camera freezes every time after fw 4.0 upgrade, can't use it

cross-posted:

just upgraded to fw4 yesterday morning. though a couple of things seemed odd(see below, #2 & #3) it worked fine for ~100 shots, then last night, out of the blue, it started acting up. tried to upgrade firmware again, used different cards & batteries but no luck. symptoms:

1. it doesn't record to memory card, i.e. i take the picture, the orange light stays lit (or before the second firmware upgrade try, it would light up green&orange intermittently - now it is a steady orange), if locks up the rear screen so that it stays on&shows whatever's in front of lens (i.e. as though i am composing to take a pic, but it won't come out of this mode - play button is useless, any other button is useless). camera doesn't turn off until i remove battery. when i restart, no image is recorded onto the card.

2. since the first upgrade, all icons in q menu only show iso, i can't modify them(it was this way immediately after upgrade, but i was still able to take pictures for about 100 frames; it is still this way)?

3. on the right bottom of rear screen, right above iso gauge, there is a darker, semi-translucent rectangle that is blank - it looks as though an indicator should be there but isn't (this also has been this way since first upgrade attempt, but it was working until last night). i put a shot of the back screen with this in the link below, as well as in the attachment to this post:

anyone else have this issue? any pointers as to what could be wrong would be much appreciated. thanks!

https://www.dropbox....G_0552.jpg?dl=0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am assuming that you’ve tried several other cards and that your card is of the right speed and specifications?

If that is the case...

Unfortunately, short of attempting to re-upload the software, which you appear to have done already, there aren’t any other options open to you other than taking the camera in for service.

Obviously this isn’t a common problem because by now there would be many more who would have experienced this and even if this was the case this would offer only the limited solace of knowing that you are not the only one but wouldn’t change much in the way of solving the problem.

There isn’t a reset button that we, the Fuji populace, know of and unfortunately they, the Fuji Gods on top of their mountain, are the only ones who can help you in your times of trouble.

Good Luck!

I am assuming that you’ve tried several other cards and that your card is of the right speed and specifications?

If that is the case...

Unfortunately, short of attempting to re-upload the software, which you appear to have done already, there aren’t any other options open to you other than taking the camera in for service.

Obviously this isn’t a common problem because by now there would be many more who would have experienced this and even if this was the case this would offer only the limited solace of knowing that you are not the only one but wouldn’t change much in the way of solving the problem.

There isn’t a reset button that we, the Fuji populace, know of and unfortunately they, the Fuji Gods on top of their mountain, are the only ones who can help you in your times of trouble.

Good Luck!

thanks for your reply, milandro.

yes, all cards are the uhs-2 type faster ones, and i did try 3 of them, all of which work fine on my xt-1.

i'll check with the fuji gods, hoping that they will like me :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Edit:

Apparently I fail at reading comprehension. On the firmware update page for X-E2 it says for upgrades from 1.00 to 4.00 to execute SET-UP > RESET > SHOOTING MENU RESET and SET-UP RESET. After doing that everything works and I am back in business. Hope this can help someone else.

Original post:

I just upgraded to 4.00 from today on my X-E2 and have a similar issue. @perspektive says it worked fine for ~100 shots, but mine failed right away. I also Googled solutions saying to upgrade the firmware again, use different cards, reformat the cards before and after the upgrade, and different batteries, but also no luck.

The first time I turn on the camera after the firmware upgrade:
1. The display only appears in the EVF, which is weird since I had set it to display in the LCD.
2. Taking a photo results in the rear LED to blink orange and green indefinitely
3. The UI is completely unresponsive at this point. I can no longer take new photos, change settings, go into menu, or interact in any way with the camera since I believe it's waiting for a disk write.
4. The on/off switch is also unresponsive. No way to turn off the camera except for ejecting the battery :-(

Any subsequent attempts to use the camera slightly differs in step 2:
1. The display only appears in the EVF, regardless of if I changed it in the last run.
2. Taking a photo no longer causes the rear LED to blink or to turn on at all.
3. UI is unresponsive again.
4. On/off switch also unresponsive. Eject battery :-(

This is definitely reproducible across my Transcend and SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards, and my Fuji and third-party batteries.
Edited by leyanlo

I am sorry for you, something must have gone wrong with your upload too, again obviously this is not something that is happening across the board because there would be many more reports here and thy don’t seem to be there and this update was certainly not an hasty one, since it took ages to bring about.

The display thing might be as intended since, if I remember well, mine had also set itself to that too ( which might have been the original setting for this camera when new, I don’t know because I bought it secondhand).

Sorry, I have no Idea what UI is. I always prefer to write the things out and then only when repeating a term using an acronym.

There is nothing else that you can do other then doing what you’ve already done. If you cannot even rest to factory settings at this point the only thing you’ve left is having the camera serviced.

Good luck.

Sorry, I have no Idea what UI is.

