Buy cheap xt1 or wait for xt2 in June?

Hi,

I have been given the opportunity to buy a used x-t1 for 730 euro. Rather okay price right? Looks like it is in excellent shape.

Or should I wait for the x-t2 (and obviously pay more) with no more waxy high iso jpegs, higher resolution and new x processor?

I already own the x100t, and while I like the image quality (which should be exactly the same as x-t1) I find the AF to be rather slow.

Best,

Peter

No, it is a rumor at fujirumors.com from a reliable source. And given the cameras age, and the recent discounts, it makes sense that Fuji upgrades the sensor and processor, now that the x-pro2 has revealed the two to exist.

I know people think that Fuji have given the x-t1 a lot of Kaizen love (and they have), but it is not just about customer satisfaction, but as much about keeping a camera with outdated specs (low pixel count and slow AF compared with the competition, and mentioned in most reviews) alive.

So therefore my question. Would it be a bad idea to buy an x-t1 so close - in theory - to the launch of the x-t2? Or should I just do it, now that I can get the x-t1 so cheap? It is cheap right? 

Edited by petergabriel

I can understand your dilemma. Have you considered getting the X-e2 or X-T10 as a stop gap? The X-E2 is a real bargain at the moment. It performs much better with the new firmware too and is in rangefinder format like your X100t.

Just a thought as this would mean a much smaller outlay. Also am I not right to believe the autofocus speed on both T1 and E2 to be the same now?

Hi Magnesi,

Yes, I have considered those options, but one of the knobs that attract me most on the x-t1 body is the iso dial. I find that is the one knob I miss most often when shooting with my x100t. Even using the Q menu to change the ISO is way to slow/cumbersome. And neither the x-e2 nor the x-t10 has the ISO dial.

Well, it might come in June, or not, after all the X-Pro 2 is still not in everyone’s pocket even now.

If you have the patience and, when the times come, the extra cash, and you believe that the nearly €500 to €1000 would buy you something that you need and will use buy the X-T2, otherwise don’t.

Let’s see what are the main probable ( since we are talking of a camera, de X-T2 which doesn’t exist, yet) 

1) 24Mp

2) extra Autofocus points and faster AF functions.

3) Better Video

4) other minor things such as Acros simulation

So , if any of these is a deal breaker wait for the X-T2 otherwise buy the X-T1 and be happy and more importantly take pictures now.

Because this is the thing: while having the latest camera is certainly hip and you too will be able to stand and be counted and discuss along with all the others who own that camera. The best camera is the one you use, not the one you own.

1) Do you print prints so large that the 24MP becomes a necessity to print something that you couldn’t print with a 16Mp? It is a possibility.

I might have had the need to do so but a conversation with the lab which does high quality exhibition printing told me that, to print 100 x 150 cm Exhibition grade museum quality print, I wouldn’t be having any visible difference. In fact they suggested I might even go quite a bit larger than that.

I have later on seen some on line tests by some person which appear to give the 24Mp some edge but only on your screen at the maximum possible magnification. I cannot comment on the methodology used.

However , seen what the lab told me and these tests showed, I have concluded that that” edge" is of no consequence to me.

2) I do mostly portraits, urban landscapes and still life photography.

If I use it at all,  use autofocus is and stays on a single shot and sigle point mode. I have only ever used the tracking functions for the sake of a test. Improvements in that area are completely useless to me.

3) I don’t shoot video and If I ever did I am sure that the X-T1, X-E2 quality would suffice my needs.

4) I don’t really care much for the newest film simulations, they can be replicated in different ways and are mostly, to me, just a gimmick.

So, if you can pay the extra cash that it will cost and you believe that the X-T2 will give you an edge that you will really use ( an unused blunt knife cuts just as well as an unused sharp one if they both stay in the drawer) and not something that it might do things that you never do.

Then wait and buy the X-T2!

You know the joke about the German guy who buys a Lamborghini but lives in a city with speed cameras everywhere so he has to cruise at 50Km and hour as everyone else.

So the only way for him to use the car is on the few stretches of the autobahn where there is no speed limit. So he goes to Frankfurt  every day to drive 500 Km and test his car at maximum speed.

After a few months a friend asks him about his Lambo and he says that he had sold it because he couldn’t waste his day going to Frankfurt every day!

The best tool is a too fit for the purpose, if you don’t have a purpose for the extra performance what are you doing with it?

In fact, If I were you I would buy a secondhand X-E2 or X-T10 and with the remaining money that you would have spent to buy the body of the X-T2 I would buy lenses.

Good luck!

He he, I can't afford a Lamborghini :-)

I am quite used to the x-trans II sensor having owned both an x100s and now an x100t, so from what I have read about the x-pro2, the much better AF (and overall speed) and the much better high iso images (no more waxy faces!) is what attracts me mostly about the theoretical new x-t2. The higher resolution would just be a bonus to me.

And I really like the ISO dial on the x-t1, so that rules out the other models you mention.

Hi milandro,

I get your point, but using the x100t I am wondering how much faster the x-t1's AF is, if e.g. used with the 35mm WR 2.0

I have kids, and A LOT of out of focus shots with the x100t as the AF can't keep track with my kids. Is the x-t1 AF much better?

