x-t1 view finder lag in burst mode?

I am considering buying a used x-t1 for 730 euro, and have therefore read a lot of reviews online.

Most come to the same conclusion, but Imaging Resource also states that there is an "Significant viewfinder lag for burst shooting".

They did not test the camera with firmware 4.0, so my question is, has this been fixed in version 4.0 or later?

Best,

Peter

Most mirrorless cameras (all that I'm aware of) don't show a live view from in the EVF when shooting at high burst rate. They show the last recorded burst frame, which means what you are shown in the EVF is lagging one photo behind. That's one of the reasons why these cameras aren't great for certain action with erratic movement. 

I believe in slow burst (3 frames per second) it does show a live view, but as I have pretty much given up on action shooting with the Fuji cameras, I'm not 100% certain and Fuji doesn't list it in the specs and I'm too lazy to search on the web for that now.

I can confirm that this is an issue if you are trying to capture a subject that is somewhat difficult to follow. I've been somewhat successful at tracking birds in flight, but no where near what I could do with the DSLR. The main issue is there are slight freezes in the viewfinder with each photo meaning you have to be able to anticipate the movement without being able to see it.

Okay, so I guess that is where the rangefinder models come in handy with their hybrid viewfinders.

it may on the X-Pro2 if you are not using very long lenses. The X-Pro1 and X100 series are not really capable of focus tracking. The X-Pro2 has tracking, but remember the OVF viewfinder lines get smaller with the long lens you put on it. Mine has not yet arrived, hoping for this week, but early reviews say the EVF is much quicker recovering than previous models making it more usable. I can't wait for it to get here.

And the problem is bigger the longer the lens because make tiny movement and your subject is out of frame. I've just read a bit more about it and the X-Pro2 does support 3fps live view continuous shooting in EVF, same as the X-T1. Although the refresh rate and black out might be shorter due to the faster processor. 

I might get heat for that again, but let's face it: mirrorless cameras are crap for tracking erratic movements at ANY burst speeds, low or high doesn't really matter, both are practically useless. 

Tracking subjects that have a more predictable path is less of a problem with frame tracking and comes down to AF tracking capabilities and there you can generally say: the newer the camera the better it is. And AF tracking on modern mirrorless cameras has gotten really good. It's the frame  tracking that poses the biggest issue there and manufacturers are working on that, shortening blackouts and providing higher FPS view finders with lower latencies.

Edited by cug

I went birding with the X-T1 about two weeks ago. While the camera got me decent pictures here and there, it was a nightmare to follow up the birds with erratic flight pattern as the EVF turns black fully during the picture acquisition. Of course, the next time I go birding again, I will do better and even more so with subsequent visits. But I would have had a much easier time if I just took a D3S with any zoom lens.

But this is not just the X-T1, any mirrorless currently suffers from the black EvF during shooting, the only known exception is the Sony A6300, which works around that by displaying the shots on the EvF in burst mode, kind of stroboscopic-like. If you have epilepsy, better avoid the new Sony a6300.

What firmware do you use? My X-T1 does what you describe for the a6300: it shows the images taken, like a 8 fps slideshow.

4.2 but the slide show is much slower than 8 fps, it is way to slow to follow something with erratic movements

I just played around a bit, and I can get a black screen between the shots in two ways:

- setting the camera to CL

- if the camera can't acquire focus fast enough between two shots (and is set to focus priority).

That's sad, but it's the way it is. And as you mentioned, it will get better with upcoming cameras. A workaround for #2 is to release the shutter and half-press it again.

I think this is one of the compromises we have to make right now, to either have a responsive pure optical path but with a mirror, more bulk, weight and no exposure preview, or the mirrorless way with lag, but higher framerates.

Let's hope future mirrorless cameras will overcome this issue.

[...]

Let's hope future mirrorless cameras will overcome this issue.

Oh it will get there, I am not worried about it. The Sony a6300 is already showing the premises of it, even if their workaround can be prone to epilepsy. But really are going to get there.

In the meantime, APS-C DSLR is there to fill in the technical gap.

The right tool for the right job.

• 1 month later...

I switched to the Lexar 2000x UHS-II SDHC Memory Card (300Mbs) and it eliminated that problem.

It has nothing to do with the SD card, the camera HAS to turn off the EvF to send the information to the sensor instead of the EvF. 

The card is only going to shorten the time you need before you can review the shot.

That is still a subject where DSLR are preferable over mirrorless cameras.

X-Pro2 has an OvF, thus negating the issue altogether.

But should you be using the EvF, you will be facing pretty much the same issue.

The blackout on the X-Pro2 is much shorter than the X-T1... like an eyeblink... a big improvement.

The X-Pro2 does track live on Continuous Low (3 FPS). I can also shoot a bit faster than 3 FPS in single mode and the blackout is not a problem.

Under normal situation where you shoot mostly humans or relatively ok speed subjects, I am certain Fuji will perform all fine.

But when you put it under some stress with fast moving with erratic movements subjects that you see the EvF issues on mirrorless cameras. But the X-Pro series can work around that since they do have an OvF.

Under normal situation where you shoot mostly humans or relatively ok speed subjects, I am certain Fuji will perform all fine.

But when you put it under some stress with fast moving with erratic movements subjects that you see the EvF issues on mirrorless cameras. But the X-Pro series can work around that since they do have an OvF.

The EVF blackout on the X-Pro2 is much faster than the X-T1 and almost as fast as my Nikon (which I turned on today for the first time in over a year). 

There is no inherent tracking inferiority to an EVF compared to a DSLR. In fact, the mirror demands a physical blackout and it wont be long before the EVF's have no blackout and a refresh rate high enough that there is no downside (besides battery use).