UI could be a User Interface. Though my UI is ok in general, battery indicator doesn't display the remaining time anylonger. It happened not right after sw upgrade but after a while.

• 2 months later...

Hi .

I am new to this forum because I need help :-)

I am not new to photography ( Film and Digital, over 40 yrs )

Been using my XE2 with 18-55 2.8 R LM OIS lens for about a year with no problems....really like it

This morning whilst taking close up shots everything was normal, then pressing the shutter button the screen froze, purple lines appeared on the LCD, buttons locked inc the battery on off switch, the only way to turn off was to remove the battery.

New battery inserted ...starts normally , seems to display the view on rear screen ok then on touching any button it locks the scene, locks all buttons, nothing functions inc menu button and again only turns off by removing the battery.

I have not done any firmware updates, not had to it worked fine until today....seems like a similar problem to the one in this thread but without me doing a firmware update.

any clues as to what might be wrong?

How do I get it to reset if thats whats needed...I cant access the menu to even do a firmware update....

Stumped.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I think that only a trip to the repair shop might work. 

You can’t do anything if you aren’t even able to update the firmware. Firmware updates fix also bugs. Avoiding updates might protect you from new bugs but it might expose you precisely to bugs of the previous firmware.

But this sounds more like some serious malfunction. Sorry. Good luck!

Edited by milandro

Not sure why anybody would use an UHS-II card in an UHS-I card slot. Sounds like a potential source for errors if the card's UHS-I emulation mode is faulty. I have also documented a few problems with Lexar 2000x cards in UHS-II cameras, which can cause errors with some of my cameras or even particular card slots in multi-slot models. OTOH, Lexar 2000x is the fastest UHS-II I have tested, so I like to use it as long as it works in my particular camera or slot.

In any case, good luck having the camera reconfigured.

Edited by flysurfer

I have not done any firmware updates, not had to it worked fine until today....seems like a similar problem to the one in this thread but without me doing a firmware update.

Does it mean that you can't enter firmware update menu? What happens if you turn off camera, hold "DISP BACK" button and turn camera ON?

Hi all.

contacted fuji and they suggested stuff I had already tried, had to send it back to them for repair, which was very quick ...posted it special delivery onday lunchtime, they received it 8:00 am next day and I got it back on the wednesday at 12:00 couriered.

Basic fixed repair cost was £115 I upped it to Fast track for an extra £10 ( guarantees max of 2 days in workshop)

They replaced the front cover? which I think only has the 3 position rotary focus switch attached and updated the firmware in both camera and lens.

All working perfectly again but I cant help wondering why it broke...anyone else had a problem with this switch? is it a weakness.

Anyhow its back working and 12months warranty...all within 4 days.

Thanks again

Rob

I am sorry, was you camera still under warranty?

They charged you £115?I understood that you only had a software problem. Did I miss something?

Are you sure you don’t want to get in touch with the Tokyo head office to ask if this is the Fuji policy in general or just Fuji UK being extravagant?

I am sorry, was you camera still under warranty?

They charged you £115?I understood that you only had a software problem. Did I miss something?

Are you sure you don’t want to get in touch with the Tokyo head office to ask if this is the Fuji policy in general or just Fuji UK being extravagant?

I've had nothing but good experiences with Fuji UK (well... One time they could've handled my expectations a little better... And it would nice if they could be bothered to reweet me) but -for me- their service has been tip top

Hi .

I am new to this forum because I need help :-)

I am not new to photography ( Film and Digital, over 40 yrs )

Been using my XE2 with 18-55 2.8 R LM OIS lens for about a year with no problems....really like it

This morning whilst taking close up shots everything was normal, then pressing the shutter button the screen froze, purple lines appeared on the LCD, buttons locked inc the battery on off switch, the only way to turn off was to remove the battery.

New battery inserted ...starts normally , seems to display the view on rear screen ok then on touching any button it locks the scene, locks all buttons, nothing functions inc menu button and again only turns off by removing the battery.

any clues as to what might be wrong?

How do I get it to reset if thats whats needed...I cant access the menu to even do a firmware update....

Stumped.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Rob's (shimshams) post doesn't read like software to me...

he knows from the report so he might tell us.

In any case it’s a lot of money for a camera that didn’t suffer any trauma from falling or being dropped in water.

let's hope so...

the parts cost what they cost... if you break a part in one way or a different way, the cost of that part is the same, no?

• 2 months later...

Edit:

Apparently I fail at reading comprehension. On the firmware update page for X-E2 it says for upgrades from 1.00 to 4.00 to execute SET-UP > RESET > SHOOTING MENU RESET and SET-UP RESET. After doing that everything works and I am back in business. Hope this can help someone else.

Yes!  It helped me. :)  I was having some of the same problems you and the OP mentioned.  Followed your steps, and voilà!  It's all back to normal.  I've never installed a firmware update before just because I was afraid I'd screw something up.  Thought I'd read all the instructions carefully enough to avoid problems, but no.  Fortunately, I found this forum. :)