Computor size neded

When I used the 50r for a couple of years I used my 2012 iMac 27" with 1TB HD, and 16GB of Ram as well as my 2014 MacBook Air with 8G of Ram and 256G HD

Was it the best?  For me it was.  I shoot both JPEG & RAW at all times - and the files loaded fast enough.  The most I ever loaded at one time was over 9,000 files after a month in Colorado.  Does it take some time? YES.  But since I'm not a run and gun guy and am retired and don't do weddings or events any more I don't mind the wait as I have other things to do.

Now that I have the 100s those machines listed above just CHOKE.  They do work, but you need the patience of a saint plus don't even think about doing HDR/photo merges, etc.  Not happening.  Since I bought my 100s I've switched to a 2020 iMac 27"  5k retina with 16G of RAM.  I find the 100s files quite zippy - and I"m talking about the raw files as after I review the jpegs to decide what I want to keep/edit I chuck most of them.  My iMac is a intel I-core 5 which at the time was the basic model available.  Initially I bought it for my spouse to do her work on which is why I did not get more ram.  Had I known I would move my work flow to her iMac I would maybe have purchased more memory.  But, so far, I've done the 400MP stitching, photo merges, etc in LR and Photoshop, and I use Capture One for my post-processing and I am extremely happy.

Another item which I started using at the beginning of the year for the 50r and the 100s files is my iPad Pro.  I find that device to be a beautiful piece of equipment that I use both at home and on the road.  It's smooth, great and true color reproduction and FAST on JPEG's and RAW.  Since I only have the 512G version I use USBC Samsung Externals when needed.  

In a four weeks I'm headed to Alaska and the Arctic for two months to shoot travel and stock.  I'm not taking my laptop - only my iPad Pro.  I love working on it and have developed a workflow that works for me.  I'm packing two Samsung T5 SSD 1TB externals, plus two Lacie Rugged 1TB externals for storage and backup.  If I need additional storage I can pickup another external pretty much anywhere until I go to the more remote locations.

Hope that helps.  

Edited by jlmphotos

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2022 at 1:51 AM, Sabrejet said:

Thinking about the 100S. Read you need a lot of capacity for the large files. What would I need?

That's a really funny question, since it would have been easy to calculate it yourself based on the file sizes! 😜