35mm 1.4 Issues on X-Pro 2

I posted this on another user group but thought I'd post here as well just in case...

I've had my xpro2 for 2 days. I haven't done any major shoots or even really taken it through its paces. I've just been shooting around the house. But I've experienced something I never experienced with my XT-1...there have been a couple of times where my 35mm 1.4 will not auto focus. This never happened on my XT-1. I checked the lens firmware and it's up to date. I have to say, it's only happened a couple of times but knowing the lens like I do, this is something totally new that I've never seen before. 

By chance has anyone else run into this issue? Ive been contemplating the new 35mm but have been reluctant to give up a stop. 

You might need a larger focus frame.  If you focus using the OVF, the focus frame is often not where it is shown in the viewfinder because of parallax error.  So if the focus frame is on an area with noting to focus on, like a blank wall, the focus will be slow or will not work.  Using a larger focus frame (or the EVF) avoids the problem.

Fingers crossed, no problems with my 35 f1.4 on my new X-Pro2 (collected last Fri), I have also not experienced any issues with settings  - I did put a fully charged battery in and left it overnight and all settings have remained intact.

Yeah, the XF35 f/1.4 is a bit noisy although I only really notice it in quiet indoor situations. I mainly shoot it outdoors in cities so it doesn't bother me. The new XF35 f/2 is a lot less noisy, but optically not as good. Pick your poison – or own both. ;-)

Yeah, the XF35 f/1.4 is a bit noisy although I only really notice it in quiet indoor situations. I mainly shoot it outdoors in cities so it doesn't bother me. The new XF35 f/2 is a lot less noisy, but optically not as good. Pick your poison – or own both. ;-)

If we want to be really picky, the F2 is sharper at F2, but it doesn't contrast as good as the F1.4.

I went and pulled the trigger to have both, very recently anyway, I need another WR lens for another trip in Asia this summer anyway.

Yep it's always been noisy ...

Just this thread reminded me of it

Its also my least used lens 

Well, all good then! I would be more worried if it stopped making any kind of noise when using it rather :P

Then again, I use it on very regular basis.

Preferences, choices, and all that :]

I actually traded the 1.4 in for the 35mm 2 this weekend. It wasn't an easy decision and I would've kept both but I also picked up the 23mm. When I mounted the 35 2 I didn't think it was even working, it was so much quieter than any of my fuji lenses. I hope that tech is the future of the X series lenses. 

I really liked the images I got from the 1.4 but in the heat of the moment I felt like I missed too many shots waiting on it to hunt & peck for focus. Here's one of the last shots i took with the 1.4...at a friends and tried to snap a shot of his furry friend, who btw doesn't like to sit still and wait on a lens to find focus. 

So his nose is great! but he bounced before I got to his eyes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had one issue with the 35 F1.4 with AF missing with the OVF (and corrected frame was on).  But becuase of the WiFi issues locking up my camera often (I have since given up on using WiFi), I wondered if doing a manual reset would fix it and it appears to have worked.  AF with OVF appears to be good again.

I have not been tempted by the 35 F2 yet.  I find the original 35 F1.4 is very snappy on the X-Pro 2.  I cannot see myself parting with it.  It's a great lens.  Only lens I am parting with (finally) is my old Canon EF 50mm F1.4.  It's been hiding in my Pelican case and it will be for sale soon on a Canon Buy/Sell forum.

I still have not taking the X-Pro 2 out with me, just shooting the typical dogs, kids, photos around the house as I familarize myself with it (and don't feel it is firmware ready for trusted use).  Love ACROS... And so does my pup... this was with the 35 F1.4:

25079213523_0096fd4f8f_h.jpg

Nice shot! I'm loving the Acros as well. Speaking of canon lenses I finally parted with my 16-35 II. It was a painful departure but it was collecting dust. It was reborn as a Fuji 23mm which I'm loving as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shot! I'm loving the Acros as well. Speaking of canon lenses I finally parted with my 16-35 II. It was a painful departure but it was collecting dust. It was reborn as a Fuji 23mm which I'm loving as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally, I broke my old 35mm F2 and was going to try and get the Sigma Art 35 (but it was sold out everywhere); someone talked me into the X100S.  I now have the X100T.  I parted ways with a 14mm Samyang in favor of the 10-24 with the X-T1... and more recently, the 135L for the 90... and that was a harder sell for me, but the lighter weight was needed as I like both lenses.  I do not use the battery grip with my X-T1; just the optional XL hand grip.  It's nice to take a lighter weight camera out.

I did speak with Fujifilm support today about the issues I had with the 35 F1.4 on the X-Pro2.  They asked that I keep tabs on it.  Folks, call them if you have issues.  They have been excellent on the phone in the two cases I have needed to talk to them.  This is the US New Jersey location.

Hmm ... how does one add a picture to display here ?

Seems fair -- two dog pictures - now this with 35mm/f1.4 mounted on the PRO2 (That PRO2 focuses fast - WOW)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ShutterNot

Maybe teh 35 1.4 has its AF issues, but some of my best/favorite photo's have come from that lens. and when it nails focus boy does it nail focus.

I have found on my X-T1 since version 4 firmware came out that the Zone focus mode is your friend with this lens for everything apart from Blured DOF style portraits. For street F1.4-4 and ZF is very fast and get you there no problems for portraits where you want the eye in focus Single AF plus AF+MF mode and MF if you have the chance to really nail it is the way forward. Mixture of these techniques gives me AF I am happy with 

For reasons I won't explain here (suffice it to say that I plan to keep only one of the two lenses) I got my X-Pro2 with the 35mm f/2 lens even though I already have the 35mm f/1.4, a lens that I like a great deal and which has been on my XE1 almost all the time for the past three years.

My experience with the new camera is still too limited to speak authoritatively, but my initial impression is that the 35mm f/1.4 focuses faster on the new camera than on the old. (Not too surprising considering what my old camera is!) In most cases it focuses quite well, in fact. It also seems to me that the 35mm f/2 focuses even faster and in slightly more challenging circumstances of low light and contrast. 

Eventually I'll have to decide. It is going to be a tough decision. Part of my photography involves night street photography, and the  f/1.4 lens has been a standby for me when I do that stuff. Yet, the f/2 is smaller and faster and the maximum aperture is not that much smaller, coupled with the fact that the XPro2 probably produces images that are as good as those from the XE1 and at least a stop higher ISO.

Decisions!

Dan