I don’t use the X-T1 ( and the X-E2 that I’ve just bought) to track kids around but in my limited experience I had no trouble to track bikers and cars when the AF was updated 4.0,

I also had, prior to that shot some “ sand yachts” racing on the beach here in the NL and most images where sharp.

In my view, and if you don’t mind me saying that ( you may very well think it is a case of envy) the 24Mp would be seriously useless if used to shoot kinds especially if you, like most, never even bother to print the pictures.

Yes, the 24Mp is not that important, I was just hoping for faster AF with the x-t2 as I find the x100t somewhat lacking in that department, and being the x-t1 using the same processor and sensor, I wonder how much AF improvement the x-t1 with FW 4.0 has over the x100t.

Hi Magnesi,

Yes, I have considered those options, but one of the knobs that attract me most on the x-t1 body is the iso dial. I find that is the one knob I miss most often when shooting with my x100t. Even using the Q menu to change the ISO is way to slow/cumbersome. And neither the x-e2 nor the x-t10 has the ISO dial.

It's true that the ISO knob isn't available on these but with the new menu system i have the ISO option on the left fn button (of the four way selector) and find it very easy to press it and scroll up/down with the 4 way selector. All buttons are next to each other and I can do this with the camera still to my eye. This is much easier than it used to be via the Q menu.

Also with the X-T1 I believe the ISO dial locks in place. This means having to press a button to unlock and change settings.

Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

No, it is a rumor at fujirumors.com from a reliable source. And given the cameras age, and the recent discounts, it makes sense that Fuji upgrades the sensor and processor, now that the x-pro2 has revealed the two to exist.

Yes, it's only rumors. An other rumor says it will be launched at photokina in september. But it's only a rumor too.

I think the best way is to take a X-T1 now and to wait for the launch of the X-T2 in june, september or for christmas ! So you can practice with a fuji body before switching to X-T2.

I don’t have a X100t  to compare with my X-T1 but I really think that it has more to do with the shooting technique than with the camera itself.

In other words there were people shooting pictures of children moving around even with the first generation of cameras and getting this with acceptable results. 

There is no box which contains the ability to do this. The idea that you can buy chops in a box is really a chimera.

Edited by milandro

I use the 4-way controller to set AF points.

Thanks to all for their advice. I think I will go for the x-t1 now, and as many of you recommend, maybe switch to the x-t2 somewhere down the line. It is probably going to be very expensive any ways.

I believe the used price for a pristine x-t1 of 730 euro is quite cheap. Don't you agree? 

yes, €730 ( weird price why not 700?) is cheap.

Maybe, just maybe, they will sell cameras cheaper than this when the new model comes but it isn’t guaranteed at all.

I recently bought the X-E2 and had been waiting a long time ( I have the X-T1 for more than 1,5 year) for the price of secondhand bodies to come down and it really didn’t.

So, I bought one after much thinking at the available price.

that makes sense  ;)  :D  although I see people over here in the NL sometimes asking very precise amounts.

The other day someone was offering an adapter for €16,50 , now I know I can buy the exact same one, including shipping, on ebay, for €10 but I then have to wait 4 weeks.

So I told the guy, would you sell it for €15?

He told me that that wasn’t possible.

I bought the one on ebay. :rolleyes:

I am selling my XT1 with a battery grip , spare battery and 32gb card for £650 

Its mint and boxed and has just had a professional sensor clean 

Considering the Euro to pound rate I think mine may be a bargain :) 

Edited by Alf

I'm currently just using x100t and leaving x-t1 at home with multiple lenses. Found myself getting back into gas mode with x-t1 which defeats my initial reason to move to Fuji x. If I'm happy my plan is to just keep x100t. Feeling more liberated again

My original intent was to get an X-T2, upgrading from an X-E1.

After further thought, I decided that the X-T2's improvements over the X-T1, whatever they might be, are unlikely to be essential to my shooting.  Really the X-T1 is all that I need.

So about two weeks ago I bought a used X-T1 and, with the money I theoretically saved, an XF 90.  No regrets whatsoever. 

it takes all sorts, liberate the money invested in camera and various lenses then! Sell it cheap to OP!

Why not go out first and rent the X-T1 and just physically see if you need to wait for the X-T2 or not.

Then you know for a fact that you can say either...wow I saved so much money instead of purchasing that Lambo. Or...wow the Lambo is going to suit my needs perfectly and I can afford it!

I love how hardly anyone in any forums suggests this fact as it's the most inexpensive way to physically get your hands on what you are concerned about wanting to get before you "think" something that hasn't come out yet is so much better!

Czech

BTW...I did this when the X100t came out originally. I was making the move from the X100 to the next step up and I asked myself do I get the X100s or the X100t. Well I rented both of them and literally in the settings set them up the exact same way (as much as possible) and in the end I didn't feel that the features of the X100t was worth the extra $700-800 at the time. I sold my X100s later on for pretty much what I paid for it and then upgraded to the X100t when prices started to drop.

Edited by czechappleguy