Long expoure- Fuji GFX 100s

Hello, I bought GFX100s last month and was looking forward to use it for seascape long exposure photography. I was glad to note that now we can have shutter open till 60 minutes.

However, it is not as it seems. In shutter speed priority you can select -from 30 seconds, 1/2/3/4/5....till 60 minutes. but then aperture remains at 4 or lower. So if you want aperture to be 8 or 11 or anything other than 4 then we need to go to manual shooting. Unfortunately in manual shooting, it permits to shoot in 1/2/4/8/16/32/60 minutes....it doubles up every time you rotate dial, meaning you cannot set on 3//5/6/7/9/10....minutes.  If you you want to shoot at 3 minutes then u set exposure to 4 minutes and you can see countdown on LCD screen and when it reaches 3 minute, you need to manually stop the exposure. Or you can use remote to click the photo and keep an eye till each reaches desire minutes and manually stop the exposure. I am really surprised that Fuji is not giving full control of exposure in manual mode.

Unfortunately, third party intervalometer doesnt work with GFX 100s. So if you are taking 10 minutes exposure, you need to set it on 15/16 minutes and wait it till it reaches 10 minutes and manually shut down exposure. So you end up staring to your screen all the time. in other cameras with third party intervalometer, you can program as you like. I would appreciate guidance in this matter.

Hi, 

you are right and this is the way it works. For me it is a massive improvement how it works with Fuji and longtime exposure. Coming from Nikon (and what I have heard other brands have similar behaviour) where I always have the to carry and intervalometer or at least a remote release with lock, this is much easier. As you mentioned, there is always the possibility to end the long exposure before the end of the timer. 

PS: Yes, I know the the "time mode" with the Nikon. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...