Users without a profile

Guest Ridgeback

Guest Ridgeback

I wonder who the users are which are permanently online but have no profile: Bing, Yahoo, Google, ...

They never post and always lurk. Do they spy on what we do here? Catalog out photographs and make a record of our posts?

They are neither members, nor guests nor admins ... Is there a way to keep this riffraff out? Especially Google who is infamous for information gathering and spying as any European should know.

Bing, Yahoo, Google are robots of the search engines which are indexing the forum.

I can try to make them invisible - but it's absolutely vital for the forum that they do they work.

About 50% of visitors find us via Google & Co - without them the forum would become a lonely place...

And:

- No, they are not spying you.

- Yes, they are „spying“ our content and make it visible to the web - BTW - this is what the web is meant for.

Andreas

Guest Ridgeback

As a multimedia designer I am quite aware of what the internet is for, how bots (incl. malware bots) work and how to control them using the meta tags noindex, nofollow,noarchive, nosnippet, noodp, noimageindex, their opposites, etc. Even of how to control specific search engine bots on an individual basis including return intervals.

Which is exactly why I asked my question. Your answer was typically oberlehrerhaft and in future I shall resist the temptation to try and discuss such issues on an intelligent level. Please delete my account and content.

Your answer was typically oberlehrerhaft and in future I shall resist the temptation to try and discuss such issues on an intelligent level.

Oberlehrerhaft, you crack me up. Someone knows what he's talking about: click me to see an Oberlehrer

Please delete my account and content.

Yes, yes, yes, please!

Edited by Jano

Andreas:

I am a "photo enthusiast" of 5 years standing who migrated to Fuji from Nikon 3 years ago with an initial purchase of an X-Pro 1 and the 35mm f/1.4 (an X-Pro 2 is on pre-order with B&H).  I use the forum to get an all-around idea of what is happening in the Fuji world in particular, and photography more generally.   Spying is a foreign concept to me in the context of a camera system's forum. Please keep up the good work.

I read the posts to try to learn.  When I do write something, I get little to no response because I don't know the technology.  To get a response you have to use lots of initials.  OVF and EVF are essential.  "I was having tea with my EVF and I kicked the OVF out."  "No!  No!  You are a fool.  Only OVF takes tea."  Equipment brag gets attention.  "The only lens I use is a UT-1 made in Germany during the First World War."  I guess I am a lurker.  I stand back and try to figure things out (and do a lot of google searching) so I can take good photos.

[...] so I can take good photos.

In the end, isn't that all that matters ? :]

Not all of use are that keep on the acronyms and all, but after a while you will known them and start using them yourself, kind of a lingo but just for photography.

We can all argue all we want about what X does that Y might do better while Z is laughing his arse off because A, B and C did something else. But what really matters is really that picture you took the other looks pleasing to you.