our opinion's here ! about this , so maybe this might lead to a speedbooster ,like we said ! ,from fujifilm or third parties !! ,since many are using gfx camera's these day's ,who also has a x series body with them . so share your opinion's about this here , have a nice day !
    • By Hasmique
      Half of the modes are not functioning at all. I've marked the functions that are not working(red circles) and that are working (green circles).
      Model: X-A5
      Lens:  XC 35mm f2

• By zuluviper
      I am using a X-E1 camera with a vintage Canon FD 50mm F1.8 lens. 
      When I take an image the result is always soft, even though the viewfinder or screen show a very sharp image, however as soon as I press the shutter pre-view the image is soft, and when I take the photograph, the result is soft - like it is very slightly out of focus. I have used this with focus peaking and everything looks sharp. Am I correct in assuming that images seen on the screen when focusing is via the lens? is it the lens? or my setting or my manual focusing ability. some help will be useful, TIA.
    • By K PRETHVIRAJ
      I stumbled upon a youtube video from "make art now" ,he was showing the new "DJI LiDAR 3D focus system". , Which can be used to give vintage lens "autofocus" ability . So we can get the oldest and unique Lenses and use it for daily work or fun ,same way we use a lens with auto focus ! .it seems interesting to me and i thought it will be useful for everyone here , who likes some specific vintage lens but wasn't buying it because it doesn't have auto focus ! .

• By Anton
      Hi all. Your assistance / advice will be greatly appreciated.
      I use an XT3, and acquired the Godox 350 and Godox X1T remote trigger. For some reason, the remote trigger will not fire the flash off-camera. The following may be relevant:
      When I have both the remote trigger and the flash off the camera, the test button on the remote trigger does fire the flash. When the flash is on the camera, I works perfectly in all modes. When the remote trigger is on the camera, it fires the flash when I press the test button on the remote trigger When I press the shutter it does NOT fire the flash. When the remote trigger is on the camera, the only flash setting available are Off and Manual. From the above, it would seem to me tat both the flash and the remote trigger in fact work, but that either:
      The remote trigger is not compatible with the XT3; OR There is some setting on the XT3 that I need to adjust. Any thoughts or experience with this equipment?
      Regards and take care.

• Are you sure you have a X-T2? the Fuji firmware list for X-T2 does not mention firmware 1.35 nor an update where the X-T2 is made compatible with the webcam software.
    • It's not cheaper when buying in Germany. Below are screenshots from the Leica store in Berlin Germany and from B&H , USA. I put the two cameras in the cart just for comparison sake. At today's exchange rate, 14050 Euros = $16720, which makes it more expensive to buy in Germany.  
    • For limited numbers of images (up to 100k or so), the Lightroom or Capture One Catalogue usually will do. If you work in projects -like I usually do- Capture One Sessions is a much better option. I can also recommend the DAM (Digital Asset Management) of ON1 Photo Raw as it keeps raw and jpegs nicely together when you cull them. For large numbers of images Photo Mechanic is by far the best. It's often used by journalists and other pro's who have to search for certain images based on content. Either way, it's good to setup a file/directory structure on your PC/Mac that has some kind of system. E.g. per year/month/topic... before you load the images into a catalogue. And don't forget to backup...
    • Leica is 'victim' of the US trade taxes imposed on German products. Here in Switzerland Leica prices are a lot more agreeable. There isn't a day that goes by when I don't cherish my Q2 Monochrome. The 'victim' of that -unfortunately- is my X-Pro2...
    • You can use a normal USB charger.